Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ho Ho Ho! Merry Christmas!!

Ho Ho Ho! Merry Christmas!!
thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 04:38 AM

Wishing all the members of MacNN a very happy and safe Christmas! Look after yourselves and your families, and have a wonderful day!

Now everyone post photos of how they are experiencing Christmas. Here's my Christmas tree:

I bought Kate a Super Nintendo (she loves Donkey Kong on my computer) and an MP3 player (she really wanted one). Not very romantic I know, but Super Nintendo is cool! (I got Killer Instinct for me ).

She wanted me to open one present already - it was a scarf. I can't wear it since it's summer, but I think its really sweet that she actually learned how to knit, just to make me a present. Must have taken her hours, I really appreciate that.

My mother will be getting one of those water trickling things, you know, like you sit it on the table, and water comes out of the bamboo or something!

Merry Christmas!!!

Funny Bugga
Dec 24, 2003, 04:42 AM

Just kickin' back for now, will be watching good ol' Ray on Carols by Candlelight later on.

For now though, I'm just chillin.

Let's see the scarf hey?

Edit: Included pic of Ray
( Last edited by Funny Bugga; Dec 24, 2003 at 05:08 AM. )

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2003, 05:15 AM

We already did our Christmas. A few days early.

My gifts for others:

Sister--A coupon book good for 20 hours of babysitting. 3 kids. One 8 and a set of twins, 2.5 years old.

Brother in law--A Warcraft 2 CD that was supposed to be hybrid. But was Windows only. I use a Mac, he uses a PC.

8 year old-- Some old blink 182 CD's I Don't listen to anymore.

Twins-- Blankets I made from old robes I have owned in the past.

Mother-- Photos from the last ten years of my life. She has been in jail for the last ten years, so this works. She got out in September. First Christmas free.

Total cost: 0

I got a pair of gloves and a set of bike lights. And a space heater, and 75$ in food cards from school. Plus lots of socks and undies..

It was actually good year.
This is the crap I need. If I want a new iPod I can buy that myself.

Not white trash!! The family just doesn't buy into the consumer aspect of Spendmas..

Hannah W
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2003, 07:44 AM

Well I am going to bed now, I'm a little tired. I don't think I wil be here in the morning, as I will be spending time with family. Have a happy and holy Christmas everyone!

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2003, 08:07 AM

Merry Christmas. I'm gonna have to give in an enjoy it otherwise my girlfriend will kill me.

The best thing for me: A rest from work and a chance to spend more time with my little girl. Just a shame that she will be far more interested in seeing her grandad and that, that she hasn't seen in awhile - Doh!

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Dec 24, 2003, 08:08 AM

Thanks Purple, Merry Christmas to every one else too

i got from my Girlfriend - Nintendo Game Cube and stuff, with carry case

I got my girlfriend - A nokia colour fone on pre-paid

I don't know what i got from dad, but i got him some "Carry On" movies and "In the Name of the Father" DVD

Sorry i don't have dig. camera, so i can't take a picture

- ZOoM ZoOM

Edit: Purple, Did you get your house painted?

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

benign
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Hannah W:
Well I am going to bed now, I'm a little tired. I don't think I wil be here in the morning, as I will be spending time with family. Have a happy and holy Christmas everyone!

Pagan Christmas.

Simple Empire...

bygimis
Dec 24, 2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Wishing all the members of MacNN a very happy and safe Christmas! Look after yourselves and your families, and have a wonderful day!

Now everyone post photos of how they are experiencing Christmas.
Woh - Major Time Slip feeling. Its XMas Eve here in the U of K and seeing everyone talking about it being XMas is weird.

However this time tomorrow when your all in boxing day, it'll still be XMas for me!
Nobody made a greater mistake than
he who did nothing because he could only
do a little. Edmund Burke

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2003, 09:53 AM

Yo! Merry Christmas all. And for those of you that are alone, don't worry too much about it. I've had numerous Christmases alone and one can treat oneself and have a pleasant time in spite of that.
weird wabbit

jcarr
Senior User
Dec 24, 2003, 12:34 PM

Here's wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, a Happy Haunakah, a Kwazy Kwanza, and a Tip-top Tet!
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2003, 12:52 PM

She wanted me to open one present already - it was a scarf. I can't wear it since it's summer...
Wow ... I can't imagine Christmas in the middle of summer. Freaky.

Merry Christmas everybody

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 02:32 PM

So in the Land of Oz do you celebrate Christmas on the 24th or the 25th?

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2003, 03:16 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!

Purple Giant- My mum once knitted my grandma a cardigan. It took her 5 years (seriously), and when it was finished it was huge, it looked like some sort of jedi cape.

Anyway, I'm going drinking now. God bless us one and all!
tin pot, garden shed

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2003, 03:18 PM

Happy Christmas!

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Funny Bugga:
Let's see the scarf hey?
Okay no-one laugh!!!

What did you all get for Christmas?

xenu
Senior User
Dec 24, 2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Funny Bugga:
Just kickin' back for now, will be watching good ol' Ray on Carols by Candlelight later on.
If there are two things guaranteed to ruin an evenings tv it is Ray Martin and christmas carols. At least it wasn't that total prat Eddie.

I tried to watch it, but had to turn off after Sophie Monks emotionless performance. I can only assume the orchestra had better places to be.

Even the port didn't help. Perhaps I didn't drink enough.

Looking forward to catching up with the family, because for us christmas has no significance beyond a family gathering day. That is special enough.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Funny Bugga
Dec 24, 2003, 04:44 PM

Okay no-one laugh!!!
Baaaa ha ha ha

I got a DVD player from my girlfriend (yes, I'm behind the times and don't have one yet) and some jox from a few rellies, gift vouchers, and a singing Christmas Cup! (when you pick it up, it plays Christmas Carols, it stops when you put it down. Scared the **** outta me the first few times I drank my coffee)

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2003, 04:52 PM

I got a sweater, shirt, socks and earrings, and a promise for a very nice dress-up evening out from the boyfriend last night, since he had to go to Pennsylvania for Christmas today. I gave him a new coat & scarf, a Simpsons trivia calendar, cologne, and a Kermit (the frog) Magic Eight Ball.

I'm giving my mom a very large rabbit dressed as an ice skater complete with purple sunglasses. It says 'I love you' when you press it's hand. She's giving me a new 12" PB. Can't wait!

Tonight is the big Christmas Eve party for the family. Tomorrow is opening gifts and being lazy for as long as humanly possible.

Merry Merry Christmas!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by voyageur:
So in the Land of Oz do you celebrate Christmas on the 24th or the 25th?
AFAIK all English speaking countries celebrate on the 25th. We did in SA and Oz does as well. I think it's a northern European thing to celebrate on the night of the 24th.
weird wabbit

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2003, 05:16 PM

Okay no-one laugh!!!

I definitely not laugh PurpleGiant:. That is a nice looking scarf.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Zoom_zoom:
Purple, Did you get your house painted?
Sure did, that's quite observant of you zoom zoom (well, observant for a mere Queenslander!)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2003, 05:30 PM

Spent the day working (preparing a damn musical show I'm playing from the 26th-31th), had an hour's sit-down with the girlfriend and a glass of wine, and now it's back to work.

Will be spending all day tomorrow at the keyboard as well - I feel terribly unprepared!

-s*

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 07:02 PM

Okay no-one laugh!!!

Ha Ha HA! Seriously, though, red is a very nice color for you.
New nick: theRedGiant?

Theolein--thanks for the info.

Christmas hasn't arrived here yet...what I would like most for Xmas: more time to read books and play outside!

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Will be spending all day tomorrow at the keyboard as well - I feel terribly unprepared!
Unprepared? you've been working on that thing all week! Don't forget-It's Christmas 2moro!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2003, 09:41 PM

Happy Festivus, one and all!
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Unprepared? you've been working on that thing all week! Don't forget-It's Christmas 2moro!
It was Christmas today, here, and not that much celebration.

And I haven't been working at it as diligently as I should have - I'm filling in as a substitute for 20 pieces, ranging from Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" via some light classical and operetta to chanson and stuff like "Lady Marmalade" and "It's Raining Men". The show is about 100 minutes long, and only three musicians: the concert master (at the grand piano), a drummer, and me. I'm playing the sampler, which means playing *everything* else: horns, strings, guitars, additional percussion, flutes, AND additional keyboards. And bass throughout (which is a bitch, since I've a rather lazy left hand).

All arranged in sequence across a single keyboard, partly with chords assigned to single notes, with an IBM Thinkpad reading along with every note I play, waiting for certain trigger note-sequences or chords (marked on the sheet music) to switch patches as I play. I'll be playing the James Bond theme (we do a medley), and a certain note sequence at the end will have the computer switch patches so that on the repeat, I'll play the same keys, but the line will be doubled with a full horn section doing harmonies.

Occasionally, different notes will play the same pitch, which goes against twenty-four years of musical experience and conditioning, not to mention what happens if I miss the trigger chords and the panic that ensues until I've hit the footswitch that will advance to the next patch.

Sound complicated? Stressful?

Tell me about it.

The guy I'm subbing for is a software engineer at Emagic who wrote the software running on the laptop himself, though, and he's a ****ing genius.

Ah well, back to "It's Raining Men"...

-s*

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2003, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by benign:
creepy.

oh, and merry xmas to all!

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 12:21 AM

Hallelujah it's raining men!

Christmas day here, great weather - having a barbie tonight. Had a more traditional roast turkey for lunch with the fam (my mum and sis. Here's us at lunch:

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2003, 06:59 AM

It was Christmas today, here, and not that much celebration.

And I haven't been working at it as diligently as I should have - I'm filling in as a substitute for 20 pieces, ranging from Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" via some light classical and operetta to chanson and stuff like "Lady Marmalade" and "It's Raining Men". The show is about 100 minutes long, and only three musicians: the concert master (at the grand piano), a drummer, and me. I'm playing the sampler, which means playing *everything* else: horns, strings, guitars, additional percussion, flutes, AND additional keyboards. And bass throughout (which is a bitch, since I've a rather lazy left hand).

All arranged in sequence across a single keyboard, partly with chords assigned to single notes, with an IBM Thinkpad reading along with every note I play, waiting for certain trigger note-sequences or chords (marked on the sheet music) to switch patches as I play. I'll be playing the James Bond theme (we do a medley), and a certain note sequence at the end will have the computer switch patches so that on the repeat, I'll play the same keys, but the line will be doubled with a full horn section doing harmonies.

Occasionally, different notes will play the same pitch, which goes against twenty-four years of musical experience and conditioning, not to mention what happens if I miss the trigger chords and the panic that ensues until I've hit the footswitch that will advance to the next patch.

Sound complicated? Stressful?

Tell me about it.

The guy I'm subbing for is a software engineer at Emagic who wrote the software running on the laptop himself, though, and he's a ****ing genius.

-s*
Well! uh.....I hope it goes (went?) well!
They'll be plenty of marshmallows and cola left for you from that other thread

Oh, great pic PurpleGiant!

Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 07:25 AM

Is boxing day an international thing? Or is it just among the British and it's colonies (Canada, Australia..) Do Americans do this thing?

Merry Christmas everyone.

Tim

disectamac
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by 11011001:
Is boxing day an international thing? Or is it just among the British and it's colonies (Canada, Australia..) Do Americans do this thing?

Merry Christmas everyone.

Tim

Boxing day? neva hoid of it

Scifience
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 11:13 AM

I got a $20 iTunes gift certificate, Dance Dance Revolution Untramix for Xbox, a big thick book , and an Xbox Live subscription.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Scifience:
I got a $20 iTunes gift certificate, Dance Dance Revolution Untramix for Xbox, a big thick book , and an Xbox Live subscription.

w00T! got like FIVE iTunes certs, Canon Powershot A70, SOCOM2, Bluetooth Keyboard, new PS2 headset, some fish tank stuff, and other goodies! merry christmas to you all!

Back-to-Mac
Dec 25, 2003, 11:35 AM

Seasons Greetings to you all !

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2003, 11:52 AM

Merry Christmas to one and all!

I get the same gift every year, and I never tire of it; time with my family! This will be my grandson's second Christmas, so this is extra special!

I have all the material stuff I want; it's the family and friends that are important.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2003, 12:33 PM

Merry Christmas to all on MacNN!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Hannah W
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by disectamac:
Boxing day? neva hoid of it
Really?? It's boxing day here today, another public holiday, I like it!

I'm so happy to hear that everyone is having a happy and fulfilling Christmas! Since my Christmas is already over, please keep us up to date with what you people in the rest of the world are up to at the moment!

(I bet a lot of you probably couldn't have Christmas lunch/dinner outside!)

oh and brapper - that picture is a little bit scary! Is that supposed to be me?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 25, 2003, 07:00 PM

Hope you are all having a great christmas. Can't post any pics of how mines going, as I'm at work and cameras aren't allowed. Peace and goodwill to all.
Nemo me impune lacesset

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 10:57 PM

^If you have to be at work, join us at our virtual table, then:

And our tree:

rkolsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2003, 07:23 PM

a bit late

I got a laser printer Samsung 1710 for $100 after rebates, ER DVD Set, Labels, Paper, 2 Shrits O'neil and Hurley, desktop air hockey, a few other things from my parents $150 check from Aunt and Uncle $ 50 best buy gift certificle from cousins $15 from my aunts sister $50 from other aunt and uncle $100 from grandparents $80 from my nana $30 & $25 best buy credits from neighbors $25 officedepot credit from parents $50 circuit city gift card from my other NEW AUNT (2 and Uncle (51) recently married
Hello Everyone I am Back

Forum Links
Forum Rules