Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm in Green Bay and need something to do!

I'm in Green Bay and need something to do!
alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2010, 07:49 PM

My family and I stopped in Green Bay, Wisconsin and have a day and a half. We just finished a long car ride and will leave soon for another long car ride. While we are here, what should we do? Our kids range from 4 to 11. We need something to do (and it is not football season).

Thanks!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2010, 07:51 PM

Still, visit Lambeau Field. Grab a beer there at Curly's pub.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2010, 08:31 PM

There isn't anything to do in Wisconsin at all.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
There isn't anything to do in Wisconsin at all.
Yeah, I realize that, and my kids have made that clear on the car ride. Hence the post here saying "Help, what do I do in Green Bay?" This place is certainly interesting. Not what I'd call a great family town - more known for businesses than anything else. Still, what do the locals do with kids around here???

Railroader
Banned
Jul 26, 2010, 12:07 AM

The most fun I ever had in Green Bay was leaving the place. Boring!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2010, 12:37 AM

Go see Lambeau, eat at Brett's grill, buy a foam cheese head.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2010, 03:13 AM

Oshkosh Airshow starts tomorrow, that's not very far from you. If you've never been before, it's an incredible experience. EAA AirVenture Oshkosh Schedules and Maps

Not sure which way you're headed when you leave town, but there's a mustard museum in Middleton, WI. I think that's near Madison. National Mustard Museum - Middleton, WI

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2010, 07:29 AM

Stop by Schneider Transport, learn to drive a semi.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2010, 09:30 AM

A mustard museum?

Seriously?

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
A mustard museum?

Seriously?
I know, how awesome is that?! They have 5,000 jars of mustard from around the world that you can try. They also have a gift shop with all kinds of mustard and college style clothes that say witty things like Poupon U.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2010, 01:47 PM

Pickup a Vikings #4 Jersey?
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2010, 02:05 PM

This thread is the reason why no one will ever announce that they're taking their talents to Green Bay
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

andi*pandi
Jul 27, 2010, 02:06 PM

The children's museum, art museum, and natural history museum in Milwaukee were quite nice. Go there!

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 27, 2010, 06:27 PM

Go to oshkosh for the air show, or go to Milwaukee. Rest is boring, really.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2010, 06:49 PM

Well, we did the Bay Beach amusement park and wildlife sanctuary. Then we stayed one more night and left. Nice city, but it is seriously lacking in anything interesting to do. Why anyone lives there is beyond me. I also can't figure out why they don't focus more on their connection to the lake. We ate at one restaurant that was near the lake, but even that wasn't very close to the lake itself - just a minor view from some windows. What a disappointment. If it wasn't for the Packers, Green Bay has almost nothing at all, and that is very evident by the focus on the stadium, even in the off season. Even the news talked about the stadium, showing a stadium cam as a sign of what was happening, which was nothing! I'm guessing the city comes to life during a Packers game, but that's about it.

finboy
Jul 27, 2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
Oshkosh Airshow starts tomorrow, that's not very far from you. If you've never been before, it's an incredible experience. EAA AirVenture Oshkosh Schedules and Maps
Holy crap! You should go to THAT.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 27, 2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Well, we did the Bay Beach amusement park and wildlife sanctuary. Then we stayed one more night and left. Nice city, but it is seriously lacking in anything interesting to do. Why anyone lives there is beyond me. I also can't figure out why they don't focus more on their connection to the lake. We ate at one restaurant that was near the lake, but even that wasn't very close to the lake itself - just a minor view from some windows. What a disappointment. If it wasn't for the Packers, Green Bay has almost nothing at all, and that is very evident by the focus on the stadium, even in the off season. Even the news talked about the stadium, showing a stadium cam as a sign of what was happening, which was nothing! I'm guessing the city comes to life during a Packers game, but that's about it.
You would be correct. They don't really have much industry, or commerce, or anything. They do have the premier hyundai genesis coupe tuner though... beyond redline. They do a lot of AWD dyno stuff and have some pretty nice stuff parked outside the shop at any given moment.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
You would be correct. They don't really have much industry, or commerce, or anything. They do have the premier hyundai genesis coupe tuner though... beyond redline. They do a lot of AWD dyno stuff and have some pretty nice stuff parked outside the shop at any given moment.
Actually, they do have one distinction; they are the home base for Schneider Transport, one of the largest trucking companies in America (and I believe they're the largest full truckload company in the country). In addition to Schneider employing thousands of people in GB, they employ over 15,000 drivers nationwide, have approximately 50,000 freight trailers, and numerous freight terminals throughout the country. On any given day, Schneider moves about 3% of America's truck freight. They have unique, pumpkin colored semis and trailers, so they're very noticeable. I spent a month there once, learning to drive one of those rigs. You are right about the town, though; it's boring.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2010, 12:11 AM

Why would anyone recommend to go to Milwaukee?

Its a hole first of all. Second, its like two and a half hours away. From Green Bay you'd be better off going into Michigan or Canada rather than MWK. If you are going to drive that distance with kids the Dells are about the same drive time.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 28, 2010, 12:16 AM

Milwaukee is pretty fun. It sucked 5-10 years ago but there's a lot of hotspots, the art museum is great, discovery world and the aquarium are amazing, fair grounds, summerfest, and tons of fantastic bars.

Forum Links
Forum Rules