Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Child Abuse Article on CNN - Worse than murder?

Child Abuse Article on CNN - Worse than murder?
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 11:44 PM

So I read this article on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/03/fam....ap/index.html

Synopsis: Couple had three children, two of which were 14 year old boys, 80 pounds underweight for children their age. They were tortured via Electric Shock, having their toenails pulled out with pliers and had food withheld from them.

This couple will most likely get a 20-40 year sentence unless prosecutors can link multiple counts of child abuse together to give them like 10x 20 year consecutive sentences with Child Abuse. But this is worse than murder to me. You murder someone and you take their life, end of story. Here we have a couple not only destorying the lives of three children, but these children will end up being so messed up they may destroy other lives because they are psychologically disturbed.

In my opinion, there needs to be tougher Child Abuse laws. First time offenders of this nature should be treated to maximum security prison, life sentence with no possibility of parole. Make sure they get a chance to mingle with the other inmates in a private prison yard with a blind guard on a watch tower as well.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 11:50 PM

i agree but there needs to be two levels of child abuse laws. if you spank your child "too violently" then you should not be sent to big boy prison. but if you are torturing the children like in this case it should definitely be a stiffer punishment.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 11:51 PM

I would start an online petition if I were you.

And oh yeah, I agree.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 11:55 PM

That's sick... how can you be 80 pounds under weight? I can understand being a bit thin but... how did they get that old without anyone noticing?

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
how did they get that old without anyone noticing?
They were probably kept home from school or something like that. But I also agree with Mafia that there has to be different levels of child abuse, just like there are for murder, manslaughter, etc (thanks law & order ).

SuperNova

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
That's sick... how can you be 80 pounds under weight? I can understand being a bit thin but... how did they get that old without anyone noticing?
"At least three children were severely malnourished, including twin 14-year-old brothers who weighed just 36 and 38 pounds each -- about 80 pounds below the normal weights for their age, police said."

That is sick.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 12:23 AM

THe funny thing is many people don't want gays to get married because they think it would be "damaging" to the children.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
THe funny thing is many people don't want gays to get married because they think it would be "damaging" to the children.
NO! We will not turn this thread into a Gay Marriage Debate. Please don't!

While I don't believe in spanking a child, there is definitely a difference between corporal punishment and this. I think this is what Uday Hussein used to do to Athletes in the country if they lost games. Wouldn't the regime strap them to a metal bed frame and then electrocute it? or was it that they filled a small room with a shallow amount of water and then electrify the water so anywhere they stood or stepped they would be electrocuted? Hell we went in there and 'shock'd and aw'd' that place, these people need a little USAF on their a**

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
NO! We will not turn this thread into a Gay Marriage Debate. Please don't!
I don't think he was. I think how he was just comparing it to the stupid things people say when they don't know what they're talking about to reality. On the other hand, he may have been, he can speak for himself.

SuperNova

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Super Nova:
I don't think he was. I think how he was just comparing it to the stupid things people say when they don't know what they're talking about to reality. On the other hand, he may have been, he can speak for himself.

SuperNova
No I wasn't insinuating that he would make it about gay marriage but we'd have some a-hole come in here and start preaching about gay marriage and get up on a soap box. I think he's 100% right, crap this thread is already derailing...AND I'M A PART!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Super Nova:
I don't think he was. I think how he was just comparing it to the stupid things people say when they don't know what they're talking about to reality.
Exactly, it is just ironic that's all.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 4, 2005, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
So I read this article on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/03/fam....ap/index.html

In my opinion, there needs to be tougher Child Abuse laws. First time offenders of this nature should be treated to maximum security prison, life sentence with no possibility of parole. Make sure they get a chance to mingle with the other inmates in a private prison yard with a blind guard on a watch tower as well.
For once, you and I agree. You too Mafia.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 01:16 AM

The seven children were removed from the home last month after one of them called an ambulance for a 16-year-old boy who weighed less than 60 pounds and had suspicious injuries on his head and neck.
Pity the kids didn't do something sooner.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
i knew it would happen one day.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 01:37 AM

Electrocution is death. So while you don't electrocute water, or a metal bed, you can shock a person (non-lethal), and you can run current through something.

<spaceghost>Is that clear with everyone? </spaceghost>

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Do we usually not agree?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 12:17 PM

That is very sad. Such evil in our midst.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 12:28 PM

I read this article too. I was sickned by it. I hope they find these people and they should have the same thing done to them.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 11:06 PM

They look insane to me.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by f1000:

They look insane to me.
I know someone (more seen than know..) who looks EXACTLY like the one on the right.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 12:24 AM

pretty sad, i hope all the kids get better and rebuild their lives. lock those loonies up - i personally wouldn't mind punching both of them in the face a few times.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 12:56 AM

Have they found these assholes yet? They've apparently gone on the lam in a big RV. They sound real smaaaaart.

But what the HELL motivates someone to treat children like that? How could they have justified it to each other?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 11:38 AM

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 07:15 PM

Put the ****ers in max. security and let Bubba take care of 'em... for a hell of a long time.

Sick.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

fireside
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 10:39 PM

while i agree that this stuff is horrible and that they should be in jail for life, i fail to see how torturing them or sticking them in a room with "Bubba" is "a-okay." personally, i think that there is a bigger problem here: how did this family get 7 adopted children, and how come no one noticed this earlier? if they had 7 adopted children, shouldn't someone had been sent in to check up on them when they requested more or however you adopt someone?

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 6, 2005, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:

Forum Links
Forum Rules