Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Clean the mouse

Clean the mouse
reader50
Administrator
Feb 18, 2019, 08:39 PM

The scroll wheel was getting hesitant again. Turn your MX518 over, remove the 3 screws, and pull the top off. The wheel assembly pulls up and off. You do have to remove two wire springs to pull the assembly apart completely. Other Logitech mice are likely similar inside.

Five minutes with tweezers, then it all goes back together.

Got a good haul this time. Scroll wheel is responsive again.

mindwaves
Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 PM

Love that mouse and other variations of it. Best mouse I've ever used.

P
Feb 19, 2019, 05:00 AM

Funny, I just read a review of the relaunch of this mouse. Logitech has updated the sensor to their latest, and then essentially haven't touched the thing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2019, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
and then essentially haven't touched the thing.
Which is why it’s full of lint. Heyyyyyyy-o!

andi*pandi
Feb 19, 2019, 11:58 AM

brings back memories of cleaning roller ball mice.

My macally scroll button stopped working, but I don't see any screws to take it apart....

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Feb 19, 2019, 01:28 PM

I hadn't heard Logitech had re-released it. It's not listed on their regular site.

@andi, the screws are hidden under the bottom stickers. On mine, there is a + above each hidden screw. You might also feel the stickers, for depressions where screws can be. I poked through those with the phillips screwdriver for access.

P
Feb 19, 2019, 05:41 PM

Logitech splits their gaming mice from their regular mice for some reason. MX518 is here:

https://www.logitechg.com/zh-hk/prod...ing-mouse.html
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Feb 19, 2019, 07:34 PM

That's their Hong Kong site. However, they are bringing it to the rest of the world as of today.

No word on actual availability dates or price. eBay gray market sellers are asking $60 and up. The original MX-518 ran $30 most of the time, with frequent sales to $25, and rare sales to $20 each.

P
Feb 20, 2019, 04:36 AM

I didn't notice that it was the Hong Kong site. I get the weirdest country sites on this laptop sometimes.

The mouse is out in Sweden now, but maybe they did a staggered launch because of the US holiday. And yes, it costs about $60. Their gaming mice are in that range. There is an entire 32-bit ARM computer in them now. It's silly, but I'm fine with it since my mice last for so long.

Forum Links
Forum Rules