Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What kinds of healthy foods do you eat? Plus Laminar's Whole30 Blog

What kinds of healthy foods do you eat? Plus Laminar's Whole30 Blog (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Not sure of their reasons, but I have a couple ideas - seeing the full change over 30 days is more dramatic than seeing a pound drop off every few days. It makes for a bigger impact at the end. Or conversely, if the person isn't losing weight at all, it prevents them from getting discouraged and quitting. There are supposed to be other health benefits to the plan other than just weight loss, so they want to avoid people quitting prematurely due to no weight loss.

I told the wife I cheated and weighed myself. She did too and is down 7 pounds.
I figured that may be the case, but find scales can also discourage me from eating a half-dozen donuts.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 4, 2018, 12:10 PM

Friday night was deconstructed burgers again, but this time with sauteed mushrooms and roasted cauliflower.

Saturday dinner was steak, roasted potatoes, butter garlic squash noodles, and strawberries.

Sunday dinner was slow cooker chicken tikka masala with cauliflower rice, avocado, and grapes.

Sorry for the portrait mode abuse.

andi*pandi
Jun 4, 2018, 12:27 PM

this all looks good. What do you snack on when you're on the go?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 4, 2018, 02:56 PM

Good question - I was out racing yesterday and usually take a sandwich and Pop Tarts with me. Instead, it was walnuts, cashews, dates, dried cherries, and coconut flakes. Plus a couple of Clementines. That was enough for lunch.

andi*pandi
Jun 4, 2018, 03:34 PM

You make this sound almost doable.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2018, 05:30 PM

I think this is easier than going veggie/vegan. We usually do one or two veggie meals a week, but during the Whole30 meat has been the staple of our meals. It'd be hard to give up.

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 4, 2018, 09:19 PM

edit: I would pictures of my food, but DropBox doesn't have public folder support anymore. Oh well.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2018, 09:08 AM

Last night was pork chops, yellow squash noodles, carrots, and grapes.

I also made a compatible ranch dressing last night:

I need to stop using the recipes from the actual Whole30 book, they're not very good. This one called for 1 T of "herbs," and suggested dill, and it gets put in before everything is blended together. So now the dressing is greenish and tastes like liquid dill.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2018, 12:40 PM

Yesterday was hectic and I didn't grab a pic of dinner - sausages (Trader Joe's has some that are legal), roasted cauliflower, carrots, and strawberries.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2018, 10:05 AM

I'm really slacking on the pictures here. I was trying to change an upper radiator hose on my BIL's car when it started hailing. Didn't take pics of the Asian Broccoli Beef, but you've seen that before:

Plus avocado and blueberries. Down 14lbs so far, for the first time in at least 10 years I'm under 200lbs. Seven days to go.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2018, 10:00 AM

Okay, finally a new picture. Shrimp, asparagus, and mushroom skillet. Except instead of shrimp we used a bag of assorted seafood from Trader Joe's, it turned out really good. Calamari, shrimp, and scallops. Sauteed in ghee and garlic. Avocado and clementines.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2018, 11:05 AM

Went out for a team lunch on Friday - seared tuna and smoked salmon as apps, then wild-caught salmon fillet as a main course.

Dinner Friday night was burgers again, with roasted potatoes, tomatoes, pickles, avocado, and carrots.

Dinner Saturday night was Chipotle - salad bowl with carnitas, verde salsa, pico, and guac. The hardest part was not being able to finish the rest of the 5yo's quesadilla.

Dinner Sunday night was slow cooker pulled pork with carrot noodles and strawberries. This is one of the last meals this oven/stove is going to make (note the cracked cooktop). New oven arrives tomorrow.

(The 5yo is really into mayo right now for some reason, so that was for him).

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2018, 01:03 PM

I’m sorry about the cooktop. No one should have to suffer through electric.

andi*pandi
Jun 11, 2018, 01:37 PM

looks relatively new for such damage.

Subego, you want to feel really sorry for someone, I'll post a picture of my 1960s era stovetop.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I’m sorry about the cooktop. No one should have to suffer through electric.
I'd love to go gas, but it wasn't in the cards. I did pick out a unit with a 12" burner up top so that my entire skillet gets heated up, not just an 8" circle in the center.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
AFAICT the appliances are original to the house, making them ~16 years old. We also ordered a dishwasher, the one we have is total garbage. I've already replaced the entire pump assembly once (due to a leak), and disassembled the entire thing for a full cleanout, but it still leaves dishes dirty and something is definitely growing in there.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2018, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

Subego, you want to feel really sorry for someone, I'll post a picture of my 1960s era stovetop.
Is it gas? 60s gas is just as controllable.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2018, 09:23 AM

Steak and zucchini noodles again, but this time I just bought premade zucchini noodles. Super tasty.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2018, 09:33 AM

Bye dishwasher and range!

New 12" burner means the whole skillet actually gets hot. So nice, I can't wait to have bacon that's cooked evenly instead of the middle third burnt and the outside is chewy.

