Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 03:16 PM

Since Tiger is officially shipping and people have received it I thought it would be a good time for this. Tiger is buggy compared to 10.3.9. Very buggy. Hopefully this thread will help people decide on if to instal it or not or wait for an update.

THIS IS NOT A 3RD PARTY APP BUGLIST. Just Stuff that comes with Tiger.

Here is what I have found:

Finder:
Icon spacing is odd. Before if I had some icons on my desktop set to sort by name all was fine. With tiger some icons are actually placed at the very bottom right UNDER the dock.

"New smart folder" is not in the contextual menu even though "New Burn folder" is.

Preview:
In all other versions if I opened up a bunch of images in preview (so it shows them in a drawer) I could then move the original files to a different location in the finder. If I do this in Tiger Preview closes the window and all the images have to be re-opened in the new location.

Preview also used to let me take an image from the drawer and drag it to another folder (say on the desktop) or the desktop itself where it would make a copy of it. Now it is hit or miss. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't turning the cursor into a "no smoking sign" thing. Permissions are all correct. Also if you drag a thumbnail from the drawer to some parts of the screen it deletes the thumbnail from the drawer in a POOF but doesn't delete the file itself. Strange.

Safari RSS:
Smooth scrolling doesn't work in a RSS summary page.

Automator:
Very buggy, sometimes it does what I tell it to and sometimes it doesn't. Can't nail down why.

Dashboard:
The widgets don't update in the background so when you call it up there is a bit of a delay before the weather is updates (3 seconds or so). It also doesn't give you an indication that it is downloading new content. On older computers it takes even longer.

Stickies Widget:
No undo

Dictionary:
Can't copy any of the results

Yellow pages:
Only works for the US

Mail:
My junk mail was being flagged so inaccurately I had to reset a year of training.

That is all I have found for now.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2005, 03:46 PM

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2005, 03:50 PM

screenshots are now .png. droppin' the .png into ichat crashes ichat...
i got one kernel panik and one deep freeze. third clean reinstall. panther and all the older updates never had this much problems :-(

johnt519
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2005, 03:58 PM

Mail connecting to a mail SMTP server over SSL does not work.. same settings under Panther worked fine. POP over SSL works fine.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2005, 03:59 PM

I posted it in another thread but this one seems appropiate too.

HDs in the Desktop still don't show the correct free space after moving or deleting stuff when �Show Item Info� is selected in View Preferences (Command-J).

Selecting the name of a folder or file to change it takes literally three seconds in my machine until the text becomes highlighted. Much slower than before.

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2005, 04:19 PM

major bug!!!!
man, tiger seems so rushed out...
spotlight:
if you have 2 partitions it seems to oversee one of the partitions. so spotlight don't find stuff one one of two partitions. i can reproduce it on a powerbook and an old g4/800...
i have 3 firewire drives, one contains my userfolder, 2 are full of mp3s. spotlight finds everything here. but on the internal drive nothing can be found :-(
problem here: it seems that spotlight is the only way to find stuff. so, if the indexing don't work there is no way to find something. bad...

Fusion
Senior User
Apr 24, 2005, 04:20 PM

Mail:
If you are typing a new email address in a new window, and you misspell some words, it will underline them all in red as usual. However, if you go back and correct one of the misspelled words by using cntrl+click on the word to get the contextual menu, after changing the word, all the other misspelled words in the mail message loose their red underline, so you have no idea anymore what is misspelled and what is not.

Mail:
After a clean install, open up Mail.app and set up your accounts. Then, go to File>Import and choose Mail for Mac OS X to import from. Locate the folder on your external hard drive where your previous mail messages are and import. This imported all my previous archive email boxes no problem and placed them in a folder titled "Import" in the sidebar. However, if you rename this folder, all the messages disappear. Also, without renaming the folder, all messages disappeared for me randomly after about 4 days.

Powerbooks:
Hot swapping batteries does not seem to work anymore. Shut lid, pull out battery, put new one in, open lid, the powerbook will no be off instead of still asleep. You must now shut down your computer before placing a new battery in. This previously worked in Panther with only 15" and 17" powerbooks, so for 12" owners, nothing has changed. I really hope this is a bug and not a lost feature of the new OS.

Preview:
If you use the cursor to select part of an image, and the proceed to adjust the selection, preview will leave the transparent layer behind that covers the unselected part, creating a lighter image that what you started with.

Finder:
As mentioned by mAxximo, selecting a filename to change its name is very quirky. I am not sure if this is a new feature, because of the many complaints of accidental name changes under previous versions of OS X, but the behavior is very quirky now, not just harder and consistent.

Dashboard:
This is probably more of a cool little quirk than a bug, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. While in dashboard, open up the widget tray at the bottom. Begin to drag a widget from the tray to your dashboard desktop, but before letting go of it with your mouse, press your hot key for dashboard. You will keep holding the widget but dashboard will disappear, allowing you to drop a widget onto your normal desktop, ripple and all. You can only have one widget on the desktop, and as soon as you activate dashboard again, it will pick the widget up off of your desktop and place it back in the dashboard.

Dashboard:
Again, this is not so much of a bug as it is an annoyance. All the widgets do not update until you activate dashboard, creating a delay that is highly against the purpose of dashboard (to always be close and ready when you need it). The currency updated especially does not seem to update when it should and there is no manual way to force it to update.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 24, 2005, 04:59 PM

Is this one true? If you choose to hide and then show file extensions all applications show .app at the end of them.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fusion
Dashboard:
Again, this is not so much of a bug as it is an annoyance. All the widgets do not update until you activate dashboard, creating a delay that is highly against the purpose of dashboard (to always be close and ready when you need it). The currency updated especially does not seem to update when it should and there is no manual way to force it to update.
Ya I mentioned that one also, my iBook took 13 seconds to update the weather.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2005, 05:11 PM

My weather takes about 3 seconds to update.

And contrary to the first post, it DOES show notification when updating. The DEGREE symbol in the large temperature reading blips to show it is getting data, and stops when it has updated.
MBP 1.83

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by hellmachine
major bug!!!!
man, tiger seems so rushed out...
spotlight:
if you have 2 partitions it seems to oversee one of the partitions. so spotlight don't find stuff one one of two partitions. i can reproduce it on a powerbook and an old g4/800...
i have 3 firewire drives, one contains my userfolder, 2 are full of mp3s. spotlight finds everything here. but on the internal drive nothing can be found :-(
problem here: it seems that spotlight is the only way to find stuff. so, if the indexing don't work there is no way to find something. bad...
I can confirm this one too. It sees my Tiger partition only. You said rushed out?
Most annoyingly, Spotlight will turn all my normal windows to metal! Arrrggghhhhh.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mhuie
My weather takes about 3 seconds to update.

And contrary to the first post, it DOES show notification when updating. The DEGREE symbol in the large temperature reading blips to show it is getting data, and stops when it has updated.
OK so it does, but it took my 3 days to even see that as it is so subtle.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2005, 06:14 PM

Dock:

Automatically hiding and showing dock isn't working for me. It hides the dock but I can't bring it up by moving the mouse to the edge for some reason.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
I can confirm this one too. It sees my Tiger partition only. You said rushed out?
Most annoyingly, Spotlight will turn all my normal windows to metal! Arrrggghhhhh.
Is this true? You can't search with spotlight on more than one partition? That just completely sucks. Does anyone know if this is the planned aspect or just a bug? Arg.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2005, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by sweatervest
Is this true? You can't search with spotlight on more than one partition? That just completely sucks. Does anyone know if this is the planned aspect or just a bug? Arg.
No, it is not true. Yes, you can search on multiple partitions, and yes, it works fine for me. No, I don't know what's the matter with the other posters' configs.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Apr 24, 2005, 10:12 PM

Spotlight can find files across two partitions for me.

The results were pretty amazing. I type the name of an artists whose CD I had recently purchased online.

Spotlight first found the mail items regarding the purchase (within a second) and then within three seconds it found all the songs within my itunes library which reside on a separate partition.

Can't ask for anything better than that for a brand new feature.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

mrgaskell
Senior User
Apr 24, 2005, 11:14 PM

Tiger is currently breaking ADC->DVI on my Cube with an ATI Radeon AGP. So I have to run it with VGA and it looks like ####. It it actually pretty speedy on this old 450mhz G4!! I am impressed.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 11:17 PM

Weather widget shows weather for Phoenix, NY by default for people in Phoenix, AZ--which is rather amusing considering the difference
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 12:46 AM

Ok I found another.

MAIL:

Create a new email, then click the CC or BCC area, click on the address book, when clicking on names you want in the CC or BCC area they will always go to the TO area. 10.3 didn't do this.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Ramza
Apr 25, 2005, 01:21 AM

Jeeeeez, Tiger sounds like a buggy POS. I am saddened.
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ramza
Jeeeeez, Tiger sounds like a buggy POS. I am saddened.

it's not crashy buggy, but it's buggy allright.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mrgaskell
Senior User
Apr 25, 2005, 01:45 AM

Swapped in a new VGA cable, looks fine now, but no ADC->DVI love from my video card.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

siMac
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 02:26 AM

Tiger refuses to automatically connect to my wireless network after sleep/restart - I have to manually connect each time.

Otherwise not too bad - RSS screensaver is very cool...
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Dashboard:
The widgets don't update in the background so when you call it up there is a bit of a delay before the weather is updates (3 seconds or so). It also doesn't give you an indication that it is downloading new content. On older computers it takes even longer.

Yellow pages:
Only works for the US
Dashboard - thats a little gutting... as i thought the idea was so as you pressed into dashboard everything was upto date - IE... if they make a mail (gmail) notifier it will never update unless you go into dashboard. HOWEVER if you have a fast internet conection you probably wont even notice that its getting the info as it will be so fast

Yellow pages - ... Hopefully someone will make an English Version or even apple themselves with provide one for their UK customers.
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 03:55 AM

As far as I know (been a while since I checked), going dormant in the background is optional for dashboard widgets.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 04:05 AM

.Mac syncing is very buggy. Created a bunch of smart mailboxes in mail, only some of them synced to other computers, can't figure out why at all! Also some bookmarks won't sync to .mac bookmarks!

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Yellow pages:
Only works for the US.
That's not a bug and shouldn't be on your list.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 04:13 AM

Also, when downloading a file this afternoon at about 215K/sec (intranet) Safari was taking up 43% of the processor, not doing anything else, and it was grinding the system to an unuseable speed. Even with the app hidden it was still taking up the same amount.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 04:32 AM

man, it really start to suck!!!!!
i can't calibrate my 2 monitors! i get some generic error message. this is sick. from now on we have to buy only os x supported monitors???? tiger is flooded with things that used to work, but now somebody at apple had the feeling it shouldn't anymore. f**ck. btw, these are two mitsubishis, a diamond plus and a diamond scan, no cheap sh*t...

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 04:45 AM

man, it really start to suck!!!!!
i can't calibrate my 2 monitors! i get some generic error message. this is sick. from now on we have to buy only os x supported monitors???? tiger is flooded with things that used to work, but now somebody at apple had the feeling it shouldn't anymore. f**ck. btw, these are two mitsubishis, a diamond plus and a diamond scan, no cheap sh*t...
Yes, they removed the support deliberately
JLL

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
That's not a bug and shouldn't be on your list.
It's a bug if you live anywhere other than in the USA. There's nothing to indicate that it's US-only Yellow Pages, so there's no reason why we shouldn't expect it to work.

Other things I've noticed: switching between applications, or between users is very slow. Tiger told me that Garageband had crashed, and offered to restart it - but it hadn't crashed at all, and we perfectly useable.

CPU usage is up, inexplicably. Thing just feel slower. Maybe it's because I upgraded my old system - but an archive or an erase install are just not options for me. I did an erase install on my laptop, and it's gone from feeling very slow to feeling fast.

iChat still unable to get the video from my iSight on my G5. Works fine right upuntil you actually try and start a conference, then cuts out with an error.

badtz
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 05:15 AM

Mail
the "to, cc, bcc, subject" fields will disppear when composing a mail message sometimes.

Dashboard
the space next to the scroll bars will sometimes render improperly, and you're able to see the desktop

iTunes Widget
can anyone get this to work properly? It keeps freezing, and/or launching iTunes automatically when it's not open.

Annoyances
the weather widget should show the local time of the location too.
and the calendar widget should show your items inside of iCal
the widgets will slightly move locations when you activate dashboarda [sometimes this happens]
( Last edited by badtz; Apr 25, 2005 at 05:37 AM. )

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
It's a bug if you live anywhere other than in the USA. There's nothing to indicate that it's US-only Yellow Pages, so there's no reason why we shouldn't expect it to work.

Other things I've noticed: switching between applications, or between users is very slow. Tiger told me that Garageband had crashed, and offered to restart it - but it hadn't crashed at all, and we perfectly useable.

CPU usage is up, inexplicably. Thing just feel slower. Maybe it's because I upgraded my old system - but an archive or an erase install are just not options for me. I did an erase install on my laptop, and it's gone from feeling very slow to feeling fast.

iChat still unable to get the video from my iSight on my G5. Works fine right upuntil you actually try and start a conference, then cuts out with an error.
Your in the UK and you have tiger :o - how??
I want mine

Agree about the Yell thing... im guessing the widget could be edited to look at a different yell site??

Also with weather they may be a way to make it look at a uk weather site so you can get local weather and not weather for somewhere 30miles away.
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

alansoon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 05:32 AM

Safari doesn't seem to remember its window position on my Powerbook.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 05:43 AM

screenshots are now .png. droppin' the .png into ichat crashes ichat...
i got one kernel panik and one deep freeze. third clean reinstall. panther and all the older updates never had this much problems :-(

I spent all day dropping screenshots into iChat with no problems on 10.4 and an AlBook 1GHz...

Only problem was that I couldn't annotate them in Preview - until I saved them as PDFs.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 05:56 AM

Spotlight:
I have indexed 2 partitions. On the external HD partition, it will only find those files which I have opened since installing Tiger. The file (searched by name) would not show at first. And then would show up after I double click that file separately. Subsequent searches would then find the file.

As a previous poster said, Spotlight is the only built in way to find files now, unreliable "finding by names" is worrying.

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by cc_foo
Spotlight:
I have indexed 2 partitions. On the external HD partition, it will only find those files which I have opened since installing Tiger. The file (searched by name) would not show at first. And then would show up after I double click that file separately. Subsequent searches would then find the file.

As a previous poster said, Spotlight is the only built in way to find files now, unreliable "finding by names" is worrying.
here is another depressing workaround:
just copy all data from the unseen partition to another drive.
then copy back. now tiger will idex it :-(

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 06:34 AM

hmmmm

Open with and getting info on an excel document doesn't work for me

Update:
Seems like opening the Office 2004 folder doesn't work either. Both issues crash the Finder
( Last edited by von Wrangell; Apr 25, 2005 at 07:03 AM. )

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 06:48 AM

Still not a bug. It works as intended, and it's not a technical error.
JLL

redoid
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 07:30 AM

I had couple of freezes because i cas trying to use some 3rd party apps ntot updated to Tiger yet (Candybar) but so far, no problem at all here.

New Mail owns, overall faster, way to go apple.
its a fact that im dope.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 08:32 AM

I see the 'icons under the dock' bug as well. Annoying, but likely an easy fix. The one issue I'm having that really annoys me is the fact that all QT decoders perform worse with the new QT player. But when I use the old QT player (6.5.2 still works), the decoders perform about the same, though I think a little bit worse as well. I don't if this is a QT issue or a decoder issue, but either way, it's damn annoying. Also, the carbon QT player now doesn't override the Energy Saver preferences when using 3ivx like it used to. I mean, when using QT's MPEG-1 decoder it would obey the settings, but when using 3ivx for Xvid content, it didn't, which was good. But now it always obeys it, so I have to turn off Energy Saver if I want to watch something for more than 5 mintues.

Other than these issues, and the occasional third party app breakage, Tiger is a great release so far.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 08:32 AM

Tiger told me that Garageband had crashed, and offered to restart it - but it hadn't crashed at all, and we perfectly useable.
That may be a Garage Band bug. I've had it happen a couple of times in 10.3. I think it happenned once when I tried to drag an aiff file into the GB window while it was playing.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

betasp
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by siMac
Tiger refuses to automatically connect to my wireless network after sleep/restart - I have to manually connect each time.

Otherwise not too bad - RSS screensaver is very cool...
Funny, Tiger fixed this for me. Mine wouldn't work with Panther.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 08:36 AM

I use an old Logitech wireless external keyboard. There is Macintosh Logitech software, but I've never used that. I normally use uControl.

uControl hasn't been updated to work with Tiger, but Tiger has built in swapping of the command and option keys (brilliant!)

However, every time after startup, a dialog box comes up to say that the keyboard is unidentifiable, and cannot be used. And then the instructions say to press this key or that. Ultimately, it detects that it is a normal US keyboard.

This dialog box comes on after each (rare) startup, but can be dismissed just by logging in. The keyboard continues to work perfectly. I consider this dialog box to be a bug.

betasp
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2005, 08:42 AM

The widget to desktop thing works well for the itunes Widget. Just hold onto the widget from the dashboard screen and then press your Dashboard key (F12) and the widget will drop to the desktop. You can only do one, but with itunes, it rocks.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 25, 2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mrgaskell
Tiger is currently breaking ADC->DVI on my Cube with an ATI Radeon AGP. So I have to run it with VGA and it looks like ####. It it actually pretty speedy on this old 450mhz G4!! I am impressed.
Well, that would suck. What monitor?

egg
Apr 25, 2005, 09:10 AM

Dock: right click on icon, and then don't select anything - move mouse away - and the icon stays magnified. very very bad!

Clock: the analog clock is a bit mis-aligned. The arms are too far right.

Finder: sometimes (I cannot describe the situation yet), new finder windows will load - off screen - the buttons etc are not reachable - must drag the window back down into the desktop area.

mikelauder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by egg
Dock: right click on icon, and then don't select anything - move mouse away - and the icon stays magnified. very very bad!
That's how it works in Panther. Think how screwed up it would be if that didn't happen: you'd just have a menu hanging in mid-air as you moused over the rest of the dock.

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by mikelauder
That's how it works in Panther. Think how screwed up it would be if that didn't happen: you'd just have a menu hanging in mid-air as you moused over the rest of the dock.
I think he means that when you click outside the menu and the dock the dock stays shown and the icon stays magnified. In panther the dock would hide itself (if hiding was turned on), not so in Tiger; it just sits there until you move your mouse around in it again.

Xcode 2 bug: can't set the code completion menu shortcut. Now it's set at escape, but I'd like to set it to ctrl-space.

Platinum interface: if you zoom in real tight in the top window corners of the those windows that have the titlebar and the toolbar merged (like System Preferences) you'll notice ... well, it just looks weird. The shadow of the corner just stops instead of blending and it just looks wrong. Most people don't notice it without zooming in, but I do.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 25, 2005, 10:14 AM

So, is this the buggiest release ever?

Well... It's probably not gonna top 10.1 in this category. (I'm not counting 10.0.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules