Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I need help with my father's computer . . .

I need help with my father's computer . . .
alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2009, 02:16 PM

I convinced my father to switch to an iMac a few years ago, which was a good for his needs. He has a MobileMe account, but has been having trouble with the account staying online. Because of this, he often decides (incorrectly) that he needs to change his password. That's when the trouble starts. He often forgets what his password is, and complains that he cannot get into his e-mail account. He also has trouble when he "tries things" and they don't work. He cannot get his computer back to the original state and I often have to restore files from his Time Machine backup drive (I really love Apple for this feature alone!). I do most of my troubleshooting his machine via Apple's Remote Desktop (version 3.3).

Here's my question. I know that he will cause more and more problems over time and I'd like to stop as many as possible from happening in the first place. What can I do? Should I create a non-administrator account for him and limit what he can do with his own computer? Is there a way to lock down passwords so he cannot change them?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2009, 02:37 PM

A non-admin account would probably be a good start.

Also, maybe think about something that will help him to remember passwords, like a password safe.
I really like 1Password, but it might be a bit of an overkill.

-t

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2009, 03:29 PM

For some reason, he changed his MobileMe password AGAIN this week, then can't figure out why his account won't work with the old password. I was able to use the "forgot password" link on Apple's site to reset it, but this is happening a lot now. I know this problem won't get better over time, and if I could stop that problem alone, it would be a big help.

Apple should have a feature called "let my kid administer my account."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
For some reason, he changed his MobileMe password AGAIN this week, then can't figure out why his account won't work with the old password. I was able to use the "forgot password" link on Apple's site to reset it, but this is happening a lot now. I know this problem won't get better over time, and if I could stop that problem alone, it would be a big help.

Apple should have a feature called "let my kid administer my account."
Does your dad need to know the password ?

Couldn't you change it, make sure it's in the keychain, and let Safari auto-fill the password when he goes to the website ?

Other than that: Why the f*ck is your dad doing this ?

-t

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 24, 2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Does your dad need to know the password ?

Couldn't you change it, make sure it's in the keychain, and let Safari auto-fill the password when he goes to the website ?
I think that would be the best option. It sounds like your Dad isn't getting the message that he doesn't need to change the password every week. You need to take away his password changing privileges.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2009, 03:57 PM

I went over there yesterday, and things are a lot worse than I imagined. He is having screen dimming problems when waking from sleep, as well as spinning beach balls waaaay too frequently. I may need to reinstall Snow Leopard for him. I fixed the screen dimming by turning off the "dim screen before sleep" preference, but oddly enough, his problem was only when waking from sleep, not going to sleep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules