Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Bootable Classic CD?

Bootable Classic CD?
BigCanoe
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 09:09 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to make a bootable Classic CD that I can use for when I need OS 9? I am trying to avoid installing it permanently on my hard drive.

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2003, 05:22 AM

what kind of computer are u running? for sure u cant with the new PB's or new computers cuz i know my Tibook 15 1ghz would not even boot from Jaguar CD 10.2 without installing the updates!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 08:55 PM

Yes, it's possible, as long as your computer supports OS 9 as Mohammed Al-Sabah mentioned.
You'll need to use Toast. Apple's disc burning tools can't create a bootable CD I believe.
There are a few ways to go about this. You could put the System folder from a bootable CD onto your new one, or you could create a disk image, then install the Mac OS onto that, then burn the image to CD.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2003, 03:20 AM

DO the disk image method. There is a greater chance of the copying method to result in the System Folder becoming "unblessed" and having to do the whole process over.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

OHMS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2003, 05:15 PM

I NEED TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL OF 9.2.2, AND MY G4-867-SP WON'T EVEN READ A 9.1 OR 9.2 CD. A DSL INSTALL GONE AMUCK DID A BAD EXTENSION THING TO SYSTEM, AND ALSO TRIED TO INSTALL A "NEW" OLDER BROWSER; WHICH RESULTED IN HALF OF EACH PAGE BEING IN HYROGLYPHICS@@!!

Safari won't work with PADI.com and other sites I need to use; so I've got to clean up the OS9 & Internet Explorer folders.

I've tried to do a clean install of 9.2.2 with my OS 10.2.5; but can't get custom install of just 9.2.2
thanks, all

mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules