Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The most pointless car ever?

The most pointless car ever? (Page 2)
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You know what they say about assuming?

Sure, they made an SUV with a ridiculous engine that handles really good for an SUV, I'd still rather buy a 911 if I was going to drop money on a Porsche. Why the hell would I want an ugly truck Porsche, what's the point?
It handles really well for any vehicle, SUV, CUV, truck, or car, and the point is it does it while being able to carry things. The other point is that you don't have to buy one if you don't want, and I'm sure there are things you own that others see as ridiculously pointless. Or, as a famous songsmith once wrote, "Don't criticize what you don't understand, 'cause the times they are a changing."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2010, 12:43 AM

Did I miss something, or is this not the thread about opinions on pointless cars?

I gave one, deal with it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2010, 01:58 AM

You know what they say about assuming?

Sure, they made an SUV with a ridiculous engine that handles really good for an SUV, I'd still rather buy a 911 if I was going to drop money on a Porsche. Why the hell would I want an ugly truck Porsche, what's the point?
Hey, at least Porsche have the balls to offer it in a manual. In America.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Lamborghini - I used to live beside a Lamborghini dealership. The only time I'd ever see them driven is when the owners drove them to the dealer to get their regular 6-month maintenance. It's not as if they drove them at any other time.
Yes, I always drive my car past the dealership every time I take it out, even if the dealership is 30 miles north and I'm going south, east or west.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 04:38 AM

I'd still rather buy a 911 if I was going to drop money on a Porsche. Why the hell would I want an ugly truck Porsche, what's the point?
You want a Porsche.
Your Mrs wants something practical that you can carry her, the kids and the shopping in.

So you're getting a Cayenne. Or a divorce.

parsley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2010, 05:20 AM

Pointless car ever is the VW Phaeton.

/end thread
With Great Routers Comes Great Responsibility

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 05:41 AM

It's as pointless as any luxury limousine. I've met a number of people who drive (or are driven in) one. They're really very, very nice cars. The point, of course, being the upscaling of the Volkswagen brand.

-Q-
Aug 27, 2010, 07:19 AM

Which has always confused me: if you wanted an upscale VW, isn't that why you bought an Audi?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2010, 07:24 AM

AMC Pacer.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Which has always confused me: if you wanted an upscale VW, isn't that why you bought an Audi?
Yeah, the branding is weird. I think the Phaeton was Piëch's pet project.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 27, 2010, 09:32 AM

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2010, 10:42 AM

My dad drives a Phaeton right now. At first I was opposing that decision a bit but it sure is a great car. He has always driven cars in that segment (2x 7-series and too many to count S-classes. No Audis though, he hates them) and the Phaeton is by far the best one. And thanks to the brand image the cheapest one as well!

As for the thread: BMW 5GT and X6 and in the near future the smaller GT model. Answers to quesions that were never asked and ugly to boot.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 10:43 AM

Once read an interview with Piëch about the Phaeton. It's a halo car, designed to drag VW upmarket - that's its entire point. IIRC, VW actually make a loss on each one sold. Essentially, VW's Maybach.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2010, 10:59 AM

For pointless I'd say Suzuki X90. It was a 2 seater soft off roader (based on the Vitara), but a pickup or hatch body would be far too sensible, no no they made it a saloon... with a boot spoiler!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 11:05 AM

^ Thread winnar.

-Q-
Aug 27, 2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Once read an interview with Piëch about the Phaeton. It's a halo car, designed to drag VW upmarket - that's its entire point. IIRC, VW actually make a loss on each one sold. Essentially, VW's Maybach.
Interesting strategy, especially considering they're also going downmarket with their new Jetta (and have a goal of tripling sales by 2018). Sounds like they're not sure what they want their brand to be.

As for useless vehicle:

Ugly AND poorly made. I shudder every time I see one.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 27, 2010, 11:59 AM

That's not even the production version.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2010, 12:01 PM

Another great pick.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
For pointless I'd say Suzuki X90. It was a 2 seater soft off roader (based on the Vitara), but a pickup or hatch body would be far too sensible, no no they made it a saloon... with a boot spoiler!

They say smoking stunts your growth, but that's just silly.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Interesting strategy, especially considering they're also going downmarket with their new Jetta (and have a goal of tripling sales by 2018). Sounds like they're not sure what they want their brand to be.
Bear in mind that this interview was about three months before Phaeton was launched, so 8-odd years ago. Strategy could have changed since then (what with all the credit crunch and everything).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 12:26 PM

I was amazed to drive a newish Passat and find it surprisingly luxurious.

Volkswagen used to build affordable cars.

They've passed that on in-house, to Skoda, I guess, though they're Steveing them now to some extent because they've been eating into VW's market.

Also, Piëch is gone and VW now owns Porsche, so there may be some re-positioning going on in recent years.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Also, Piëch is gone and VW now owns Porsche
Wait. What?

Wiki check (don't know how accurate):
Piëch (and Wolfgang Porsche) owns Porsche SE.
Porsche SE also owns VW AG, which owns VW Group, which owns the Audi, VW, Bentley, Bugatti, Skoda, Lambo and Seat marques.
And now Porsche AG.

Tax move? It's still owned by the same two families. OK, OK. The same one family.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 27, 2010, 01:04 PM

This:

I.... .. HHHAAATTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEE this car. HATE. HATE HATE HATE HATE. Now, I could go on and on about all the design failures with this vehicle... but I won't. Instead, I ask you this: Why would anybody want a LARGE 2 door car with an econobox interior that was heavy, fairly expensive, sucked fuel, but was not fast, nor did it handle well.

Can anybody tell me one reason this car exists? Because I really do not see a ****ing point, at all.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 27, 2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
A European luxury SUV is really for someone who wants a car with decent ground clearance and not fu•king ugly like a GMC.
Crossovers have ground clearance.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
This:

I.... .. HHHAAATTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEE this car. HATE. HATE HATE HATE HATE. Now, I could go on and on about all the design failures with this vehicle... but I won't. Instead, I ask you this: Why would anybody want a LARGE 2 door car with an econobox interior that was heavy, fairly expensive, sucked fuel, but was not fast, nor did it handle well.
Who cares about any of that. To care about that you'd have to get past the fact that its ugly as shit.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 27, 2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I've always found it weird that there are so many different cars out there. I mean, if I wanted a car, how many choices would I have? (not counting customs and exotics and what not) Hundreds and hundreds.

How many cars can the world possibly need? Even if I wanted to narrow it down to something like an SUV... I would still have like 75+ choices. How many SUV models does the world actually need? Every single car manufacturer seems to make 2 or 3 different models. Why does every car company feel the need to compete in every space or fill every possible need?

I'm not really complaining. I've just always thought it was odd.
What I think funny is that a really good choice doesn't exist. My Audi is fantastic... but the mileage is bleh, and it is rather large. Newer, smaller ones are great, but horribly unreliable. But then there's the WRX... fantastic size (for a wagon), awesome everything, but complete garbage interior and bleh milage. Everything is a trade off.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 27, 2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Who cares about any of that. To care about that you'd have to get past the fact that its ugly as shit.
Yes, I agree100000000% (the design actually makes me MAD.... so I try to ignore them when I see them), but some people actually like the way they look. Getting past that though, it does EVERYTHING POORLY. So wtf?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I've always found it weird that there are so many different cars out there. I mean, if I wanted a car, how many choices would I have? (not counting customs and exotics and what not) Hundreds and hundreds.

How many cars can the world possibly need? Even if I wanted to narrow it down to something like an SUV... I would still have like 75+ choices. How many SUV models does the world actually need? Every single car manufacturer seems to make 2 or 3 different models. Why does every car company feel the need to compete in every space or fill every possible need?

I'm not really complaining. I've just always thought it was odd.
What's awful is despite all that, I find almost no [non-luxury] cars aesthetically pleasing. Also, there's a dearth of attractive coupes.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 01:14 PM

What's awful is despite all that, I find almost no [non-luxury] cars aesthetically pleasing. Also, there's a dearth of attractive coupes.
I used to judge my favourite car by which one I liked the most.
Now I judge my favourite car by which one I dislike the least.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2010, 01:15 PM

Yeah, I identify with that.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 01:16 PM

Wait. What?

Wiki check (don't know how accurate):
Piëch (and Wolfgang Porsche) owns Porsche SE.
Porsche SE also owns VW AG, which owns VW Group, which owns the Audi, VW, Bentley, Bugatti, Skoda, Lambo and Seat marques.
And now Porsche AG.

Tax move? It's still owned by the same two families. OK, OK. The same one family.
Heh. It was big news here when Porsche *tried* to buy VW. They upped their capital, had more than enough funds, and then the credit crunch happened.

VW bought Porsche instead.

Wiedeking had to go, and Piëch is no longer boss (Winterkorn is).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 01:25 PM

Also, Piëch is gone and VW now owns Porsche, so there may be some re-positioning going on in recent years.

Sure, if you wanna believe that.

Piech is the Godfather of the Germanu automotive industry.
He will never be gone; even after his death, he'll have influence.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 02:26 PM

Well, you know, a family-run company is and remains that until the family leaves.

Piëch owns 13 or so % of Porsche, so one would be a fool to argue that he isn't pulling strings. But given the decades-old feuds within the family and the strong opposition he always faced, and the massive conflict and ensuing shakedown following the Porsche AG takeover, I wouldn't count on his being undisputed king of the hill.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Lamborghini - I used to live beside a Lamborghini dealership. The only time I'd ever see them driven is when the owners drove them to the dealer to get their regular 6-month maintenance. It's not as if they drove them at any other time.
Yes, I always drive my car past the dealership every time I take it out, even if the dealership is 30 miles north and I'm going south, east or west.
Selective quoting.

Here's the rest for those who haven't read my original post:

Originally Posted by Eug
Well, maybe a bit in the summer, but risky in the city, and utterly useless in the winter (ice and snow) and spring (major potholes).

I hate Hummers too, and would get annoyed at the Hummer that would take up two parking spaces in our condo's visitor parking, but at least the thing could carry a lot of stuff and was drivable all year round.
I guess the only thing I should have added is "in Toronto". The car is pretty pointless here, but could prove slightly more viable in different climates (if they have good roads).

But it's a sad state of affairs when a car is actually more pointless than a Hummer.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2010, 02:57 PM

I'm not sure you grasp why you'd own a Lambo. It sure as hell isn't because its functional.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I.... .. HHHAAATTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEE this car. HATE. HATE HATE HATE HATE.
Essssssssssssssssss essssssssssssssssssssssssss

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 03:13 PM

I'm not sure you grasp why you'd own a Lambo. It sure as hell isn't because its functional.
What's there to grasp? I said I think the car is pointless (at least in Toronto).

You can buy a car for bragging rights or to go superfast on straight track or whatever, but IMO it's still a pointless car, and this is a thread about pointless cars. Your opinion may differ.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2010, 03:17 PM

What's there to grasp? I said I think the car is pointless (at least in Toronto).
What's to grasp is why you chose a Lamborghini and didn't include all the other supercars of similar ilk.

You can buy a car for bragging rights or to go superfast on straight track or whatever, but IMO it's still a pointless car, and this is a thread about pointless cars.
Right, I'm trying to understand what makes this car so special. The fact that you live near the dealership?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 03:20 PM

What's to grasp is why you chose a Lamborghini and didn't include all the other supercars of similar ilk.

Right, I'm trying to understand what makes this car so special. The fact that you live near the dealership?
I think supercars in general are pointless. Happy now?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2010, 03:22 PM

I've never been happy.

(So my guess is wrong?)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 03:27 PM

Well, not so wrong. There's a Lambo dealer in the city (and I happened to live beside it), and as far as "supercars" go, it's one of the more recognizable ones.

OTOH, there is no McLaren dealer in Toronto (but I hear there will be one soon). And yes I think McLaren road cars are pointless in general too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 04:16 PM

I wouldn't count on his being undisputed king of the hill.
Agreed. Undisputed, he *never* was.

-t

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 04:56 PM

I guess the only thing I should have added is "in Toronto". The car is pretty pointless here, but could prove slightly more viable in different climates (if they have good roads).
Originally Posted by Eug
Well, maybe a bit in the summer, but risky in the city, and utterly useless in the winter (ice and snow)
YouTube - Lamborghini Gallardo on Snow

Germans > Canuckistanis.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 05:01 PM

Selective quoting.
Originally Posted by Eug
What you basically said there is that the only time Lambo drivers drive their vehicles is to the dealer and back. How would you know this, unless you (1) worked at the dealer and clocked their mileage or (2) stalked each and every Lambo owner?

How do you know that they didn't drive them at any other time?

Hence:

Originally Posted by Doofy

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
My dad drives a Phaeton right now. At first I was opposing that decision a bit but it sure is a great car. He has always driven cars in that segment (2x 7-series and too many to count S-classes. No Audis though, he hates them) and the Phaeton is by far the best one. And thanks to the brand image the cheapest one as well!
If he hates Audis, why did he buy one?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 09:24 PM

Ooh. Them's fighting words.

No, the phaeton has nothing to do with Audi.

Seriously - a whole different class. That's what makes it so odd.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2010, 10:25 PM

Ooh. Them's fighting words.

No, the phaeton has nothing to do with Audi.

Seriously - a whole different class. That's what makes it so odd.
Besides being an Audi A8 with a skin built by Volkswagen? They're both in the executive cruiser class. Pricing is the only major differentiation, but with similar options, (from what I can tell of the 2009 A8 vs 2010 Phaeton), they're within about £1,000 of each other. The Volkswagen simply doesn't have the myriad of powertrain options and wheelbase options that the A8 does.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2010, 02:43 AM

Reliant Robin.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2010, 04:24 AM

Hehe. And yes that is the Stig in the blue one. Clarkson is in the red one.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2010, 04:25 AM

Biggest pointless car?

The Hummer. Totally pointless in the city.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules