Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Airport Express, G5 speed bump what to come in WWDC '04 ?

Airport Express, G5 speed bump what to come in WWDC '04 ?
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2004, 10:09 AM

A little thought,

Apple launched Aiport Express on monday, G5 speed bump today thursday...I am just wondering what is going to come up on WWDC on June 28? Why would apple launch this products before June 28 and not announce them at WWDC'04? Will they have something far more important and better? Any thoughts?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 10:18 AM

WWDC is supposed to be a developer conference first but Apple has been using it for product announcements also. All that's left to update are displays, iMacs, eMacs, and iPods.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by jorgem4:
A little thought,

Apple launched Aiport Express on monday, G5 speed bump today thursday...I am just wondering what is going to come up on WWDC on June 28? Why would apple launch this products before June 28 and not announce them at WWDC'04? Will they have something far more important and better? Any thoughts?
That is what I asked myself, too.

Maybe the G5 iMacs are true, and will be presented at WWDC.

It's still kinda strange that Apple announces so much stuff shortly before the WWDC. Kind a unlike Apple...

-t

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2004, 10:29 AM

I'm guessing nothing... and he will focus on Tiger and reviewing all of the hardware.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 10:33 AM

I think the big show-and-tell will be reserved for Tiger.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I think the big show-and-tell will be reserved for Tiger.
I think it'll be Tiger and the new G5 iMac... and maybe the new Cinemas.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
That is what I asked myself, too.

Maybe the G5 iMacs are true, and will be presented at WWDC.

It's still kinda strange that Apple announces so much stuff shortly before the WWDC. Kind a unlike Apple...

-t
I believe they simply had too much to unveil to do it all at one show.

Tiger, G5 iMac (probably), G5 PM speed bump, new Cinemas, new 60GB iPod, etc.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2004, 10:39 AM

I'm guessing nothing... Steve will go over AirPort Express and the new G5 and show off Tiger.

Perhaps a little surprise or the iMac mini (that would be great for me)

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by jorgem4:
A little thought,

It is called previewing 10.4

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 11:24 AM

I met the dude who gaffs all of Apple's product shoots and he said he had something coming up this week. He said they don't tell him what to expect until he gets there.

I also met a camera man who shoots of them from time to time and he confirmed that Steve Jobs is a complete jerk.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 11:25 AM

G5 iMac - the all-dual Powermacs leave the door wide open for a G5 iMac. The time is right - it will never be righter.

My guess is 1.6 1.8 and 2GHz models.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I also met a camera man who shoots of them from time to time and he confirmed that Steve Jobs is a complete jerk.
Unfortunately, most people that come from nothing to achieve "millionaire" or "billionaire" status are.

Most wealthy "nice guys" come from money.

I'm not saying it's right, but his people seem to stay loyal.

dav
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 12:22 PM

powermac g5 cube. $999.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 01:01 PM

I am guessing that WWDC will focus mostly on software updates. Tiger, and any other new software, developer tools updates, etc. Announcing software updates other than iTunes outside of a conference doesn't make much of an impact, but hardware can be announced whenever it's ready. Just my 2 cents. I'd love to see G5 iMacs, though I won't buy one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
G5 iMac - the all-dual Powermacs leave the door wide open for a G5 iMac. The time is right - it will never be righter.

My guess is 1.6 1.8 and 2GHz models.
Apple just said it's probably not gonna happen in 2004.

http://macnn.com/news/25001

Bummer !

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by dav:
powermac g5 cube. $999.
You and I WISH it was true...

-t

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by dav:
powermac g5 cube. $999.
Don't think you could fit much more than one G5 with heatsink in the cube enclosure.

But yeah, if appropriately priced I think it would be a good move.

Atomic Rooster
Jun 9, 2004, 03:00 PM

G5's with automobile type radiators.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 03:13 PM

Uhh... my guess... Jobs announces... he's really been a cross dressing monkey all along...

Don't expect iTunes or iPod news here, that's for the conference on the 15th in London. So either something new with the iMacs, or it'll all be Panther and perhaps a new Keynote or something?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 03:31 PM

The only thing that we know for sure is that "Tiger" will be announced!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 03:51 PM

I think the new iPod will go with the Euro launch.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
I think the new iPod will go with the Euro launch.
We don't need a NEW iPod launch in London. What we NEED is a iPod MINI launch in London.
There is 0% chance of there being any sort of big iPod launch (outside of a UK mini announcement) as we always get the stuff months after USA availability. Even Jobs wouldn't launch stuff in one continent for it only to be available in another.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 07:59 PM

They will probably anounce the official release of Motion.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 12:25 AM

iMac Mini?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 01:43 AM

From what I understand the iPod was pretty big over there in the UK, you might see Apple say, hey you guys were huge for that and we love ya crazy brits, here we'll even make em avaliable a week before the US ones

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
From what I understand the iPod was pretty big over there in the UK, you might see Apple say, hey you guys were huge for that and we love ya crazy brits, here we'll even make em avaliable a week before the US ones
And then Steve will break into a fit of uncontrollable laughter

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
And then Steve will break into a fit of uncontrollable laughter
Before or after the cross dressing monkey announcement?

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 07:33 AM

I still believe that Apple will debut a new iPod with a colour screen and an iPod version of iPhoto - and maybe - maybe - have it airport enabled. We'll know very shortly.

Of course I could be very wrong - I am *so* happy as today I put my order in for a new 17" powerbook.
this sig intentionally left blank

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 10, 2004, 07:53 AM

Steve's gonna keep stopping every 20 minutes to refill daimoni's kawfee.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2004, 08:03 AM

My guess: Tiger, new monitors, and more stuff with the Pro line.

G5 iMacs: Not unless they've redesigned the case. They've had problems fitting the G5 into the current design of iMacs; the chips are simply too hot. I wouldn't put a case-redesign past them, though, because a G5 is not going to fit into the iMac as we know it for at least another year, if it ever does. Unfortunately, the time could be "righter", contrary to what Gee4orce says: namely, when the G5 doesn't run so hot.

G5 eMacs: From a technical perspective this would be much easier; the case is bigger, so heat's not as much of a concern. Business-wise, though, there's no way Apple will launch a G5 eMac until they've got a working G5 iMac.

G5 laptops: Apple's already spoken to this one. It's going to be a while, to say the least. The problem here is even worse than it is with the current iMac case.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:

G5 iMacs: Not unless they've redesigned the case. They've had problems fitting the G5 into the current design of iMacs; the chips are simply too hot. I wouldn't put a case-redesign past them, though, because a G5 is not going to fit into the iMac as we know it for at least another year, if it ever does. Unfortunately, the time could be "righter", contrary to what Gee4orce says: namely, when the G5 doesn't run so hot.

G5 eMacs: From a technical perspective this would be much easier; the case is bigger, so heat's not as much of a concern. Business-wise, though, there's no way Apple will launch a G5 eMac until they've got a working G5 iMac.

G5 laptops: Apple's already spoken to this one. It's going to be a while, to say the least. The problem here is even worse than it is with the current iMac case.
Yes, I think the show is going to be more of a wrap up of what they have been doing.

I'm still holding out for either a headless eMac/iMac (same mobo and everything of the eMac, but no monitor) or another consumer electronic device.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:

Have you seen the new beefed up heatpipes in the 20" iMac? I believe it can handle the heat from a 1.6GHz G5.
- Thomas Paine

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 10, 2004, 03:00 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 12, 2004 at 01:30 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2004, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

I'm still holding out for either a headless eMac/iMac (same mobo and everything of the eMac, but no monitor)
That would be FREAKIN awesome...

Almost to good to ever be true...

-t

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 09:01 PM

I'm guessing the all new, highly awaited... 1.5ghz imac g4!!!!!

Then we get to hear marketing talk about how crazy and impossible it'd be to stick a g5 in an imac and how it won't happen "for a long time to come."
Aloha

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Link:
I'm guessing the all new, highly awaited... 1.5ghz imac g4!!!!!

Then we get to hear marketing talk about how crazy and impossible it'd be to stick a g5 in an imac and how it won't happen "for a long time to come."
If I bought the new G4 iMac when it comes out, the new G5 better takes a while. Otherwise, I'd be pissed...

-t

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2004, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Have you seen the new beefed up heatpipes in the 20" iMac? I believe it can handle the heat from a 1.6GHz G5.
I'm not so sure about that; consider all the airflow design work they had to do for even that machine. I doubt they can cut things quite that fine in the iMac's tiny case.

Maybe if they incorporated the liquid-cooling system, things might work a little better. But the fact that they only included it on their top-end G5 model says to me that they're still not entirely confident in the technology, and want to see how it plays out in a bigger machine first.

As I said before, my guess is that they'll have to redesign the case before they can put even one G5 in it. They could certainly do that -it wouldn't be the first total case redesign the iMac has gone through- but my guess is, that's what's going to have to happen.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 03:06 PM

The original iMac went through a redesign into the slot loading iMac, which was fanless and had the shielding taken away from around the back of the monitor. They could do a similar update to the iMac now, keep the general iMac design of the screen on an arm over half a ball, but rejig the internals to make fitting a G5 possible.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:
The original iMac went through a redesign into the slot loading iMac, which was fanless and had the shielding taken away from around the back of the monitor. They could do a similar update to the iMac now, keep the general iMac design of the screen on an arm over half a ball, but rejig the internals to make fitting a G5 possible.
What shielding you propose to be taken away from the existing iMac ?

The LCD iMac is a completely different design than the old iMac's.
As it looks right now, it would be easier to put a G5 in an eMac then into the existing iMac. Which, of course, won't be happening !

Me personally, I still hope for the coming back of the cube, the iCube !

-t

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 03:52 PM

I'm not saying they should take shielding off the imac now, I meant that they took off the shielding from around the monitor on the old iMac as part of the redesign (the whole case was different). I meant they could keep the general look of the current iMac, and redesign the internals to house the G5. And yes, we all* live in hope of a new Cube!

* 'All' meaning most of us, there have to be a few people who don't want to see an Apple cube shaped computer ever again because it was sooo unexpandable and impractical compared to a Powermac!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 11, 2004, 07:44 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 12, 2004 at 01:33 AM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Heh. Tell that to all the ex-Apple people I know.

People work at Apple because it's Apple. They work there despite Steve Jobs.
Most folks there hardly ever interact with him. But almost anyone will sing his praises in comparison to the company's previous leadership.

gomariners
Jun 11, 2004, 08:20 PM

The most needed thing is a remote for airtunes, I think, and could come out. An ipod-mimic, but thinner, no HD, just a little flash mem for keeping track of playlists and songs on the network, and bluetooth or RF with a USB dongle to stick in airport express (no need for wifi, plus extra power and size).

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2004, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by gomariners:
The most needed thing is a remote for airtunes, I think, and could come out. An ipod-mimic, but thinner, no HD, just a little flash mem for keeping track of playlists and songs on the network, and bluetooth or RF with a USB dongle to stick in airport express (no need for wifi, plus extra power and size).
I think a 802.11 remote control would be interesting.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I think a 802.11 remote control would be interesting.
And expensive

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Most folks there hardly ever interact with him. But almost anyone will sing his praises in comparison to the company's previous leadership.
of course steve jobs is an asshole. but his charisma more than makes up for it.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
And expensive
Not necessarily... $60 for a remote that is basically a network device... who knows.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 12, 2004, 12:06 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 12, 2004 at 01:34 AM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:
True enough.
But that doesn't mean he's not an asshole

But then every CEO I've had the displeasure of meeting is also an asshole, so he's not too far from the norm.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 01:03 PM

Tjhey could just move to a Dual Processor iMac G4.Lord knows they havent done as much as they could have with the G4 and there's still room for improvement.

I'm just guessing...dual processor iMac G4s. Why wouldnt they want to tap into that potential before moving to the G5 ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules