Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Update on cloning XP

Update on cloning XP
ibook_steve
Jun 16, 2008, 03:15 PM

I just saw Macrium Reflect as a free download today only:

Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Macrium Reflect - Macrium Reflect - Disk Imaging and File Backup Software.

Can this make a bootable clone of Boot Camp XP? It doesn't seem like it. I've found older threads about cloning XP, but I'd be curious about an update and what people are using these days. With my recent migration to a new 320 GB drive (first 320 GB started to die (failed SMART) so I had to do the whole thing again!!), cloning XP the way I clone OS X with SuperDuper would be extremely useful.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 16, 2008, 04:47 PM

Not only does this look like it'll work, it should be very easy to use. I can't tell what method it may use for cloning/imaging, but if the download is either a bootable CD image or the program makes one that would be my best guess. The problem with cloning XP (and all other Windows OSs) is that it's generally impossible to do while the OS is running because of all the dependent files Windows keeps open just for the OS. Thus the need for a tool that runs without the OS. (There is at least one tool that will make a "snapshot" of these files, but I don't know whether to trust such images to be 100% correct.)

Oh, and thanks for the link. This will be useful even if I don't use it to image my XP installation.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2008, 01:33 AM

I will like to hear more from those who have tried it. Bill has made XP booting process so s@#$y that if you sneeze you will have the "missing NTLDR" error message. IMHO anything less than complete re-install after anything to do with mbr( including cloning ) will be considered a miracle itself. Vista however is more forgiving.
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

Forum Links
Forum Rules