Dinner was a sweet potato hash with venison/beef, green peppers, cantaloupe, and avocado.

Today is the last day. I'll be baking a batch of cookies tonight so I can go to town first thing tomorrow. Well, after I do a final weigh-in at least.

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 13, 2018, 08:09 PM

Congrats on completing the whole 30 days! I will never ever have an electric range. My parents had one before and it wasn't good. Gas ranges are not the be all and end all stove necessarily. After our last gas stove died, my dad and brother went and bought another one. But due to the BTUs being quite low and the high height of the actual grates used to support the pot, the actual heat provided was insufficient. Ended up buying a high BTU burner for the outside for actual cooking. When you turn on the stove, it sounds like a jet engine turning on.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Jun 14, 2018 at 08:04 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2018, 09:34 AM

The Last Supper.

Breakfast bowls - roasted sweet potato, mushrooms, sausage with egg and avocado.

I immediately baked up a batch of cookies.

In total, I lost 17.0 pounds and one full inch off my waist and hips each. I sent my wife face pics from April and this week and she couldn't believe the difference - apparently I carry my weight in my gut and cheeks.

Not sure if I'd do it again, but we will definitely be implementing some of these recipes and principles into our regular meal planning - picking sauces and dressings free of sugar, vegetable oils, and soy. Substituting in zucchini/squash noodles instead of pasta. Not keeping a loaf of bread around as a staple for grilled cheese or PB&Js. Quite a few takeaways, and we'll see how they change our habits long term. I think my wife would like to do this once a year as a kind of cleanse and/or brush-up on healthy eating. No ragrets.
( Last edited by Laminar; Jun 14, 2018 at 10:00 AM. )

andi*pandi
Jun 14, 2018, 11:55 AM

Congrats, and thanks for sharing the journey. I might try it if I can get the family on board. Pizza I think will be the hardest.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2018, 12:40 PM

Oof, definitely gonna have to do pizza this weekend. Wife flies out today, it's me and the kids until Sunday. Party time.

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 14, 2018, 08:05 PM

Congrats on losing 17 pounds, but is that only 1" off the waist? Would seem to be more to me, maybe 3".

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2018, 09:40 AM

He’s 8 feet tall.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Congrats on losing 17 pounds, but is that only 1" off the waist? Would seem to be more to me, maybe 3".
10 pounds was in my cheeks.

I'm back with a vengeance.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2018, 11:08 AM

Your kid is like “donuts... again?!?”

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2019, 03:37 PM

ROUND TWO...FIGHT!

The holidays were unkind. We're doing another 30 days. I did a month in Louisiana living out of a hotel and scrounging food where I could, usually Subway or Chick-Fil-A. Then add Thanksgiving, kid birthday, Christmas, New Year's, second kid birthday, and I was back up to my pre-Whole30 weight.

Night 1: Salmon, carrots, and green beans with avocado salsa, and of course I forgot to snap a pic until I was into it.

mindwaves  (op)
Jan 14, 2019, 10:15 PM

I've never had tuna with avocado before....

Any recommendations for picture hosting companies to use here? DropBox used to offer a feature.

edit: It appears to be salmon (based on the description), but looks like tuna, so I instinctly wrote tuna.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Jan 14, 2019 at 11:33 PM. )

OreoCookie
Jan 14, 2019, 10:55 PM

Thuna avocado tartar is a great dish in my opinion. Too bad it is hard to find good avocados in Japan. Most of the time they are very hard and taste a bit soapy.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2019, 10:16 AM

I've never had tuna with avocado before....

Any recommendations for picture hosting companies to use here? DropBox used to offer a feature.
After Dropbox screwed me and Photobucket screwed everyone on the internet, I just started using my own hosting. My pictures will be up for as long as I pay my hosting company, full stop.

edit: It appears to be salmon (based on the description), but looks like tuna, so I instinctly wrote tuna.
Wild salmon gains the signature pink color from eating krill. Farm-raised salmon don't eat krill, so the farmers add chemicals to turn them pink. Some farm-raised salmon don't get the chemicals, so they're white-ish.
( Last edited by Laminar; Jan 15, 2019 at 11:12 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2019, 02:37 PM

I'm bad at this, I forgot to snap the steak and zoodles, you can scroll up and see what that looks like.

Four ingredient tuna cakes: Tuna, eggs, almond flour, garlic. Served with dijon mustard, pickles, avocado, and a fried egg.

Work provided lunch from Jimmy John's, I ordered a veggie Unwich, no cheese no mayo. Sad.

andi*pandi
Jan 16, 2019, 04:33 PM

that's... lettuce tomato and cucumber in a paper wrap. That's... more than sad.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2019, 05:25 PM

Don't worry, there was a tiny bit of avocado in there, too! They forgot the sprouts. It was very very sad. The pickle on the side was good, though.

andi*pandi
Jan 16, 2019, 10:31 PM

was that $10 worth of sad? IIRC that's what their sandwiches go for.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2019, 04:50 PM

They're like $7. They changed up their menu/pricing in the last year so I don't really know how it works anymore.

