Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Ubero - The Mac Advantage?

Ubero - The Mac Advantage?
legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 11:31 AM

Wow, it's really clear that if we are serious about keeping Team MacNN high in the ratings, we'll have to be recruiting pretty heavily.

I've gotten several agents installed and running, and now that we've started a new day and things are even across the board for the day, it's pretty clear that G4's don't have a significant advantage like we did in RC5. Java, the great equalizer, I guess...

Anyway, if you check my stats, I've put in CPU/clockspeed in the agent name so I can keep track of who's working the hardest. I'm a bit disappointed to see that a lowly Celeron 500 can keep pace with with a G4/500; ignore the G4/400 stats for today as I think something on my work machine must have hung and things are being dragged to a halt.

Not sure if it's too much to ask, but it would be interesting to see CPU/clock speeds with other agents on the team.

Cheers.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 02:46 PM

Sounds good. Our team has taken a sudden growth spurt with a major player joining w 13K units, although Scott will be toasting him in a day

Is there an easy way to rename agents w/o creating new ones and causing a huge mess?

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by kkneisley:
<STRONG>
Is there an easy way to rename agents w/o creating new ones and causing a huge mess?</STRONG>
Nevermind. :o

It was easier that expected. For the record, just change the name in the settings and CLICK THE CHECKBOX for each agent you want to rename. If you are running via the terminal, be sure to kill those threads prior to launching your GUI Agents.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2002, 04:58 PM

I've got a dual G4 500 as my main machine called ralph returns on there, and an AMD 1.2 gig machine called b!tch. I'll rename them with there appropriate CPU speeds sometime today.

-matt

legacyb4  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 07:59 PM

I think I worked out a happy solution for my dual machine; run one agent permanently at a fixed, albeit lower, aggression percentage in Java and run the other with a GUI agent so that I can power on and power off as needed so I can grab computing power when necessary.

Now we'll see if what I said about the Celeron holds true.

Cheers.

Originally posted by legacyb4:
<STRONG>Anyway, if you check my stats, I've put in CPU/clockspeed in the agent name so I can keep track of who's working the hardest. I'm a bit disappointed to see that a lowly Celeron 500 can keep pace with with a G4/500; ignore the G4/400 stats for today as I think something on my work machine must have hung and things are being dragged to a halt.
</STRONG>
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 09:45 PM

I'm not disappointed at all in my iMac 500's performance. Then again, I never expected great things from it anyway...

arg... I';m slipping down the Macnn members list as we speak...
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

<mikkyo>
Jan 12, 2002, 09:53 PM

The Ubero client is not using any math that can take advantage of Altivec, and were it, the agent probably wouldn't be compiled to use it.
:-(
Java under OS X is very fast though and macs hold up real well against the majority of machines out there.

Here are some of my daily stats to give you an idea of what peek results can be. These are from a weekend when the machiens weren't used for anything of than Ubero.
All agents were run via the command line text option
&gt;java -cp Agent.jar ubero.agent.Agent -text
The Finder was quit via applescript on most machines to remove further overhead.

iMac Rev A 233Mhz 96Mb RAM Ubero set to use 64Mb no Finder
~45 wu/day
B&W G3 350MHz 256Mb RAM Ubero set to use 128Mb no Finder
~79 wu/day
G4 400MHz 128Mb RAM Ubero set to use 96Mb no Finder
~85 wu/day
G4 450MHz 256Mb RAM Ubero set to use 128Mb no Finder
~90 wu/day
G4 450MHz Dual 256 Mb RAM Ubero set to use 96Mb, 2 Agents, no Finder
~90 wu/day each client ~180 Total
G4 800MHz Dual 1.5Gb RAM Ubero set to use 128Mb, 2 Agents
~137 wu/day each agent, ~272 Total

There are Pentium based machines out there that churn out ~300 wu/day though the average modern Pentiums seem to do around 200.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2002, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by &lt;mikkyo&gt;:
<STRONG>There are Pentium based machines out there that churn out ~300 wu/day though the average modern Pentiums seem to do around 200.</STRONG>
Athlons, those are Athlons.
I guess I could get my 1.53 athlon xp on ubero for a day to show the power
I'll try
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

<mikkyo>
Jan 16, 2002, 07:07 PM

Well with the java memory changes posted on another thread, and my persistance in keeping my Dual 800 up sending WUs in, I have a new record..
472 WUs for one day (including downtime)
I have my two agents running under different names so I can track them and restart each one when it fails to connect, so you wont see any PPC G4 800 DP on the Fastest Agents table. :-(

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2002, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by &lt;mikkyo&gt;:
<STRONG>Well with the java memory changes posted on another thread, and my persistance in keeping my Dual 800 up sending WUs in, I have a new record..
472 WUs for one day (including downtime)
I have my two agents running under different names so I can track them and restart each one when it fails to connect, so you wont see any PPC G4 800 DP on the Fastest Agents table. :-(</STRONG>
2 nights in a row when I was trying to get a grip on the RAM tweak my #1 java thread choked on the port 80 issue. Ugh. Change both agents over to 443 and I am crossing my fingers tonight. [i think i can, i think i can, i think i can]

My best for the same machine, logged out from 5:30 to 8:30 so far is 344, but that was just half-assed. I should have real numbers after this next stats period.

[crossing other fingers, getting hard to type]

See you on the other side...

Forum Links
Forum Rules