Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Important memory Tweak info!!! [UBERO]

Important memory Tweak info!!! [UBERO]
doggkruse
Feb 26, 2002, 01:58 AM

Hi this is geoff, the creator of the memory tweak (I love taking credit). I noticed in other threads that some of you with obscene amounts of memory are giving ubero upwards of 900mb!!!! Now I know than more is usually better but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. It should be noted then, that I have recently found the java release notes from apple. They tell me that if more than 580 mb is allocated to a java app it may become unstable and crash. This # has been moved up to 980 by the new 1.3.1 update 1 but still, I don't think 900 will help that much more than just 200mb. I also read that the update makes the -server flag functional which is basically the same thing as the memory tweak only a professionally balanced version (this is what the pc users use). to use the -server if you were so kind as to update your java, start ubero like this: java -server -cp Agent.jar ubero.agent.Agent -text. This way you don't have to worry about balancing the memory tweak and you should get just as much if not more of a performance boost. Anyway, I gotta run so if you have any other questions or if you want to read the release notes let me know and i will find them again and post the address.
see ya, lets make MacNN FIRST
Geoff

This is my new signature, your new Team. Join Team MacNN

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2002, 12:10 PM

Ok, so I downloaded the Java update. So what do I use to launch Ubero via terminal?

Old way:
nice +20 nohup java -Xms300m -Xmx300m -XX:NewSize=100m -XX:MaxNewSize=100m -cp Agent.jar ubero.agent.Agent -text >/dev/null &

Do I just remove the memory stuff and it will be just as fast or faster/

Seems too good to be true!

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2002, 12:17 PM

BTW, I did some overnight testing in the beginning of the memory tweak discovery, and posted the results then.

To recap about how much memory to use:

The standard settings of <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier> -Xms300m -Xmx300m -XX:NewSize=100m -XX:MaxNewSize=100m </font>[/code] works the best.

The testing machine was a G4/500 (single processor) with 1.3 GB of RAM. I tried doubling it and reducing it. Reducing led to slower times as expected, and doubling it also created a slowdown, and seemed less efficient. Plus, it cramped the usability of the machine while it was running Ubero.

YMMV!

doggkruse  (op)
Feb 26, 2002, 01:22 PM

If you have the update installed use -server instead of -Xms300m -Xmx300m -XX:NewSize=100m -XX:MaxNewSize=100m and post your results.
Geoff

<wangdoodle>
Feb 26, 2002, 07:10 PM

please help me,

i dont know why i cant get UBERO to run in command line on my windows xp machine

anyone know what i have to do?

i want to squeeze out every bit of juice i can

doggkruse  (op)
Feb 26, 2002, 07:36 PM

this is easy i think as long as it is the same as it is in 2000.
You need to open up a command prompt window (startmenu&gt;applications&gt;accessories&gt;comma ndprompt?) and type the following replacing stuff in quotes with your specifics:
cd "folder where ubero is" (usually /program files/ubero? could be different on xp) then type java -cp Agent.jar ubero.agent.Agent -text. This is all case sensitive by the way. There are different tweaks to get more out of ubero on windows but I wont go into them here as they are detailed on the ubero foums (http://forums.ubero.com)
Geoff

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by doggkruse:
<STRONG>this is easy i think as long as it is the same as it is in 2000.
You need to open up a command prompt window (startmenu&gt;applications&gt;accessories&gt;comma ndprompt?)</STRONG>
I don't know the answer to his question, but I know how to open up a command prompt.

From the "Run" menu, type: command

That's all... then you should be able to follow doggkruse's directions to get Ubero flowin'. (I use Windows in my AP Computer Science class in high school, I would never be caught dead owning one)
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

slipjack
Senior User
Feb 27, 2002, 03:50 AM

Dog... could you repost from the beginning how things stand with the new memory tweak.. I just don't know UNIX well enough to follow the conversation fer diddly.

Thanks.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2002, 09:55 AM

BAD NEWS!

Just got in and looked at the results of -server vs. the memory tweak:

Test machine: G4/800DP running 2 instances of Ubero

Ubero1: Memory tweak @ 300 (std) - 56 units in 5hrs 50 min
Ubero2: -server, no memory tweak - 43 units in 5hrs 50 min

These are units completed since the midnight PST rollover.

Keep the memory tweak running, or add the memory tweak to -server? Something to try to figure out!

doggkruse  (op)
Feb 27, 2002, 12:36 PM

I guess that means the memory tweak is still faster....

The -server option enabled in the update is equivalent to using 128 mb in the memory tweak
Geoff

malson
Senior User
Feb 27, 2002, 01:12 PM

I changed both clients to the -server tweak and my production has dropped a ton. I lost about 35 W/Us per processor on my Dual 800. I'm going to bump it back to my previous memory tweak values.
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 06:23 PM

I'm running a little slower. It's going 105 units a day instead of 110. I'll stick with the -server.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules