Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Question for gun owners

Question for gun owners
Thread Tools
macintologist
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Smallish town in Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 05:28 PM
 
Let's say you are in a parking lot at night, and as you are getting into your car a crazy person starts running towards you yelling and screaming. You feel you might be in danger. You pull out your semi-automatic pistol (let's say a Beretta 92). You are not sure whether the person is armed.

What in your opinion, from a gun safety and gun advocacy point of view, is the most appropriate way to show off your gun and your ability to defend yourself without being too aggressive? For example, would you cock your gun? Turn off the safety? Would you point it at the person, or would you just brandish it?

Thanks!
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 05:50 PM
 
I'd draw my gun and shoot him in the leg, ask questions later.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 05:53 PM
 
The correct answer is that you do not pull out your weapon at all, but simply get in your car and lock the door.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 06:02 PM
 
Yeah, I'd just try and haul out of there.

If, for some odd reason, that was impossible -- then I'd shoot him/her in the knee and call the cops.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint
     
design219
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 06:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
I'd draw my gun and shoot him in the leg, ask questions later.
NRA poster boy?

I think not.
__________________________________________________

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 06:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by design219 View Post
NRA poster boy?

I think not.
I don't think the NRA reaches quite over here where I am. If they were, they'd be called the ARN anyways.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 06:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
If, for some odd reason, that was impossible -- then I'd shoot him/her in the knee and call the cops.
Given that trained police marksmen, rusing rifles with scopes, go for the body since a leg/arm shot is far too difficult, how exactly would you achieve this, with a hand gun?
     
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Madison, WI
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 06:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Let's say you are in a parking lot at night, and as you are getting into your car a crazy person starts running towards you yelling and screaming. You feel you might be in danger. You pull out your semi-automatic pistol (let's say a Beretta 92). You are not sure whether the person is armed.

What in your opinion, from a gun safety and gun advocacy point of view, is the most appropriate way to show off your gun and your ability to defend yourself without being too aggressive? For example, would you cock your gun? Turn off the safety? Would you point it at the person, or would you just brandish it?

Thanks!
Why is your first response to pull out your gun? Why wouldn't you consider first locking yourself in your car or locking yourself in the car and driving away? Once you are safely in your car and away from the area you could call the police. If you could just get yourself locked in your car but not drive away before the crazy person got to the car you could still call the police from within the locked car.

In this content, there seems to be no reason to "show off your gun and your ability to defend yourself". Now, if you were just leaving somewhere and had to walk across the parking lot to get to your car, instead of "getting into your car", and "a crazy person starts running towards you yelling and screaming" then yes, I would say you have a reason to "show off your gun and your ability to defend yourself".

Pulling out your gun and waving it around in the context you outlined above seems more about macho posturing than smartly acting to preserve one's life. If you are being threatened and have time to escape the threat, then escape the threat. You have just done the best thing to preserve your life. You should use the gun when you have no chance to escape the threat and a great likelihood of being injured or killed if you don't use your gun.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Feb 18, 2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: fixed a typo.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 06:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Let's say you are in a parking lot at night, and as you are getting into your car a crazy person starts running towards you yelling and screaming. You feel you might be in danger. You pull out your semi-automatic pistol (let's say a Beretta 92). You are not sure whether the person is armed.

What in your opinion, from a gun safety and gun advocacy point of view, is the most appropriate way to show off your gun and your ability to defend yourself without being too aggressive? For example, would you cock your gun? Turn off the safety? Would you point it at the person, or would you just brandish it?

Thanks!
Never draw unless you're in a life-threatening situation. A crazy person yelling and screaming at you is a typical Monday at a mall, not grounds for ventilating their liver. If they try to assault you (and you can't get away), break their jaw or knee, maybe tear off an ear, they'll stop.

If they have a weapon, that's another matter.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 07:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Given that trained police marksmen, rusing rifles with scopes, go for the body since a leg/arm shot is far too difficult, how exactly would you achieve this, with a hand gun?
Are you serious?

Any licensed gun owner ought to be able to hit on-target within yardage range. You're not even talking about the same scale of weapon fire, distance, etc.

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint
     
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 07:15 PM
 
I am not a lawyer (or a gun owner), but from a legal standpoint I would think that you would never want to be the guy who pulled a weapon first. Sure, this person is yelling and running at you, but your perception of danger could be wrong, and if you draw a weapon, now they have a clear reason to feel threatened. If someone ends up injured or worse, suddenly it becomes your fault. If they are running at you and yelling while brandishing a knife, maybe that's a different story.

Just get in the car.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 07:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Let's say you are in a parking lot at night, and as you are getting into your car a crazy person starts running towards you yelling and screaming. You feel you might be in danger. You pull out your semi-automatic pistol (let's say a Beretta 92). You are not sure whether the person is armed.

What in your opinion, from a gun safety and gun advocacy point of view, is the most appropriate way to show off your gun and your ability to defend yourself without being too aggressive? For example, would you cock your gun? Turn off the safety? Would you point it at the person, or would you just brandish it?

Thanks!
Racking the slide on my gun would waste a round. If the person is crazy, turning off the safety won't matter to them.

Brandish? No. Point directly at their chest and yell for them to stop. If you are in fear for your life, defend yourself.
( Last edited by Gankdawg; Feb 19, 2009 at 03:54 PM. )
     
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Any licensed gun owner ought to be able to hit on-target within yardage range. You're not even talking about the same scale of weapon fire, distance, etc.
You obviously overestimate your own marksmanship ability. Hitting a moving person in an extremity is very unlikely at any reasonable distance.
     
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mississippi
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 08:38 PM
 
This comes from the guy who just shot his A/C. But working in my job I have to carry a gun with me at all times. (in my vehicle, not on person). I have had a lot of people who come and run up to my car going crazy. You have to read the way the person is coming at you in that split second. Usually they mean no harm but it's always best to be defensive. I have told and usually tell the person to stop acting like an idiot and keep their hands up...If am not in uniform, I still do the same thing but by this time I have a duty weapon on and tell them the same thing and to stand at the front or rear of my car. Never draw your weapon unless you intend on firing it and stopping the threat! You can't stress that enough.

But always practice safety. Sometimes the person running towards you just got mugged, wrecked or something like that. They aren't a threat but you have to be firm with them and just notice them from a distance. But always be defensive, but I agree with a lot of you, you don't have a job like me where I am required to assist by law and I am not protected under the good samaritan law, the best thing to do if someone who is a threat is coming towards you is to get in your car and drive out of there and have 911 dialed on the phone. Don't ever, ever, draw your gun in a group of people coming to you, you don't know who else has a gun, possibly bigger.

Sorry for the long response.
     
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mississippi
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 08:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
You obviously overestimate your own marksmanship ability. Hitting a moving person in an extremity is very unlikely at any reasonable distance.
Agreed. Most police officers empty their clips in their glocks which is around 15-20 rounds and often the rounds wind up missing the subject and only hit one or two times. You have to know what is in front, behind and on the side of you and the subject before firing. If someone is running at me with a gun and their is a school bus full of kids behind him, I can't take that risk unless I know I have the shot, otherwise I'll change positions if I can. But when a good licensed marksman is shooting his gun, he is in a control environment, he doesn't have his adrenaline nor emotions running through him which makes things a lot tougher.
     
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 08:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
You obviously overestimate your own marksmanship ability. Hitting a moving person in an extremity is very unlikely at any reasonable distance.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about in relation to my capabilities.

Thanks.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint
     
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 09:02 PM
 
Safety FIRST. get in the car and leave. You should only use or display your weapon IF you intend to use it and understand the consequences.

I AM a NRA member.
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 09:04 PM
 
In your scenario I'd want to use my vehicle to create stand-off distance, a barrier between me and this person in order to assess what's going on. That assumes I have a handgun on me, which gives me the option to draw it quickly.

Someone running at you at night isn't going to see or hear a hammer cock back or a safety click off. They may not even see you pointing it at them depending on lighting conditions or a glare in their eyes.
     
grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford Universe City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 09:18 PM
 
NEVER show a gun to threaten or intimidate someone. The only time you draw a gun is if you, or some other innocent person that you have an ability to protect, are being threatened with grave bodily injury or death. You only draw your gun if you are forced to use it in ultimate defense. Shooting to injure or maim is not the correct action because that states that you weren't positively sure of the escalating situation – you mean to kill when you pull a trigger.

Laws may vary from state to state.
     
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Sep 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 10:03 PM
 
Get in the car and leave. In my state, brandishing to intimidate is against the law. Someone screaming at you and running towards you isn't a good enough excuse. Reaching under my jacket and asking him what his problem is probably fair enough, I'd think, if I really felt that threatened. But that's as far as I would go if threatened, if just getting in the car and leaving wasn't the easier option.
     
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Far above Cayuga's waters.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 10:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
Get in the car and leave. In my state, brandishing to intimidate is against the law. Someone screaming at you and running towards you isn't a good enough excuse. Reaching under my jacket and asking him what his problem is probably fair enough, I'd think, if I really felt that threatened. But that's as far as I would go if threatened, if just getting in the car and leaving wasn't the easier option.
you carry, florida?

edit: what's up man?
     
design219
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 10:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
Never draw your weapon unless you intend on firing it and stopping the threat!
i.e., killing someone.
__________________________________________________

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.
     
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mississippi
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 11:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by design219 View Post
i.e., killing someone.
Well you know I have to be politically correct. But yes, try to kill them.
     
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 11:15 PM
 
Dead men tell no lies.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2009, 11:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
Agreed. Most police officers empty their clips in their glocks which is around 15-20 rounds and often the rounds wind up missing the subject and only hit one or two times. You have to know what is in front, behind and on the side of you and the subject before firing. If someone is running at me with a gun and their is a school bus full of kids behind him, I can't take that risk unless I know I have the shot, otherwise I'll change positions if I can. But when a good licensed marksman is shooting his gun, he is in a control environment, he doesn't have his adrenaline nor emotions running through him which makes things a lot tougher.
Cops aren't really the best examples. I've been to the range with the officers in this area, and there's only one who has an even chance of beating me on any given day. But even so, they're all better than you described.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Sep 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 12:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
you carry, florida?

edit: what's up man?
I am indeed a gun owner, but don't have a license to conceal/carry (I don't think I'd have the nerve to). I keep it in my house. It was a bit of an impromptu purchase more than a year ago in rather strange circumstances. Despite my slight pang of guilt I felt after joining the ranks of gun owners, that pang has lessened a bit considering there was a kid shot with an AK a few days ago just a few blocks from me. That that option of last resort defense is there doesn't bother me so much anymore. Hopefully I never, ever need to use it!

edit: Not much going on in Florida! What's up with you?
     
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 12:54 AM
 
Fun, I was looking at guns online today. I don't think I'd get a CC but I've always enjoyed shooting at the range, and I'd make some secret hiding place for it at the crib. I've always been wary of the idea of having a gun accessible to a burglar/thief when you're not home.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21
ice
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 02:07 AM
 
Why do you ask? Is there a crazy person running at you right now and you're looking for opinions?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Smallish town in Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 03:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Why do you ask? Is there a crazy person running at you right now and you're looking for opinions?
It's for a mock trial. I just wanted the perspectives of people who actually know a thing or two about guns (unlike me)
     
badidea
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 05:56 AM
 
I'd get out of my car and ask the person where the problem was and if I could help.
But obviously I'm the only one living in a world where a running and screaming person usually means that someone is in need of help and not a threat!


Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
You obviously don't know what you're talking about in relation to my capabilities.

Thanks.
My fan just shut off and the processor heater turned on for the first time...to keep my computer a operating temperatures...
***
     
design219
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 08:26 AM
 
Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
It's for a mock trial.
This is starting to sound like an interesting mock trial. A lunatic PETA member comes running at you. You shoot him. Guilty or innocent?

...

What's a lame non-profit?
__________________________________________________

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.
     
Sealobo
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Intertube
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 09:19 AM
 
So a crazy person starts running towards you yelling and screaming, and you feel you might be in danger?

No offense, but are you a pu$$y?
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 09:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
Well you know I have to be politically correct. But yes, try to kill them.
I've always heard the proper way is to "shoot to stop." That is, you don't concern yourself with whether you kill them or not. You aren't trying to injure them, and you're not trying to kill them. You have to be in sufficient danger where your only thought is "I must stop this person by any means necessary." Shoot first, ask questions later.

People who claim that they would shoot someone in the leg have obviously not studied basic self-defense. It's a lot harder to hit someone in the leg than in the torso, especially if they're moving. And like I said, if you're in enough danger to warrant shooting at someone, you better make sure you hit them. I'm not even disputing that you're capable of hitting someone in the leg, but you're still a lot less likely to hit no matter how skilled you are, and it's not an approved self-defense technique.

In certain situations, I guess it would be okay to draw a gun and wait a second before firing to give the assailant a chance to surrender or flee. You wouldn't do this if someone was very close to you and had a weapon of some kind, but if someone is, say, a ways off and charging you, you could probably give him a split second after drawing before you fire. Only if it doesn't put you in danger.

Generally, though, I've always heard that you should only draw your gun if you intend to fire it.

As for the original situation, I agree with whoever said to continue getting in your car, lock the doors, and get out of there. Things would be different if you were, say, in the middle of the parking lot. Even then, it would depend on the situation and how much of a threat the person is (or seems to be).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mississippi
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 10:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Cops aren't really the best examples. I've been to the range with the officers in this area, and there's only one who has an even chance of beating me on any given day. But even so, they're all better than you described.
Again, I am not doubting that, but have you ever been in a life or death situation where you've had to fire your weapon? It's different than a typical shooting range everyone goes to and has time to aim and think through the shot. Not debating your skills, just bringing that point up.
     
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mississippi
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 10:12 AM
 
Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
I've always heard the proper way is to "shoot to stop." That is, you don't concern yourself with whether you kill them or not. You aren't trying to injure them, and you're not trying to kill them. You have to be in sufficient danger where your only thought is "I must stop this person by any means necessary." Shoot first, ask questions later.

People who claim that they would shoot someone in the leg have obviously not studied basic self-defense. It's a lot harder to hit someone in the leg than in the torso, especially if they're moving. And like I said, if you're in enough danger to warrant shooting at someone, you better make sure you hit them. I'm not even disputing that you're capable of hitting someone in the leg, but you're still a lot less likely to hit no matter how skilled you are, and it's not an approved self-defense technique.

In certain situations, I guess it would be okay to draw a gun and wait a second before firing to give the assailant a chance to surrender or flee. You wouldn't do this if someone was very close to you and had a weapon of some kind, but if someone is, say, a ways off and charging you, you could probably give him a split second after drawing before you fire. Only if it doesn't put you in danger.

Generally, though, I've always heard that you should only draw your gun if you intend to fire it.

As for the original situation, I agree with whoever said to continue getting in your car, lock the doors, and get out of there. Things would be different if you were, say, in the middle of the parking lot. Even then, it would depend on the situation and how much of a threat the person is (or seems to be).

I think you quoted the wrong person? I never said shoot the legs, and I was joking on the shoot to kill. Although I am aiming for the torso and hopefully never have to fire my weapon. I am in a different set of circumstances than most everyone else on the board. I have a taser and pepper spray to stop the person before I draw my gun. The gun is always a last resort and you never, under any circumstances, pull it out unless you are ready to take action. OP go to officer.com forums and pose that question. But explain what it's for. They will provide you with a lot of law enforcement views and what they would do if a regular citizen did that.
     
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 10:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
So a crazy person starts running towards you yelling and screaming, and you feel you might be in danger?

No offense, but are you a pu$$y?
No offense, but are you a mind reader? Can you read the crazy person's mind while they are coming at you? Is the crazy person hopped up on narcotics? Is the crazy person a violent offender? You could sit back an analyze it to death--yours.

And not directed at Sealobo, but here's how it should be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_QjEL0uUgo
     
Sealobo
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Intertube
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
No offense, but are you a mind reader? Can you read the crazy person's mind while they are coming at you? Is the crazy person hopped up on narcotics? Is the crazy person a violent offender? You could sit back an analyze it to death--yours.

And not directed at Sealobo, but here's how it should be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_QjEL0uUgo
You don't know what's going on - and that's exactly my point.

But Americans like to strike preemptively. That's a culture i fully understand but do not entirely agree.
     
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 10:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
You don't know what's going on - and that's exactly my point.

But Americans like to strike preemptively. That's a culture i fully understand but do not entirely agree.
Exactly, I don't know what's going on. We agree on that. So it's preemptive to defend myself? Crazy man running at me is not me acting first.

And, Americans like to strike preemptively? Humans have a built in sense of self-defense.
     
Sealobo
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Intertube
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 10:52 AM
 
Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
Exactly, I don't know what's going on. We agree on that. So it's preemptive to defend myself? Crazy man running at me is not me acting first.

And, Americans like to strike preemptively? Humans have a built in sense of self-defense.
You guys better ban those Funny Videos or Punk Videos before someone getting shot then. You know, those people always be coming at you crazy.

Shooting somebody down is more than to defend yourself. Maybe one day you're happy and you drank too much, intoxicated, yelling nonsense and running stupid crazy toward a stranger and he shot yo ass down, you'd start to feel me.
     
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 10:59 AM
 
Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
You guys better ban those Funny Videos or Punk Videos before someone getting shot then. You know, those people always be coming at you crazy.

Shooting somebody down is more than to defend yourself. Maybe one day you're happy and you drank too much, intoxicated, yelling nonsense and running stupid crazy toward a stranger and he shot yo ass down, you'd start to feel me.
     
badidea
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 11:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
You guys better ban those Funny Videos or Punk Videos before someone getting shot then. You know, those people always be coming at you crazy.

Shooting somebody down is more than to defend yourself. Maybe one day you're happy and you drank too much, intoxicated, yelling nonsense and running stupid crazy toward a stranger and he shot yo ass down, you'd start to feel me.
***
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 11:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
I think you quoted the wrong person? I never said shoot the legs, and I was joking on the shoot to kill. Although I am aiming for the torso and hopefully never have to fire my weapon. I am in a different set of circumstances than most everyone else on the board. I have a taser and pepper spray to stop the person before I draw my gun. The gun is always a last resort and you never, under any circumstances, pull it out unless you are ready to take action. OP go to officer.com forums and pose that question. But explain what it's for. They will provide you with a lot of law enforcement views and what they would do if a regular citizen did that.
Oh, I was only referring to the "shoot to kill" comment. Later in my post I addressed the others who claimed that shooting the legs would be a good idea.

So you're a police officer? Yeah, it's nice to have non-lethal options. However, I've heard that civilians should always decide on one or the other, because if you shoot and kill someone when you have non-lethal weapons on you, it's much harder to make a case for self defense.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
Demonhood
Administrator
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Land of the Easily Amused
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 01:33 PM
 
you can easily kill someone by shooting them in the leg. bleeding out isn't exactly rare.

as for the scenario, i'll echo what others have said: escape.
if you have a personality type that panics and reacts without thinking to stressful situations, it's probably a bad idea for you to be carrying a weapon capable of killing people from a distance.
     
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 03:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
if you have a personality type that panics and reacts without thinking to stressful situations, it's probably a bad idea for you to be carrying a weapon
Agreed.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 04:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
Again, I am not doubting that, but have you ever been in a life or death situation where you've had to fire your weapon? It's different than a typical shooting range everyone goes to and has time to aim and think through the shot. Not debating your skills, just bringing that point up.
I've drawn down on another person twice in my life: once to save another person's life, and once to save my own. Both times I was extremely calm while things were happening, it's likely the assailants would have been killed with the first shot. After the situations were over I was a bit rattled, but the police had already arrived. When my own life was in danger, the officers who arrived told me I should have killed the guy.

BTW, at the range we often use moving targets, silhouettes, etc.. My results are very similar to stationary drills.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
design219
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 06:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
you can easily kill someone by shooting them in the leg.
This is starting to feel like the average airspeed of the african swallow debate.
__________________________________________________

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.
     
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Near Boulder, CO
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 06:48 PM
 
[QUOTE=Shaddim] I've drawn down on another person twice in my life: once to save another person's life, and once to save my own. Both times I was extremely calm while things were happening, it's likely the assailants would have been killed with the first shot. After the situations were over I was a bit rattled, but the police had already arrived. When my own life was in danger, the officers who arrived told me I should have killed the guy. [ /QUOTE]

those sound like good stories....

It is taught in gun safety classes (NRA) that you should never show your weapon unless you intend to use it, it's called a concealed weapon for a reason! Brandishing will get you a visit from the cops and probably some time in jail... and shoot for the center of mass... dont shoot to wound or kill... shoot to stop the threat... if the perp dies then it better have been JUSTIFIED or you will be guilty of murder... key word being justified...

-Zach
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2009, 06:54 PM
 
You could always try non-lethal. Pepper spray, pepper foam, or even a dazzler. A dazzler works from a long way out and will temporarily blind someone.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 20, 2009, 09:21 AM
 
1. Lock self in car NOW.
2. Use cell phone to call police.
3. If said "crazy person" gets to car and pounds on it, drive away.
4. If said "crazy person" is actually armed and appears ready to use said weapon on you , DRIVE OFF FAST.

Use a firearm to protect yourself only if that's the ONLY way to do so.

That's not a cop out or an anti-gun statement (heavens no!), but a realistic bit of advice. It's much easier to demonstrate that the crazy guy was trying to hurt you by showing dents in the car (which the insurance on the car should cover), than to explain how he was threatening you from many meters away. Dropping him (maybe permanently) is a bad option on every level. Get the police on YOUR side by avoiding the confrontation if at all possible.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 20, 2009, 01:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Let's say you are in a parking lot at night, and as you are getting into your car a crazy person starts running towards you yelling and screaming.
Well, there's really only two responses, depending on the gender of the aforementioned crazy running person:

1) "Sorry mate, but I cannot teach you how to be as awesome as me without substantial financial recompense."

or

2) "Yes, I will father your babies. A week on Tuesday work for you? Wear some nice undies and bring cake."
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,