Last night was shrimp and zoodles. My wife did one of those MLM meal-prep parties and made 10 meals of 6 servings each for the freezer. That's where we got the salmon meal and this shimp meal as well. So far so good - pretty tasty stuff.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2019, 10:07 AM

Pork chops, roasted potatoes, avocado.

We're having guests over for dinner tomorrow night and I'm working on a menu that would be tasty - not to hard if you like what you see above. The hardest parts are A) no booze and B) no real dessert. I'm probably going to work up something date and pecan-based.

mindwaves  (op)
Jan 20, 2019, 11:13 PM

Pork chops, roasted potatoes, avocado.

We're having guests over for dinner tomorrow night and I'm working on a menu that would be tasty - not to hard if you like what you see above. The hardest parts are A) no booze and B) no real dessert. I'm probably going to work up something date and pecan-based.
Potatoes are allowed? It is a starch.

For dessert, can consider something middle eastern, such as dates in honey or fresh cut melons.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2019, 12:32 PM

Potatoes are allowed? It is a starch.
Yep, it's a bit contentious, but they're allowed. It's a fad diet with madeup rules that don't have any real scientific backing, so...

For dessert, can consider something middle eastern, such as dates in honey or fresh cut melons.
We did a date-based dessert with pecans and coconut.

A couple missed meals:

More pork chops, avocado, eggs, potatoes.

I went a bit nuts on Amazon last week and ordered a few kitchen tools - an immersion blender, a combo dicer/mandolin/spiralizer, and a wok to replace my old rusty Ikea wok.

The spiralizer made awesome zucchini noodles so I don't have to buy those pre-made anymore, and the immersion blender made short work of making avocado-oil mayo. Chicken, potatoes, and zoodles last night with homemade avo mayo and homemade legal BBQ sauce.

mindwaves  (op)
Jan 21, 2019, 07:23 PM

Would be curious to see what kind of wok you bought. I have a wok that I recently bought. It is made of carbon steel and needs to be carefully attended for because it will rust and stick. It is what the restaurants use (and round-bottomed) but it is heavy (not what restaurants use), so I rarely use it. I bought it online, so I couldn't try it out in person to feel the weight.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Jan 21, 2019 at 09:02 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2019, 12:02 PM

I grabbed this one, a stainless steel unit. I haven't had any SS cookware before so this should be interesting.

Going hard with the spiralizer. Tuna cakes, avocado, zoodles, mayo:

Also spiralized a potato to see if it would turn out to be curly fries, ended up being more like shoestring potatoes. Cooked up in clarified butter and a little salt, very tasty.

andi*pandi
Jan 22, 2019, 12:54 PM

What type of spiralizer? I almost bought one but got decisionitis and couldn't decide what features would be worth it. A combo would be good to avoid wasting space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2019, 02:49 PM

This one.

I've used the spiralizer and mandolin so far, haven't tried the dicing function. Super easy to put together to use, I can't yet speak to its durability but the reviews seem favorable.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2019, 02:26 PM

Turkey burgers over a bed of veggies. Plus avo and fruit.

Beef with tomato and guac, plus potatoes and caramelized onions.

mindwaves  (op)
Jan 25, 2019, 08:13 PM

Turkey burgers over a bed of veggies. Plus avo and fruit.

Beef with tomato and guac, plus potatoes and caramelized onions.

How do you manage portion sizes? Is it just fit the size of about one plate idea?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2019, 10:55 AM

How do you manage portion sizes? Is it just fit the size of about one plate idea?
I don't. I stuff my face with as much food as I can possibly eat and then I lose weight. Down 10lbs so far. That's the difference that sugar/dairy makes in my life - chocolate, doughnuts, cookies, cheese on everything. I cut those out and the pounds fall off.

Friday night wife was out of town and all we had in the house were eggs and a single zucchini, so we went to Chipotle. Salad with carnitas, pico, and guac is legal.

Last night was deconstructed burgers, caramelized onions, veggies, etc.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2019, 03:37 PM

Oh, and you know what else is legal? Chocolate. Well, unsweetened 100% cacao chocolate, which I managed to find. Tastes terrible. Melted it and dipped some strawberries in it, still pretty terrible. Dropped some blueberries in it, not bad.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2019, 06:30 PM

One of the things I never understood about myself is I don’t really like chocolate. Everyone, myself included, finds this weird.

I mean, I don’t hate it, but I don’t really like it either. I certainly don’t need much.

andi*pandi
Jan 28, 2019, 06:47 PM

Code:
HELLO FELLOW HUMANS THIS UNIT DOES NOT NEED CHOCOLATE< THANK YOU

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2019, 06:52 PM

Exactly!

One of my favorite alternate responses is “are you a communist?”

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2019, 10:59 AM

Is it straight chocolate bars only? Or does it extend to candy bars?

Got home after everyone had eaten, put this together quick:

Eggs, tomato, avocado, roasted cauliflower.

Forum Links
Forum Rules