Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" Powerbook w/ Vonage 'Soft Phone', over wireless (802.11g) connection..?

17" Powerbook w/ Vonage 'Soft Phone', over wireless (802.11g) connection..?
daiSho
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2005, 02:19 AM

hi all... quick query for the collective if thats ok... i'm a long time Vonage user, have been using their standard service as my home line since they opened up shop and have been very happy w/ it. i've also dragged their wonderful Cisco-branded VoIP router around the world w/ me and had free international calling goodness anywhere i could find a decent broadband connection to link it up to... probably saved close to a thousand dollars in international calls while working in asia in the last couple of years. but, i am wondering about this whole "Soft Phone" offering...

i am going to be making a short trip to Tokyo next week (just 5 days) and it turns out the hotel i will be staying at only offers wireless internet access (WEP protected) and no wired ethernet to jack into in the rooms... it seems my wired Vonage router isn't going to cut it for this short trip! so...

how about this Soft Phone offering? i see that they claim it is Mac compatible, i guess i could sign up for a months access on a Soft Phone line and see how it performs, but am curious whether anyone could offer opinion as to how usable and effective it will be going through my 17" Powerbook (1.5GHz, 2GB mem, 7200rpm Hitachi) and relying on a (supposedly) strong wireless connection at this particular hotel in Shinjuku-ku (Tokyo) which i have verified is a 802.11g connection. should this Soft Phone system work over a strong/fast wireless connection on my Powerbook, or am i going to be disappointed w/ the performance compared to my experience w/ the wired service..?

lastly, i already have a Sony Bluetooth headset, i'm assuming from what reading i've done that this would be the most ergonomic method for interfacing w/ the Soft Phone and a Powerbook? any input as to what i could expect w/ this setup would be greatly appreciated, i haven't purchased the "Soft Phone" line yet so it would be great to hear any opinion or experience about using VoIP on wireless connections before i shell out the cash for it... thx in advance all..!

Forum Links
Forum Rules