Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Software update 1.0.1 NOW!

iPhone Software update 1.0.1 NOW!
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 08:37 PM

The software update screen only says:
"Bug fixes. This version of the software includes bug fixes and supersedes all previous version"

There are some support links after this text. The download is 7.1 MB.

Screen shows "software update" while it's updating, then it resets with an apple screen and a progress bar.

My update bar has paused. Please hold....It looks like it just took a minute. It's now verifying...Went and ate dinner and came back....still verifying...please hold
( Last edited by scaught; Jul 31, 2007 at 09:00 PM. )

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 09:14 PM

Mine is at "Updating iPhone firmware..."

Yay!

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 09:21 PM

Still froze up at 9:21 PM EST. Not good. I've quit every other app and it's still locked up. I think I'm going to unplug the bastard.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 09:24 PM

Mine finished fine. Hung up on the firmware part, but total time was about 4 minutes.

I haven't played with it yet, as I'm eating dinner and my hands are all funky. Gizmodo says it fixes the big security bug in Safari, as well as some other bugs. They're still finding stuff out.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 09:24 PM

Upon unplugging, itunes quits and I get a message "The iphone "<my iphones name>" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (0xE8000004). "

Iphone still stuck with incomplete progress bar...About to reset that too.

Reset went OK. Version in "about" is up to date. iTunes shows proper version and says software is up to date.

That sucked.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 09:29 PM

Here's the link for the Gizmodo page. They're updating it periodically as they find out new stuff.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 09:31 PM

Just updated and installed, took about 5 minutes.

Weird that Apple doesn't say anything besides "bug fixes"...

Edit: One thing I noticed it does, is that my email is FINALLY working!!! I had all of those problems from the "email blues" thread (could receive email, but sending wouldn't work), but without even doing anything it now sends perfectly! That's the seamless quality I expect, as the address works fine in mail. Very excited...
( Last edited by Nodnarb; Jul 31, 2007 at 09:38 PM. )

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 09:47 PM

Even though it's that mail works now, the main thing I was hoping for in the first update was landscape SMS...I don't get why it can't be rotated to work that way, typing would be so much easier (even though the other isn't too bad, it should just be an option)

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 09:50 PM

From its small size and version number, I'd venture a guess that this is almost exclusively a security update. 2007-007 was just released for OS X, along with a point release for safari 3 beta, which probably has many of the same patches as the iPhone update in it

I wonder how many people were pulled from their projects to review patches and QA builds because of the high profile security vulnerabilities on the iPhone. Good on them for getting it out before the endof the month, though.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 31, 2007, 09:58 PM

Same here...smooth as silk.

-Q-
Jul 31, 2007, 10:02 PM

No troubles with the update so far. Here's the direct link to the patch notes:

About the security content of iPhone v1.0.1 Update

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 10:07 PM

I just want to see if they locked out the hackers.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 10:12 PM

It was expected they would release early this week; there's a security exploit scheduled to be released August 2nd.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 10:16 PM

Well my VPN now works and I can get my Exchange email for work. Can't figure out if that's good or not.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 10:47 PM

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone. Am I correct that only mail syncs with Exchange and it's through IMAP? In other words, there isn't a full Exchange support yet.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by KeilwerthSX90R View Post
I'm thinking about getting an iPhone. Am I correct that only mail syncs with Exchange and it's through IMAP? In other words, there isn't a full Exchange support yet.
You would be correct in that understanding, sir. At least for the time being, anyway.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 12:06 AM

It seems, after some testing, that the iPod app no longer crashes while one is using Safari. This was probably the only real annoyance I had, as far as bugs go on the iPhone. Anyone else tested this?

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2007, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I just want to see if they locked out the hackers.
Nope. At least iFuntastic works fine after update and I've got my ringtones back. It was a little more inconvenient for hacked iPhones as the majority (though apparently not all) had to do a full restore first.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2007, 01:07 AM

took me about 5 mins

i read the update only fixes the problem with safari, too bad because my phone has been turning off by itself and freezes a lot too, can I bring it back to the apple store for an exchange?

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2007, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
It seems, after some testing, that the iPod app no longer crashes while one is using Safari. This was probably the only real annoyance I had, as far as bugs go on the iPhone. Anyone else tested this?
This was also my main iPhone annoyance...
I am testing it as I type and so far I'm very impressed, not a single crash yet!

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2007, 09:52 AM

Updated mine very quickly, was plugged in already right when the update came so I got it fast.
Just now though am looking through the updates, and one thing I see changed is the calendar icon now displays the actual day & date. No way to prove if this continues or not as I did not check to see if it said 30th last night or tuesday, but now it says Wed & 1st.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Well my VPN now works and I can get my Exchange email for work. Can't figure out if that's good or not.
Can you spell out exactly how you are doing this?

What are all the steps required?

Thanks!

Again I'm not sure this is a good thing either.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post

Thanks!

Since they're specific to my company's server, nothing I did could really help you. Just set up the VPN (in Settings > General > Network), and then set up your mail based on the settings for your company. It didn't work before but since the update it's working fine now.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post

Thanks!

I would guess that it's just set up with IMAP access limited to his company's intranet. Ask your IT department if you want to set it up - hopefully they'll help you after they're done drooling over your phone.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 12:07 PM

My IT department wont support my iPhone. Jealous bastards.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 12:43 PM

Something I just noticed, while watching a video the on-screen controls are staying on the screen until I tap the screen to make them go away. It used to automatically go away after a few seconds. I wonder if this is intended or if its a bug from the update.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2007, 01:07 PM

One interface change I have noticed is that when calling numbers by tapping on a phone number embedded in text (such as in an email or on a web page) you now get a confirmation dialog prior to the phone dialing the number. Previously the phone would dial as soon as you tapped the number.

I actually prefer it the old way as the new way involves more taps. Before if I accidentally dialed I had to hit "End Call" (1 tap), whereas now I have to hit "Cancel" (1 tap). But to actually make a call the old way I tapped the number and it called (1 tap) whereas now I have to tap the number and then tap "Call" in the confirmation dialog (2 taps).
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Something I just noticed, while watching a video the on-screen controls are staying on the screen until I tap the screen to make them go away. It used to automatically go away after a few seconds. I wonder if this is intended or if its a bug from the update.
Hmm, I the video I'm now watching, the controls are acting normally. Not sure what was happening there.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 1, 2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Homer1946 View Post
One interface change I have noticed is that when calling numbers by tapping on a phone number embedded in text (such as in an email or on a web page) you now get a confirmation dialog prior to the phone dialing the number. Previously the phone would dial as soon as you tapped the number.
One more tap...a minor inconvenience perhaps, but an improvement methinks, and I'll explain why.

I've noticed that in some e-mail messages that have numbers (but not necessarily phone numbers--parts numbers for example) sometimes these numbers and some surrounding text are interpreted as phone numbers if the text is formatted just right; I think it might be a link to a web page, but the iPhone interprets the sequence as a phone number. I've accidentally dialed a few numbers this way.

I think confirming that you want to dial the phone when you might have expected a web page to be a good thing.

-Q-
Aug 1, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
One more tap...a minor inconvenience perhaps, but an improvement methinks, and I'll explain why.
I prefer this new behavior myself, but it would be nice to have it as an option to select one behavior over the other somewhere on the phone or in iTunes.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I prefer this new behavior myself, but it would be nice to have it as an option to select one behavior over the other somewhere on the phone or in iTunes.
There were some security issues with the automatic dialing, which is likely why they enabled this "feature."

Seems like a good idea to me.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2007, 03:31 PM

There were some security issues with the automatic dialing, which is likely why they enabled this "feature."

Seems like a good idea to me.
For my use patterns, if I am interacting with an email, or a web page, then I am looking at the display. If I accidently dial (instead of scrolling or hitting another link) then it is immediately obvious and I hit "End Call". That is why is just adds one tap for me. I never accidently make calls from email or web pages that I am not immediately aware of, and it is still one tap to cancel it then or now.

I regular email myself lists of phone numbers I need to call in a day which is why I guess this sticks out to me. It is not a big deal of course, just my person opinion on this interface change.

Now, as far as making other calls that I don't catch (such as from the Favorites when I am holstering the phone), that happens all the time.

It seems generally a good idea to lock the iPhone when you are not using it (manually locking it rather than waiting for it to automatically lock).
-R

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
one thing I see changed is the calendar icon now displays the actual day & date. No way to prove if this continues or not as I did not check to see if it said 30th last night or tuesday, but now it says Wed & 1st.
Can anyone confirm this?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Homer1946 View Post
For my use patterns, if I am interacting with an email, or a web page, then I am looking at the display. If I accidently dial (instead of scrolling or hitting another link) then it is immediately obvious and I hit "End Call". That is why is just adds one tap for me. I never accidently make calls from email or web pages that I am not immediately aware of, and it is still one tap to cancel it then or now.

I regular email myself lists of phone numbers I need to call in a day which is why I guess this sticks out to me. It is not a big deal of course, just my person opinion on this interface change.

Now, as far as making other calls that I don't catch (such as from the Favorites when I am holstering the phone), that happens all the time.

It seems generally a good idea to lock the iPhone when you are not using it (manually locking it rather than waiting for it to automatically lock).
That's not the security issue I was talking about. Malicious web pages could disguise links that would really be pay phone numbers. There was some issue about not being able to hang up the calls and racking up outrageous charges, but I don't know if it was ever experienced outside of a lab...

Can anyone confirm this?
Mine does say Wednesday the 1st, can't really confirm it changes until tomorrow.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 04:46 PM

It's done that the whole time. At least the number of the day changes everyday, not so sure about the date being up top (that could be new, but yes, it will obviously change to the current day)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2007, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by sweatervest View Post
This was also my main iPhone annoyance...
I am testing it as I type and so far I'm very impressed, not a single crash yet!
Unfortunately, I got a crash after only a few minutes of testing. Maybe it's a little better, but it's not cured. Haven't had Safari itself crash yet, though, so fingers crossed. It might just be a side-effect of having restarted the iPhone for the update though.

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
Just now though am looking through the updates, and one thing I see changed is the calendar icon now displays the actual day & date. No way to prove if this continues or not as I did not check to see if it said 30th last night or tuesday, but now it says Wed & 1st.
It's always done that.

iPhone's iCal icon displays correct date, Mac OS X's still doesn't - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

By the way, about the confirmation for dialing a number, are you guys sure that it hasn't always done that? I have a clear memory of clicking an IP address in safari (which was interpreted as a phone number) and having it ask me if I wanted to call.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 10:45 AM

Well at least they added BCC.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2007, 10:50 AM

Safari has crashed twice on me in the day since the update, although it does seem somewhat better overall. Again, though, could just be because of the restart.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2007, 10:56 AM

It's also possible that some of the crashing bugs were side-effects of the security related bugs. It's not unheard of.

...Or, simply some, bugs were already fixed in whatever revision of the WebKit source they were working in. Hey, as long as there're no regressions!
( Last edited by Earth Mk. II; Aug 2, 2007 at 11:23 AM. Reason: oh yeah..)
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 12:20 PM

Can anyone confirm this?
Confirmed. It now says "2" and "Thursday". I never noticed this before but it could have been there the whole time.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 12:45 PM

icruise noted above that it did do that before.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2007, 04:03 PM

icruise noted above that it did do that before.
If we are talking about the confirmation before dialing I am quite sure that my phone did not do that before. Like I mentioned I frequently dial from embedded numbers and was surprised the first time the phone prompted for confirmation after the update to 1.01. However note that I have been dialing from numbers embedded in emails, but not generally from web pages. I am pretty sure that the prompt didn't exist before for web pages, but not absolutely positive.
-R

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2007, 04:24 PM

I think he was referring to the date/day display, but I'm interested in the call confirmation issue. I've never dialed a number in an email before, but I did try from a web page. Maybe the behavior was different before depending on where the number was accessed from. Anyone still have an unupdated iPhone to test it out?

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2007, 05:11 PM

I know for a fact that mine always asked if I wanted to dial a number when I clicked on it. . . safari, mail, etc, any of them.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

pockets
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 11:34 PM

This may be total coincidence, but before the update I was having problems with my home wifi network. Right after I got the phone I took a trip and had no trouble at any hotel, or coffee shop, but at home it constantly reverted to Edge. The Apple genius said it might be my router and I bought an Apple Airport Extreme. Did not help. Got a new 2Wire, because that is what AT&T supports. Still reverted to Edge. There was help on the Apple support page that suggested taking off WEP encryption, which made me the local provider for the neighborhood, and making sure the proper code was in the router filter. No good. I was ready to spend more time talking with Apple support, when the update came down the pike. Now there is no problem. No one else has mentioned this, and like I said, it could be a coincidence -- but now I have wifi at home and all is right with the world.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 11:38 PM

Well Safari just crapped out on me for the first time since the update. I had maybe four pages open and was looking at facebook.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Riemann Zeta
Aug 3, 2007, 12:35 PM

Update went without incident. I think that it is a good thing that I ditched Leopard and reformatted to 10.4.10, as Leopard had a number of known bugs related to iTunes support. As for the phone itself, the update did fix the only annoying bug I had--the inaccurate battery meter.
God is just a statistic...

vln2
Aug 3, 2007, 01:02 PM

Same here, my Exchange access did not work before and after update it works without making any changes to settings. Apple had to fix something. It was very timely because at work they were going to make me wear a BlueBerry.
I have access only behind the firewall on WiFi (that’s where IMAP is open) and it covers all the buildings on campus. I have access to all folders and can receive all new mail but I noticed issues sending emails out. Some of them go out fine some don’t.
Do you have any issues sending mail out through IMAP/Exchange? I am curious if I need to fix my settings or it is a general issue.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 01:12 PM

No issues sending at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules