Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Upgrading from iPhone 3G to 3GS

Upgrading from iPhone 3G to 3GS
Thread Tools
MikeD
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Naperville, IL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 03:23 PM
 
So, I saw on the store that AT&T (Boo) is charging an $18 fee and starting a new 2 year contract. However, is the price still $299 for the 32GB model (Or the $499 listed)? Isn't a new contract enough for AT&T - yet they still have to charge $18 for early upgrade plus $18 activation...

At least let me use Sling Player over 3G!!! Sheesh... Plus no MMS right off the bat?! What's with this?!

It looks like we may be able to reserve them online... but I just don't want the crazy lines like last year.. will we get the same?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS
     
Koralatov
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 03:35 PM
 
At least you get the option of an upgrade. I seriously doubt O2 will allow us UK iPhoners to upgrade, even for a fee…

Edit: Just checked. O2 aren’t even aware of the iPhone 3GS by the looks of it…
     
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Durham, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 04:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
So, I saw on the store that AT&T (Boo) is charging an $18 fee and starting a new 2 year contract. However, is the price still $299 for the 32GB model (Or the $499 listed)? Isn't a new contract enough for AT&T - yet they still have to charge $18 for early upgrade plus $18 activation...

At least let me use Sling Player over 3G!!! Sheesh... Plus no MMS right off the bat?! What's with this?!

It looks like we may be able to reserve them online... but I just don't want the crazy lines like last year.. will we get the same?
If you have a 3G, the price for a 3GS is probably $499, since I think it usually takes 18 months after a phone upgrade to be eligible for the subsidized price. And since the iPhone 3G launch, it seems like AT&T is treating iPhone just like any other phone w/r/t to subsidies and upgrades and such.
     
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 04:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
If you have a 3G, the price for a 3GS is probably $499, since I think it usually takes 18 months after a phone upgrade to be eligible for the subsidized price. And since the iPhone 3G launch, it seems like AT&T is treating iPhone just like any other phone w/r/t to subsidies and upgrades and such.
What if you have a 2G (original iPhone)? I have one, and I seriously hope they wont gouge me for $699 for a 32GB 3GS. It will have been nearly 24 months since I signed up.

Here's the fine print from Apple's page:

Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).
The part about "AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone" gets me. Isn't that every single existing AT&T customer? Then they say "or replace an iPhone 3G", well isn't that the same friggin thing as "upgrade from another phone"? Ugh.
     
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Durham, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 04:33 PM
 
Well, up until today at least, people with the original iPhone got their upgrade eligibility reset when they put their SIM in the iPhone. I've been with AT&T less than 18 months but have been eligible for an upgrade since I got my hand-me-down first-gen iPhone.
     
JKT
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: London, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 04:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
At least you get the option of an upgrade. I seriously doubt O2 will allow us UK iPhoners to upgrade, even for a fee…
Iirc they did last time so I don't see why they wouldn't this time too.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 04:38 PM
 
I don't see anything about upgrading to the iPhone 3GS on AT&T's web site. As far as I can tell, they don't really know about the new version yet-it's not shown in their "shop" pages at all. Am I missing something, or are other people seeing "3GS" when it just says "3G"?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
jvr2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 04:50 PM
 
Go to the Apple Store..there you can pre-order and go through the steps with AT&T...personally I'm pissed! I have a 3G and now I'm getting raped for 499 plus another 2 years on top of my 1.
     
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 05:03 PM
 
I've never understood this practice by these companies. They treat their loyal customers like crap, while treating brand new customers like kings. Same with cable providers, etc. I've been with Comcast for many many years, and I never get any deals anymore, while brand new people who bounce from provider to provider get the sweetest deals around. I understand the need to woo new customers, but at least figure out a way to give your loyal customers some sort of deal from time to time too.

Grrrrrrr.
     
jvr2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 05:07 PM
 
They lost me..I was going to upgrade even with the 2 year contract..but **** this...$500 AND 3 more years..thats ok AT&T...I'll wait for the next phone and hopefully it will be offered on another provider so I can drop your ass and never come back.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 05:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by jvr2 View Post
Go to the Apple Store..there you can pre-order and go through the steps with AT&T...personally I'm pissed! I have a 3G and now I'm getting raped for 499 plus another 2 years on top of my 1.
Well, no.

First off, you are not eligible to upgrade, since you have been a customer less than 18 months. That's typically where they draw the line.

You could always do an early cancellation, which would incur a certain fee.
After that, I guess you'd be able to get a brand-new contract, paying $ 199/299 for a 2 year contract.

-t
     
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY²
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 06:33 PM
 
I got this from http://buyiphone.apple.com/.
As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 09/29/2009.
$299.00* — 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
$399.00* — 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
$499.00* — 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
Apparently I'm not that valued over at AT&T.
I'll wait until the end of september and then try my luck at the regular upgrade price.
     
frdmfghtr
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 07:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by jvr2 View Post
Go to the Apple Store..there you can pre-order and go through the steps with AT&T...personally I'm pissed! I have a 3G and now I'm getting raped for 499 plus another 2 years on top of my 1.
If you feel you're getting "raped" then don't buy it.
     
MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Naperville, IL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 07:13 PM
 
When I upgraded from the original iPhone to the 3G, they didn't have this 'different' pricing for the phone.... So what gives now though?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS
     
Phileas
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 07:21 PM
 
There seems to be a lot of people here who don't understand the principle of subsidized pricing.

Cell phones are expensive, so expensive that were you to sell them at the price they should be sold at if you wanted to cover cost plus make a profit, people would not buy them, not in numbers anyway. The carriers subsidize phones, then make their money back on plans and charges. It takes them some years to recover the subsidy, so that's the reason why you can't just upgrade for the lower prize.
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 08:04 PM
 
People got spoiled the first time around because the 1st generation iPhone wasn't subsidized. So iPhone users were able to upgrade to the 3G willy-nilly. The problem is that the 3G was subsidized... just like 99% of cell phones from every single cell phone company in the United States.

It really shouldn't be a surprise... then again, I found it very annoying last year when I discovered that I wasn't upgrade eligible and the $199 iPhone was going to cost me $399.

Still, this is nothing new. Every company does this.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
jvr2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 08:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well, no.

First off, you are not eligible to upgrade, since you have been a customer less than 18 months. That's typically where they draw the line.

You could always do an early cancellation, which would incur a certain fee.
After that, I guess you'd be able to get a brand-new contract, paying $ 199/299 for a 2 year contract.

-t
Well, yes....I can upgrade..but not until they take every dime they can plus add 2 years.

If you feel you're getting "raped" then don't buy it.
Duh..tell me something I don't know. I wont be buying...not enough new stuff to justify it...I wanted the new phone for the extra gigs and was just happy with any extras(i broke my canon camera the other day and will have to buy another one that will cost by itself $300 so I was very interested in better camera and video) but after learning this I don't thinks it's happening.

Id much rather pay $700 for the phone and not have to give AT&T another dime.

One question "AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment"..what does this mean? new 2 year..does that mean the existing contract goes poof or is it 1 + new 2 =3 years? Thanks.
     
kman42
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 08:21 PM
 
It appears that you can upgrade after 12 months of ownership without the AT&T bend-over charge. I bought my 3G on the day it came out and when I go through the Apple online purchase forms, it tells me that I can pay the higher amounts now or wait until 7/12/09 and get the standard upgrade pricing. I understand the phone was subsidized, but Apple should have ponied up for people that bought in the first two weeks or something. It's a small price to pay to make the early adopters happy.

3.0 has some nice features, so I'll be enjoying those for a month until I upgrade. I wonder if I'll still feel the need for a new phone at that point? Apple may be losing out a bit by not encouraging the early birds to get in line again on day one.
     
jvr2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 08:35 PM
 
Arggg..****!...I think I'm about to get f*cked again! I went through the Apple store to see what it would say about pricing and such and I think mine said like January or something...I didn't think anything of it at the time but I think I might get screwed cause Apple was nice to me. lol

I brought my phone in July..but the phone starting experiencing the hair line cracks all along the back(I have the white). I brought it into the Apple store and they gave me another one on the spot....does the upgrade year date go by date you opened plan or the day phone brought? Cause obviously the phone I have is not is not the one I brought in July. This is confusing and I'm tired and the Apple website is down...and I'm still confused about the 2 or 3 year contract...

ETA: Looked this up a little more and I don't think it had an impact. Nevermind guys, don't answer my confused questions...the answers really don't matter...not important.
( Last edited by jvr2; Jun 8, 2009 at 09:02 PM. )
     
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southern, NJ (near Philly YO!)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 09:27 PM
 
Preface: I upgraded to the 3G from a 1st gen in July 2008 less than a year. ATT states my upgrade date is 12/12/2009

So early cancellation fee $175 add new contract and iPhone 16GB 3Gs purchase at $199 Total = $375 + tax

As an existing customer New Contract and Valued Customer service fee $18 + upgrade price for 16 GB 3Gs is $599 Total = $617 + tax

Via Apple 3Gs site;
Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).
So I went through the Apple Buying process to see what they say and here is my actual account upgrade status and pricing

Review iPhone pricing.

As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/12/2009.
$299.00* — 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
$399.00* — 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
$499.00* — 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
So its new 2year contract $399 + $18 upgrade fee Total = $417 + tax



Wow AT&T Suck#s [email protected]@lls I guess they are taking their revenge for Apple not renewing the exclusive carrier contract out on the customer
( Last edited by stevesnj; Jun 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM. )
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 09:45 PM
 
That HAS to be incomplete or incorrect. Here's what I get when I start the pre-order process as an existing AT&T Wireless customer:

As an existing customer, you qualify for the following iPhone pricing: You'll be able to choose the iPhone you want a little later in the process.

* $99.00* — 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
* $199.00* — 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
* $299.00* — 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
There MUST be something missing from that verbiage. And I think I know what it is: I am a customer who is eligible for a phone upgrade. I've been eying going to an iPhone for a while, so I've been looking into whether I could upgrade inexpensively. My "eligible to upgrade equipment" date was May 18. That scary verbiage and price HAS TO BE based on a customer who is NOT yet eligible to upgrade his/her hardware, based on AT&T's contract with them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southern, NJ (near Philly YO!)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 09:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That HAS to be incomplete or incorrect. Here's what I get when I start the pre-order process as an existing AT&T Wireless customer:There MUST be something missing from that verbiage. And I think I know what it is: I am a customer who is eligible for a phone upgrade. I've been eying going to an iPhone for a while, so I've been looking into whether I could upgrade inexpensively. My "eligible to upgrade equipment" date was May 18. That scary verbiage and price HAS TO BE based on a customer who is NOT yet eligible to upgrade his/her hardware, based on AT&T's contract with them.
I think it is correct...it has been less than a year since I upgraded to a 3G so there must be a pro rate I incurred not the full price Apple quotes.

I suspect you have had your phone over a year? correct?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 11:55 PM
 
My upgrade eligibility is 18 months after I purchased my iPhone 3G.

-t
     
fraeone
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Olympia, WA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2009, 11:59 PM
 
What's weird is there is clearly another variable that we don't understand.

My upgrade "eligibility" date is 18mo after I got my 3G, but my co-worker's date is 21 months after he got his 3G, and some folks have stated (including in this thread) that their date is 12 months after getting their 3G.

I wish I knew what that variable is.
     
kman42
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2009, 12:43 AM
 
That other variable is called the overall profit made by ATT off of any given subscriber since they've been with ATT.

I'm eligible at 12 months. My wife, who's on the same family plan as I am and whose phone was purchased at the same time, is 18 months.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2009, 08:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
I think it is correct...it has been less than a year since I upgraded to a 3G so there must be a pro rate I incurred not the full price Apple quotes.
I haven't seen anything about pro rating prices on iPhones. Before my upgrade eligibility date, I could have bought an iPhone for the AT&T standard, "no contract" prices, which were the prices you posted.
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
I suspect you have had your phone over a year? correct?
Yes I have. And it's not an iPhone. The standard is something like 18-24 months before the customer is eligible for an equipment upgrade, which may also depend on what equipment you have. My family has had RAZRs for about 4 years now, and our last equipment upgrade was just to newer RAZRs. We're also covered by a group rate discount, but that doesn't seem to apply to iPhones (hey, 10% is still 10%). Maybe it will still apply to the service fees. I'll have to talk to them about this.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Naperville, IL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2009, 10:19 AM
 
Now, some people have said 1 year (So 3G owners on day one will have to wait until July...) but then I read the 18 month thing. Does anyone know which is it? Also, I fully understand the pricing. HOWEVER, $200 more to have the privilege of upgrading early WITH a contract?! Then $200 more after that to have no contract? Ugh.. At least we'll have 3.0 for free.

AT&T should really check their pricing and see who their REAL customers are as I've been with them for MANY years even before the iPhone came out. I'm just unhappy with this (and how much they'll probably charge us for tethering). The only reason I stay with them is GSM (Better phones IMO and more flexible) and now the iPhone (Best phone ever)
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS
     
JKT
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: London, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2009, 12:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Iirc they did last time so I don't see why they wouldn't this time too.
Fwiw, I was wrong. O2's website is awful for finding out the necessary information (I can't even view my bill at the moment to remember when I started my plan, never mind finding out if and when I would be eligible for an upgrade). So I guess I'm sitting this new model out, then.
     
mduell
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2009, 02:29 PM
 
I don't understand all the whining. The standard practice in the US cellular market is you get a subsidized phone when you sign a 2 year contract, and you're not eligible for another subsidized phone (even if you extend your contract) until 18-22 months later. Otherwise people could get a new subsidized phone every day and make the carrier eat $200,000 in subsidies.

IIRC the original iPhone was an exception to the standard subsidy system since AT&T gave Apple a monthly kickback instead of an up front payment, so it didn't affect your upgrade eligibility.
     
MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Naperville, IL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2009, 03:24 PM
 
now, I'm assuming that the rate plans are the same... If I got an iPhone 3gs, could I just put the sim in it to activate it? My wife's plan is eligible for an upgrade but she can take the 3g as she barely uses all the functionality of the original iPhone. So, if we get the 3gs under her plan, I drop my sim in it and she puts her sim in the 3g, will all be good? Or are these devices locked to a single sim?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2009, 04:26 PM
 
From what I gather the rates are identical.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
Andy8
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2009, 07:19 PM
 
Your old 3G iPhones will work just fine, no one is forcing anyone to upgrade.

It is beyond me why people complain about something they feel they are forced to do.

I am still using my original 2G iPhone and it works perfectly fine, thanks very much.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2009, 08:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Now, some people have said 1 year (So 3G owners on day one will have to wait until July...) but then I read the 18 month thing. Does anyone know which is it? Also, I fully understand the pricing. HOWEVER, $200 more to have the privilege of upgrading early WITH a contract?! Then $200 more after that to have no contract? Ugh.. At least we'll have 3.0 for free.

AT&T should really check their pricing and see who their REAL customers are as I've been with them for MANY years even before the iPhone came out. I'm just unhappy with this (and how much they'll probably charge us for tethering). The only reason I stay with them is GSM (Better phones IMO and more flexible) and now the iPhone (Best phone ever)
That "privilege of upgrading" you're referring to means that AT&T will not make their expected profit off of your original phone. You promised to keep service with them for two years, and they said that they'd give you a discounted price on the iPhone. There is NOTHING that says they have to, or even should give you a discount on another iPhone before they've made enough on your contract to justify the original discount.

AT&T is a corporation that is built on earning a profit for their shareholders by providing a service. They do not "charge extra" for the iPhone before a customer is eligible to upgrade (at 18 months or so into the contract), but rather the actual price. They subsidize the cost of the phone for people who are new customers or are eligible for an equipment upgrade.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southern, NJ (near Philly YO!)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2009, 11:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Your old 3G iPhones will work just fine, no one is forcing anyone to upgrade.

It is beyond me why people complain about something they feel they are forced to do.

I am still using my original 2G iPhone and it works perfectly fine, thanks very much.
I am trying to work out the math thats all, who is complaining or feel's forced?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb
     
MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Naperville, IL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2009, 12:01 PM
 
But can you still swap sims to the new iPhone even though your contract is on a 3G? What about 1st gen iPhone to 3g? Or in that case, you would need to go to AT&T since the rate plans are different?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS
     
mi_canuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 09:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
What if you have a 2G (original iPhone)? I have one, and I seriously hope they wont gouge me for $699 for a 32GB 3GS. It will have been nearly 24 months since I signed up.

Here's the fine print from Apple's page:



The part about "AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone" gets me. Isn't that every single existing AT&T customer? Then they say "or replace an iPhone 3G", well isn't that the same friggin thing as "upgrade from another phone"? Ugh.

Don't worry dude... I had the original 8GB iPhone (RIP)... and ordered a 32GB iPhone 3GS and the price is 299. Remember the original iPhone (1st gen) was not subsidized, so if you are upgrading from that, there are no restrictions or anything... You'll be able to get the subsidized 3GS price... Especially after 2 yrs... (I got my 1st gen iPhone in Aug 07... and qualified no problems...)
---------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.2Ghz/200GB 7200rpm HD
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 10:06 AM
 
Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
The part about "AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone" gets me. Isn't that every single existing AT&T customer? Then they say "or replace an iPhone 3G", well isn't that the same friggin thing as "upgrade from another phone"? Ugh.
AT&T is in the business of selling phones, so discouraging equipment upgrades would be counterproductive. You have to read the WHOLE statement AND know about the 18-or-so month requirement, but there's no contradiction in that statement. If you've had your phone for long enough (ANY phone), AT&T has NO problem in giving you the discounted price.

You can find out whether you're "eligible for equipment upgrade" by going to your AT&T account online and going to "Account Overview." Look for "Check Upgrade Options" in the right hand side of the screen.

I walked into my nearest AT&T store yesterday afternoon, plunked down a little more than $200, and pre-ordered a 16GB iPhone 3GS to replace my nearly 2-year old RAZR. No problem, no hassle. And I got the discounted price because I've had my old phone for long enough.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
mi_canuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 10:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
AT&T is in the business of selling phones, so discouraging equipment upgrades would be counterproductive. You have to read the WHOLE statement AND know about the 18-or-so month requirement, but there's no contradiction in that statement. If you've had your phone for long enough (ANY phone), AT&T has NO problem in giving you the discounted price.

You can find out whether you're "eligible for equipment upgrade" by going to your AT&T account online and going to "Account Overview." Look for "Check Upgrade Options" in the right hand side of the screen.

I walked into my nearest AT&T store yesterday afternoon, plunked down a little more than $200, and pre-ordered a 16GB iPhone 3GS to replace my nearly 2-year old RAZR. No problem, no hassle. And I got the discounted price because I've had my old phone for long enough.

WRONG! AT&T is in the business of selling SERVICE PLANS.... they could care less about the phones themselves... why do you think they subsidize them so much... it's to sell more service plans and their goal is to sell you the MOST expensive plan they can... the smartphones and iphones and such are just a vehicle for the SERVICE PLAN.
---------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.2Ghz/200GB 7200rpm HD
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 10:15 AM
 
Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
WRONG! AT&T is in the business of selling SERVICE PLANS.... they could care less about the phones themselves... why do you think they subsidize them so much... it's to sell more service plans and their goal is to sell you the MOST expensive plan they can... the smartphones and iphones and such are just a vehicle for the SERVICE PLAN.
The service plans depend on newer and newer equipment. You can't charge someone with a Micro-Tac for a data plan. So in order to make their profits from service plans, they MUST be in the business of selling phones that require those plans. The profit goal is to sell more expensive plans, but in order to do that, they must sell more advanced phones. Thus, they ARE in the business of selling phones-though the profit from that DOES come from the service plans.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
sfelaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 09:38 PM
 
My current plan (on my original iPhone) includes data, phone minutes, and text messages. When I looked at upgrading and ordering a 3GS on Apple's website, they only allowed me to choose the data plan and how many text messages I want. What about actual voice minutes? Does my current plan stay in effect? That doesn't seem possible because it requires a new 2 yr contract. I want to know the monthly price for my plan as well as the price of the phone before I give up my current plan. Any ideas?
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 13, 2009, 07:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by sfelaw View Post
My current plan (on my original iPhone) includes data, phone minutes, and text messages. When I looked at upgrading and ordering a 3GS on Apple's website, they only allowed me to choose the data plan and how many text messages I want. What about actual voice minutes? Does my current plan stay in effect? That doesn't seem possible because it requires a new 2 yr contract. I want to know the monthly price for my plan as well as the price of the phone before I give up my current plan. Any ideas?
Actually if you look at your bill, your current plan does not include everything for one price. Your minutes are one price, and the data+texts are a $20 add on. However that option no longer exists, so you have to choose a new more expensive data option and additional fees for texts.

AT&T and Apple are just assuming you want the same number of minutes in your plan.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 13, 2009, 10:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Actually if you look at your bill, your current plan does not include everything for one price. Your minutes are one price, and the data+texts are a $20 add on. However that option no longer exists, so you have to choose a new more expensive data option and additional fees for texts.

AT&T and Apple are just assuming you want the same number of minutes in your plan.
Data and text are separate. Text messaging is via SMS, data through WiFi, EDGE, 2G or 3G. So it's voice (one charge), data (second charge), and text (third charge). But if they didn't ask you to upgrade your voice package, then it obviously is sufficient to handle an iPhone.

And you are completely allowed to delete the text package and either go "by message" (which charges for both outgoing and incoming text messages), or block them altogether and set up an email account to do the same thing. I can email through the text capability of my current phone, a Moto RAZR. and I believe ANY text-capable phone can as well. Problem solved, and you can save as much as $30/month (the cost of the "unlimited text messages" package).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 13, 2009, 11:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Data and text are separate. Text messaging is via SMS, data through WiFi, EDGE, 2G or 3G. So it's voice (one charge), data (second charge), and text (third charge). But if they didn't ask you to upgrade your voice package, then it obviously is sufficient to handle an iPhone.

And you are completely allowed to delete the text package and either go "by message" (which charges for both outgoing and incoming text messages), or block them altogether and set up an email account to do the same thing. I can email through the text capability of my current phone, a Moto RAZR. and I believe ANY text-capable phone can as well. Problem solved, and you can save as much as $30/month (the cost of the "unlimited text messages" package).
He had the original iPhone plan, in which text and data were not separate.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 13, 2009, 02:26 PM
 
I wasn't aware that they had ever been combined. But that "original" plan was quite a long time ago...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 13, 2009, 03:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I wasn't aware that they had ever been combined. But that "original" plan was quite a long time ago...
It was that plan that kept me from upgrading to the 3G, actually. The original iPhone had unlimited data and 200 texts for $20. Same package with the 3G was $30 + $5. So an extra $180 per year for the same service.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 13, 2009, 05:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
It was that plan that kept me from upgrading to the 3G, actually. The original iPhone had unlimited data and 200 texts for $20. Same package with the 3G was $30 + $5. So an extra $180 per year for the same service.
No, not the same. You only had GPRS vs. 3G. I know it was a hardware thing, but still, things like that get factored into the price by the providers. Essentially, iPhone 2G users only use a fraction of the bandwidth, compared to iPhone 3G users.

-t
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 13, 2009, 05:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
No, not the same. You only had GPRS vs. 3G. I know it was a hardware thing, but still, things like that get factored into the price by the providers. Essentially, iPhone 2G users only use a fraction of the bandwidth, compared to iPhone 3G users.

-t
Right, but either way it was unlimited data and 200 texts. Doesn't matter to me that one was faster, I would have been paying much more for the same basic plan.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,