Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Macbook, Leopard, Boot Camp partition restart prompt issues.

Macbook, Leopard, Boot Camp partition restart prompt issues.
vahnroi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2008, 06:26 PM

Greetings

I own an intel macbook, I bought it about 2 weeks before leopard was released. I later upgraded to leopard.

I've been attempting to install windows on my macbook using the bootcamp utility. After countless "verification errors" I've finally finish the partitioning process and have been prompted by a message in 4 different languages to restart to my computer.

The message reads in english
"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button"

Now I've tried holding down the power button since I do not know of any reset button my laptop. The computer shuts down and when it reboots I get a lovely message telling me my computer shut down after OSX unexpectedly quit. Low and behold I check my hard drive and no partition to be found. I have gone through this twice.

So my question is...how do I restart my computer in this situation so that the partition can take effect?

:edit: third attempt failed. upon starting my computer up again I held the power button down until it flashed. All that did was cause my machine to make a loud beep and I still recieved the same irritating message upon loading.

Cold Warrior
Feb 24, 2008, 06:37 PM

Sounds like your drive's OS X install is corrupt or the drive itself is messed up (or both).

Verification errors are indicators of possible hard drive issues.

You need to boot from your OS X install disc and run Disk Utility to check for drive problems. It will fix them if it can.

If you have a second Mac, boot your Macbook into target disk mode and backup your data.

vahnroi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2008, 06:41 PM

I've run the disk utility multiple times and it can't find any issues. But I've fix that issue with the fsck -f command.

The issue at hand is how do I restart my computer when prompted without getting that annoying error message upon loading up? I mean it goes through the whole partitioning process and then tells me to restart, so I can only assume it's sucessful in doing so and the error lays in how I'm rebooting my machine.

Cold Warrior
Feb 24, 2008, 06:57 PM

fsck doesn't check for or fix hard drive errors.

If you're getting the screen, it means your computer is getting kernel panics. When you force restart/shutdown your machine by holding down the power button, you will always get the message at startup.

Also, I would not assume it partitioned correctly. If you were continually getting verification errors (the norm), then it suddenly worked and partitioned, it's more likely your partition table got hosed.

Can you boot up and log in to OS X?

vahnroi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2008, 07:00 PM

yes, and as far as I can tell it's as if didn't even attempt to partition my hard drive at all.

:edit: tried the disk repair, said it fixed whatever the problem was, then tried to partition again, got the verification error.
( Last edited by vahnroi; Feb 24, 2008 at 07:10 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 24, 2008, 07:13 PM

Start the MacBook with your Leopard disc in the drive, and hold the 'C' key when you hear the chime-this will force the computer to start from the disc. Once it finishes starting up, click on the Tools menu and select Disk Utility. When running Disk Utility this way you CAN check and fix the whole drive. I recommend you do this before doing anything else. It should identify any issues, including whether the partition table has been destroyed or damaged.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

vahnroi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2008, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the tip.

I feel kind of retarded now as I just discovered the "repair disc" button, before I had been repairing the disc permissions.

I booted from the disc and ran the disc utility, it found 2 errors.

"Volume Bit Map needs minor repair" and "Invalid volume free block count"

at the end of the disc repair I got the lovely "disc repair sucessful" message.

::edit:: No verification error this time, but I did get the "you need to restart your computer prompt" error again. Upon reloading, no partition.
I'm attempting another partition now.
( Last edited by vahnroi; Feb 24, 2008 at 07:48 PM. )

vahnroi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2008, 08:07 PM

Ok, so I found another topic on the forums about this issue as well as http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6626910&#6626910]this topic on the apple site, so I'll just watch those from this point on. Thanks for your help.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 02:06 AM

I ran into this issue as well. It is quite common with people making new partitions in 10.5.2 using BCA. Seems to be an issue with fragmentation.

I restored to my previous state in Time Machine via the OS X install disc
I backed up again before I did this next step.
Then I booted from the OS X Install Disc again, this time going to Disk Utility.
I partitioned 16GB to a smaller partition. (This is how big my Windows partition was going to be)
Then deleted the partition I just created.
Then dragged my original partition to the full amount.
Restart the computer.
Run Boot Camp assistant. It should run smoothly now.

(Please back up)
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules