Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How much sleep do you really need?

How much sleep do you really need?
HamSandwich
Aug 27, 2012, 10:50 PM

Hey,

I haven't really thought about this for ages, but I wonder sometimes. I have to get up at around 6:30 AM these days, while in the past I could sleep a bit longer. Doesn't that mean I should be in bed at around 11 PM, each day? Just feels somewhat strange, but I think I feel somewhat tired each time I really go over that. How do you handle that? After all, I'm not going to be the only person who has to get up at 6:30, I suppose...

What's good, what's healthy? What should you totally avoid?

Any thoughts? Thanks! Pete

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Aug 28, 2012, 08:53 AM

I get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night, sometimes less. Then on the weekends I sleep 12 hours or so each night.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2012, 09:04 AM

Everyone is a little different.

I get about 7 hours of sleep a night.

My sleep patterns used to be all over the place when I was young, but it gets harder to live that way when as you get older.

I get insomnia a lot, and I've found that staying on a set schedule really helps. I make myself go to bed at 11:30 and it usually takes me an hour to fall asleep.

... and when you have a 2/3 year old, you're getting up at 7 no matter what. So you have to adjust to that.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2012, 09:04 AM

Yeah that sounds like me. 4.5-5 hours in the week then ages on the weekend. I'm pretty sure its not healthy though. Lack of sleep can cause all sorts of other issues. My mealtimes are all over the place. I often eat dinner after midnight.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Aug 28, 2012, 12:54 PM

midnight to 7, usually, and it's not enough.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2012, 02:20 PM

Fall asleep around 12:30-1AM, up at 7:20-7:30AM, work 9 hours, gym for an hour and a half...I'm tired just thinking about it. I sleep probably 8-9 hours on Saturday, and Sundays are almost complete hibernation (hangover recovery typically :S ). It isn't the most comfortable schedule in the world but I seem to be managing.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2012, 06:43 PM

Basically the more the better. Once I've had enough sleep, I wake up, and if I haven't had enough, then I sleep more. I haven't used an alarm clock in over 10 years, barring early flights (which I also try to avoid, but can't always).

How much is it? In my 20s it was about 8.5 hours, and now (30s) it's about 7 hours.

OreoCookie
Aug 28, 2012, 07:05 PM

Until I was ~24, I could live on as little as 3-4 hours per night. After spending a very intense year abroad, my sleeping rhythm has changed and from then on, I have needed 7 hours to feel good in the morning. Doesn't mean I always get there. Since it's common for me to have creative rushes in the early/late evening (18-22), I often go to bed quite late, but that wreaks havoc with my sleeping rhythm the next few nights (bouts of insomnia, etc.). I feel best if I try and force myself to go to bed at midnight and wake up at ~7:30. I try not to change my sleeping habits too much over the weekend, e. g. it's not good for me to sleep much longer than 9.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2012, 09:40 PM

I've lived on 4-5 hours all of my adult life, but I do take a short one hour siesta during the day.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2012, 06:46 AM

More and more I have found myself taking an hour, hour and a half siesta right after work, before I go to the gym. I am trying to figure out if this is helping me or not. On one hand, it can't be bad that I'm sneaking in that extra hour of sleep. On the other hand, when I wake up it is difficult to fully wake myself up and muster up the motivation to get to the gym and hammer out a full, solid workout. The problem is I feel so damn tired when I'm at work if there is any down time at all (if I'm staying busy, no problemo) and as soon as I get home, if I sit or lay down for a few minutes to decompress rather than changing and going right to the gym, I just crash. :/
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2012, 07:08 AM

I'm just going to use this thread to announce one of my pet peeves.

People who talk about how little sleep they get as a way to sound cool. Not sleeping is not cool.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Forum Links
Forum Rules