Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 12" (Mid-2005) with External Monitor

iBook G4 12" (Mid-2005) with External Monitor
Jehan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2007, 04:44 PM

Hi,

I want to connect my iBook G4 to an external monitor so I can achieve higher resolutions but when I do, I can still only get up to 1024x768. Is there a piece of software which will enable me to achieve these higher resolutions? I've heard about some software which makes your iBook and External Monitor into one big picture (spanning?) but all I want is a mirrored image at a much higher resolution. Is it possible to do this?

Thanks,

Jehan

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007, 05:35 PM

No - by definition, if you're mirroring, you're displaying the same exact resolution on both screens.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Jehan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 01:28 PM

Ok. Are you sure there aren't any ways of using a higher resolution when connecting an iBook to an external monitor?

Jehan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 01:30 PM

And also, are there any other people who have iBooks and connect them to external monitors?

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2007, 02:23 PM

I connected my ibook to a LCD monitor but the monitor resolution was 1024x768
I've heard about a program called screen spanning doctor (i think this is the correct name) that allows ibooks to use higher resolution and screen spaning and mirroing, but i have never used.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 03:55 PM

My sister's G3 800 iBook is currently connected to a 17-inch widescreen display. Her iBook was is suffering from the video problem, but she just doesn't feel like to get it to repair. I installed the Screen Spanning Doctor and it worked flawlessly.

BTW, it's the '12" 800 Mhz CD Radeon 7500 Mobility 32 MB April 03 - October 03'

I have a 1.33Ghz iBook G4 (with Radeon 9550 32MB), but haven't tried hooking up an external display.

robrcb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 02:13 PM

I used Screen Spanning Doctor to "hack" the video card in my 12" iBook 1.2GHz. This is permanent; it will still be "hacked" should you ever need to reinstall the OS or put in a new hard drive. Like Mister Elf said, mirroring by definition is at the same 1024x768 resolution. You can still mirror with this hack, buy you can also "span." I span my desktop with an additional 19" LCD set to the side of my iBook running at 1280x1024. It works great! Your dock will always be on your 12" screen, unless you mirror at 1024x768.

Does anyone else who does this know how high of a resolution the video card will support? I think it'd be cool to get a 23 or 24" LCD hooked up.

Extended Desktop

Forum Links
Forum Rules