Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > old charger with iTouch

old charger with iTouch
paularizer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2007, 11:28 PM

I have an old ipod charger that came with my ipod mini. it's the one with a firewire cord that plugs into the charger (not usb like they have today). I'm wondering if it's safe to use with my new ipod touch. I'm afraid not to fry it or damage it in some way.

Also, did anyone notice how the cord that came with the itouch doesn't have those grip release buttons on the end that plugs into the ipod? It just slides out. Is it safe to use the old style cords on it?
12" PowerBook G4 - 1.33 GHz 768 MB RAM - OS X 10.5.1

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2007, 01:15 AM

yes to everything you asked

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2007, 01:17 AM

That's a good question. Someone else on the 'net reasoned that if the iTouch is still compatible with other iPod dock types of connections, it should still work with a Firewire charger; that makes sense to me. Others around here probably know for sure.

As for the iTouch cable no longer having the side grips, that's very interesting, too. Don't have any definitive answers for you, but my touch should be coming in the next few days so. . . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2007, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Others around here probably know for sure.

Don't have any definitive answers for you, but my touch should be coming in the next few days so. . . .

I just said....

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 01:45 AM

Official answer from Apple:

iPod: Minimum System Requirements

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2007, 02:01 AM

Good find, James.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

paularizer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2007, 01:56 PM

The answer is a resounding yes!

Thanks everybody.
12" PowerBook G4 - 1.33 GHz 768 MB RAM - OS X 10.5.1

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
As for the iTouch cable no longer having the side grips, that's very interesting, too. Don't have any definitive answers for you, but my touch should be coming in the next few days so. . . .
iPhone doesn't have it either. I thought it was weird for about a second when I plugged it in for the first time and and then immediately forgot about it when I turned my attention to the gorgeous screen.
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules