Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > APFS vs HFS and best practice for multiple systems with 10.13?

APFS vs HFS and best practice for multiple systems with 10.13?
serr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2017, 11:57 AM

I installed 10.13 on a partition on my system SSD on my Macbook Pro. I have 2 partitions currently to switch between my solid stable 10.6.8 system and whatever new attempt at an OSX that comes out.

So I realize that I ended up forcing 10.13 to install into an HFS formatted volume. Apparently it can sort of run that way but is not recommended?

I have in fact seen two issues so far. Once waking up from sleep it didn't turn the screen on. I see a string of complaints about random occurrences of that online. Possibly just a new bug and not related? Updating from 10.13.1 to 10.13.2 left the system in a state that internet connection was no longer possible (through App store or any browser app). Allrighty then... roll back to 10.13.1.

Right. So what is actually the best practice to run dueling systems on a single SSD when one needs HFS+ and can't use the new format and the other isn't really supposed to be run on the old format? If there's a compromise to be made, is there some flag to set in 10.13 to make it behave with HFS?

Thanks!

reader50
Administrator
Dec 13, 2017, 02:33 PM

High Sierra is happy to run on APFS or HFS+. It doesn't have a preference. If anything, bug fixing suggests it's slightly more stable on HFS+, though the APFS side will settle down with time.

Suggestion: move Snow Leopard to an external drive. I haven't experimented with partitioning SSDs, and suspect that is the problem.

serr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
High Sierra is happy to run on APFS or HFS+. It doesn't have a preference. If anything, bug fixing suggests it's slightly more stable on HFS+, though the APFS side will settle down with time.

Suggestion: move Snow Leopard to an external drive. I haven't experimented with partitioning SSDs, and suspect that is the problem.
If anything would be getting moved to an external drive it would be 10.13! The 10.6.8 system is the stable one where work gets done.

I'll poke around more with the different install permutations I suppose and report back if I discover anything.

It looks like you might be able to format volumes on the same physical drive independently? I'll play with that too after I verify that Carbon Copy Cloner can successfully copy the new installs and everything boots.

Forum Links
Forum Rules