Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Oh, FFS...

Oh, FFS...
Thread Tools
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2016, 06:30 PM
 
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2016, 07:19 PM
 
Sounds familiar. I wonder if they show movies too. Though I had no idea gluten was dangerous.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2016, 07:26 PM
 
It must be like peanuts or something, we just didn't get the memo.
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2016, 07:27 PM
 
Is this a real thing? Gluten isn't something that gets airborne and puts people in intensive care.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2016, 07:32 PM
 
From the number of clearly un-grain-related things I've found labeled "gluten free," I think they're hoping most people are too stupid to not know that gluten isn't like typhus or anthrax. 'Cause people are pretty dumb that way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 7, 2016, 07:59 PM
 
Maybe they're worried someone in the restaurant would see food that doesn't suck.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 12:51 AM
 
Ahh, the pretentiousness. We have a vegan bistro nearby that discourages customers from wearing leather and cosmetics/perfumes that have animal products. In fact, if you're wearing a leather coat they'll ask you to take it back out to your car. They have good eggplant pasta, though.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 03:08 AM
 
Would they know if I brought my sausage in?
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 04:14 AM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
From the number of clearly un-grain-related things I've found labeled "gluten free," I think they're hoping most people are too stupid to not know that gluten isn't like typhus or anthrax. 'Cause people are pretty dumb that way.
That labeling is because manufacturers don't always clean their equipment meticulously when switching between different products. By saying that something is "gluten free", you know that that equipment was never used for anything with gluten.

But also this:

The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
Doc HM
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 05:42 AM
 
I don't see a problem. Surely all restaurants are the same. Only food bought there should be consumed there is what they seem to be asking in a roundabout way. That seems sensible.

As for the vegan cafe. Yeah. Them too. They have an ethical stance on treatment of animals and have built a business around this. I would say wearing a leather coat to a vegan joint is at the least discourteous.
Shoes I'm not so sure about. Technically they should be the same. They aren't so ostentatious though.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 06:11 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
As for the vegan cafe. Yeah. Them too. They have an ethical stance on treatment of animals and have built a business around this. I would say wearing a leather coat to a vegan joint is at the least discourteous.
Shoes I'm not so sure about. Technically they should be the same. They aren't so ostentatious though.
Except they don't outwardly say it's a Vegan place out front. You don't find that out until you're already inside, then they ask you to take your leather jacket back to your car. I would have simply left, but I was starving and didn't want to disappoint my family (who was already being seated).

Oh, and they served honey and used beeswax candles, and both products exploit bees, which are now far more vulnerable than cows, chickens, or pigs.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 08:34 AM
 
There's things that have gluten in them you'd be surprised. However, it's not airborne as you say.

To rule out allergies etc, I'm currently avoiding gluten, lactose, corn syrup and a billion other things, which has made me tempted to bring my own food with me to a regular restaurant.
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 12:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I don't see a problem. Surely all restaurants are the same. Only food bought there should be consumed there is what they seem to be asking in a roundabout way. That seems sensible.
Yet most restaurants assume you can figure that out, and don't post a sign.

And those who don't post a sign to that effect, rather than one insinuating it violates the gluten embargo.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 8, 2016 at 02:58 PM. )
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 03:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
There's things that have gluten in them you'd be surprised. However, it's not airborne as you say.

To rule out allergies etc, I'm currently avoiding gluten, lactose, corn syrup and a billion other things, which has made me tempted to bring my own food with me to a regular restaurant.
If you're not already familiar, I can suggest "LactAid" brand milk. Tastes just like regular milk.

That's not even the cool part, though... they irradiate it or something, so a fresh carton lasts a month-and-a-half. No more trashing 3/4 empty cartons which have gone bad. I'd recommend it even if you weren't doing the test.
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 04:05 PM
 
I have tried that and liked it... mmm, radiation!

I also like almond milk, chocolate in particular. Soy milk is off the diet, thankfully, as that stuff sucks.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 04:19 PM
 
If the sign is because they serve food and therefore disallow customers bringing in food from the outside across the board that would be one thing. But if it's because they allow outside food to be brought into the establishment but only if it's "gluten free" then that's another ball of wax.

OAW
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 05:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I have tried that and liked it... mmm, radiation!

I also like almond milk, chocolate in particular. Soy milk is off the diet, thankfully, as that stuff sucks.
I like soy milk for whatever reason, but I need to lay off the carbs, and I don't like it enough to be a cheat food.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 09:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
There's things that have gluten in them you'd be surprised. However, it's not airborne as you say.

To rule out allergies etc, I'm currently avoiding gluten, lactose, corn syrup and a billion other things, which has made me tempted to bring my own food with me to a regular restaurant.
This is true. But when has cheese been made with gluten - and been labeled "100% real cheese"? Gluten has been used in a lot of products to thicken them, but not (ever, as far as I can tell) a plethora of stuff that is now labeled as gluten free.

I had a patient once who was both gluten intolerant and an observant Jew; her dietary needs actually meshed pretty well.

But the key is really just reading labels and knowing what aliases gluten goes by (kind of like learning the AKAs of "sugar," like "dried cane syrup" and such). So folks who really are trying to pay attention to what they're actually eating typically already know to read the labels, and the new labels basically wind up being hype.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 8, 2016, 09:35 PM
 
That place, as far as I could tell, was a kosher place before it was gluten free.

Just an interesting coincidence.
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2016, 10:11 PM
 

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2016, 03:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This is true. But when has cheese been made with gluten - and been labeled "100% real cheese"? Gluten has been used in a lot of products to thicken them, but not (ever, as far as I can tell) a plethora of stuff that is now labeled as gluten free.
I felt something similar when we went through the "trans fat" stage.

The utterly horrible for you junk food which proudly exclaimed "no trans fats!"
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2016, 09:02 PM
 
Yup. That's exactly what I mean.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 11, 2016, 01:35 AM
 


From one of my favorite Youtubers. Horribly NSFW.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Rock
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 11, 2016, 09:36 AM
 
I really don't get the problem. It's their store, they can require what they want. They're trying to capture a niche market and good on them.

It's beautiful capitalism at work.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 11, 2016, 01:01 PM
 
No doubt in my mind, I agree, just post that it's a Vegan restaurant outside, that way people would know not to wear leather inside.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,