Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is MacNN dying?

Is MacNN dying?
KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 18, 2007, 02:48 AM

I started coming here with technical questions, then ended up staying for the lounge. Mind you, this was back in 1999. We had a smaller group of people, but everybody spent more time in there responses, and you could actually have a pretty intellectual debate about damn near anything in here. This was before +1s and "I'd hit it", this was when posts were generally at least a few sentences, but more often than not a paragraph or two, sometimes even longer.

Then... the stupidity became rampant, and the lounge was filled with political trolls, starting threads on fire only to push their viewpoints upon everyone else, and I fought hard for the creation of a political lounge. I was even banned for the gonzo balls out method in which I used to prove my point that we needed one. However, the seperation of anything political/religious into a seperate forum has had some unexpected side effects. Now, it seems, the lounge is slowly dying, with less than a page of new threads/responses per day, most of which being links to other websites, movie clips, etc. Basically, we're starting to lack content, and of that content, it's lacking MacNN original content. Also, any shred of political/philosophical/religious debate gets thrown into the PL, which is filled with trolls, so most rational people avoid that place entirely, leaving the lounge to discuss whatever is left over. For a while, we discussed movies and videogames and cars, but now any videogame topic gets moved into the 'mac gaming' forum, which is usually about as exciting as a senior citizen's knitting party. Recently, other people have been calling for the creation of a 'car forum', so all the gearheads can discuss cars without 'bothering' people in the lounge.

At what point will this organization stop? The lounge used to be intersting and intelligent until it became filled with stupid people. Then it was still entertaining, but on a much lower level of intelligence. Then, it became too heated and political, so those portions were removed, so it became more of an easy going silly place for light hearted topics, and then even videogames were removed from it's available topics.

What is the future of the lounge? I don't think it looks good, and if the posts/threads created per day are any indication, I'm afraid the lounge won't be worth visiting at all. What would MacNN be like WITHOUT a lounge? Would it improve the other forums, and give them a little more 'life' and 'personality'? Would perhaps they be checked more frequently, solving people's problems faster since they usually involve some sort of technical aspect? Would YOU still visit MacNN if the lounge ceased to exist? And do you think that we should start removing some of the other forums (such as gaming, the political lounge, and mac modification) to create a more diverse atmosphere here?

Peace,

- Ca$h

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 03:02 AM

Ibtl.

Its a joke, get over it :/
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Jul 18, 2007 at 06:14 AM. )
Signature depreciated.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Ibtl.
are you serious?
we don't have time to stop for gas

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 03:39 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 04:14 AM

I cant decide if this is trolling, or a discussion?
Or if its Lounge or Feedback forum worthy
Reported.

KisforKennedy  (op)
Baninated
Jul 18, 2007, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Ibtl.
You are exactly what I was talking about. When you die, I hope to come to your funeral, ask to give a speech, and say "Plus One" and exit.

KisforKennedy  (op)
Baninated
Jul 18, 2007, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Why? Why not keep it in this one? Moving it will only make the lounge even more boring.

KisforKennedy  (op)
Baninated
Jul 18, 2007, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I cant decide if this is trolling, or a discussion?
Or if its Lounge or Feedback forum worthy
Reported.
It's a discussion. And it's not for feedback, it's a discussion of the lounge in the lounge. And reported for what?

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2007, 04:18 AM

I started coming here a while back for technical questions before I got my Mac. Then stuck around to keep myself updated with Mac news. And I like visiting the lounge to see other peoples views on current events and other topics. But some of it has been going down hill lately, not really down hill but slowing down some I guess.
( Last edited by JMan09; Jul 18, 2007 at 04:26 AM. Reason: add stuff)
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by KisforKennedy View Post
It's a discussion. And it's not for feedback, it's a discussion of the lounge in the lounge. And reported for what?
Not reported for the content, or because of the author - because I'm unsure as to which forum it should be located.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by JMan09 View Post
But some of it has been going down hill lately.
People have been saying that pretty much the last six years or so.

What people never realize is that back in the old days, everybody talked about how much better the old days were, too.

And Rob: From your perspective, I'm sure your reception is quite different today than it was six years ago. I know my reaction to you is different than it was back then. But you must realize that there's six years of constant bans, ban-circumvention, flaming, whining, and complete jack-assery in between that has somewhat tainted the relationship between you and this forum.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 04:28 AM

And as for your post (sorry about the derailing ... go figure)
I dont think MacNN is "dying", I think the Lounge is massively popular for social reasons and people forget that there is a ton of other forums on MacNN. They're all equally high traffic, just an entirely different crowd.
Sure the Lounge has a fair amount of offtopic weirdness (IBTL, +1, Timeline, GoRickey( :lol : )) but I think its kept under control.

KisforKennedy  (op)
Baninated
Jul 18, 2007, 04:42 AM

Analogika: Most of the ass-jackery was in response to other jackasses picking fights with me constantly. I don't set out to do so*. I think you're cool, and you generally post things that require more the average amount of braincells. You aren't the problem here.

Peter: That's just it. Lately there's been a lack of posts, threads, or updates. It used to be if you missed a day, you'd have a few pages of new stuff to sift through. Lately, it's less than a page. And of everything posted here, a LOT of it is just a link to some other site, instead of actual discussion.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by KisforKennedy
And do you think that we should start removing some of the other forums (such as gaming, the political lounge, and mac modification) to create a more diverse atmosphere here?
Personally, no.

1. Gaming isn't a general topic, I'm sure I'm not the only person here who isn't interested in it, at all.

2. There has to be some place for people who don't want to involve themselves in political flame wars and religious idiocy.

3. Mac modification may hold interest for some who don't necessarily care about casual conversation.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 05:19 AM

It's my fault. Everything was better before I turned up.

And then I come along and you all feel inadequate because you're a bunch of hippies who don't rock, so you don't post as much because you're too busy hiding your shame.

Or, it could be that it's Summer and everyone's outside doing outside kind of stuff.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Rumor
Jul 18, 2007, 05:31 AM

You are exactly what I was talking about. When you die, I hope to come to your funeral, ask to give a speech, and say "Plus One" and exit.
I hope I'm not the only one that found that hilarious.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Jul 18, 2007, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Or, it could be that it's Summer and everyone's outside doing outside kind of stuff.
What is this "summer" you speak of?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 05:53 AM

I think the forums are fine. The main page I hardly ever visit any more. The old layout was much better than the new one.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I think the forums are fine. The main page I hardly ever visit any more. The old layout was much better than the new one.
What's on this main page you speak of?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 07:32 AM

I'm more tired of having to read about the same horse getting beaten over and over and over. It started out just being 2 or 3 people not letting things go. Now it seems it is 6 or so not letting several different subjects go. Soon, they will appear in this thread I'm sure.

There isn't much of a point to start new threads to have them come in and crap in it.

It is obviously slower than it use to be, so maybe others are tired of those same posters too and choose to not to participate in the lounge?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 07:33 AM

It's all because the Hot Babes thread doesn't get updated much any more. My bad.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 07:51 AM

I dunno, it doesn't look like its dying to me, lots of new members, lots of threads on a variety of subjects - seems pretty lively to me and in general people seem to keep flaming down to a minimum here. I generally don't go into the political forum mainly because of the folks who frequent that forum are pretty partisan in their politics, there's less banter and more arguing - not my cup of tea.

You have a point with the number of forums, I've been to some sites where the granularity of forums was so much that there were 30+ forums and each forum only had a few threads, not enough for critical mass and the place appeared to be a ghost town when in fact there were quite a few member bu they were so spread out to so many forums it was hard to tell.

Macnn seems to strike a nice balance having not have too many forums and not too little. I'm not a gear head so I could care less about car threads and I just skip over them. Do they need their forum I kind of doubt it.

Finally
The lounge used to be intersting and intelligent until it became filled with stupid people.
Calling people stupid is not a great way to start having a conversation on the merits of the lounge (esp. when you mis-spelled words) Just because the topics don't interest you means the people or the subject matter is stupid or beneath you. Personally I find a lot of the threads not my taste but I do what I do with the car threads I skip over them.

It seems you're complaining that Macnn is dying but rather its changing and the you're not liking that. The lounge and forum in general is quite vibrant. I think the constant banning, flaming and fighting with other members has tainted your perspective of the lounge as analogika mentioned.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Macosnerd
Calling people stupid is not a great way to start having a conversation on the merits of the lounge (esp. when you mis-spelled words) Just because the topics don't interest you means the people or the subject matter is stupid or beneath you.
Maybe he doesn't want to have a conversation with stupid people. You might not like it because it's politically incorrect to say so, but there are in fact people who are more stupid than others, and they do drag things down. On some other forums, the tradition is to flame these people until they leave, whereas on others they flourish because no one is allowed to tell them off.

Originally Posted by Macosnerd
It seems you're complaining that Macnn is dying but rather its changing and the you're not liking that. The lounge and forum in general is quite vibrant. I think the constant banning, flaming and fighting with other members has tainted your perspective of the lounge as analogika mentioned.
Some observation from a noob who's been here a month, immediately jumping on the anti-Ca$h bandwagon. It doesn't seem as if you know what you're talking about. Changing and vibrant, my arse. There observably is much less activity in the lounge than there used to be.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I hope I'm not the only one that found that hilarious.
It certainly didn't have the ending I expected.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
There observably is much less activity in the lounge than there used to be.
I agree.

And if I agree with Red Rocket about something then it's 100% indisputable fact.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 08:26 AM

And as for your post (sorry about the derailing ... go figure)
I dont think MacNN is "dying", I think the Lounge is massively popular for social reasons and people forget that there is a ton of other forums on MacNN. They're all equally high traffic, just an entirely different crowd.
Sure the Lounge has a fair amount of offtopic weirdness (IBTL, +1, Timeline, GoRickey( :lol : )) but I think its kept under control.
gorickey.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
Maybe he doesn't want to have a conversation with stupid people. You might not like it because it's politically incorrect to say so, but there are in fact people who are more stupid than others, and they do drag things down. On some other forums, the tradition is to flame these people until they leave, whereas on others they flourish because no one is allowed to tell them off.
Well it seems to me that nobody is twisting his arm to have a conversation with stupid people. He can put them on the ignore list, he can not respond to them and he can avoid the threads that he deems stupid. Simple answer to a simple problem. No need to make it complex. bottom line is that if he thinks the lounge or the site is filling up with stupid people don't come to the lounge or macnn.

btw I have no idea how you can construe that I'm jumping on the anti-ca$h bandwagon by my post. Just pointing out that the forum isn't dying, there's plenty of "vibrant" threads regardless if considers them stupid. Yes there's a bunch of stupid threads too. He also has been banned a lot of time and has a lot of fights with a handful of members. Stating those facts is not jumping on any bandwagon. Another fact is that constant bickering can color a person's perception, I don't think that is being anti-ca$h

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 08:40 AM

I don't think you've been here long enough to declare whether this forum is as vibrant as in the past.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 09:03 AM

It's not dying, it's being killed by a bunch of a-hole alpha males who have a very clear opinon about life and like to impose that upon others. Some of these jerks don't even own Macs, nor have any intention of buying one.

Other than that, it's summer time. If it's not raining outside, you should be outside.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 09:15 AM

This forum, IMHO, belongs to the newer generation of posters. Old members (like me) feel that everything that's worth discussing, already has been discussed, unless it is a new electric car.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 09:18 AM

steady on Dakar, lets not turn this thread into one of those threads.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
It's not dying, it's being killed by a bunch of a-hole alpha males who have a very clear opinon about life
So forums should only be frequented by dreary, geeky little omega males who have no opinions of their own and will never get laid because they're still in the basement looking for their stapler?

Grow a set, hippie.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 18, 2007, 09:28 AM

Analogika: Most of the ass-jackery was in response to other jackasses picking fights with me constantly. I don't set out to do so*. I think you're cool, and you generally post things that require more the average amount of braincells. You aren't the problem here.

Peter: That's just it. Lately there's been a lack of posts, threads, or updates. It used to be if you missed a day, you'd have a few pages of new stuff to sift through. Lately, it's less than a page. And of everything posted here, a LOT of it is just a link to some other site, instead of actual discussion.
Guys nothing is ever Rob's fault. We could all learn something by sitting down and reading is posts and taking what he said as valid, indisputable truth. Esp since no one has ever proved him wrong in here, or did he ever get banned justly.

We should even let him run the forum and make him king

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 09:30 AM

steady on Dakar, lets not turn this thread into one of those threads.
Awesome?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 09:32 AM

Why? Why not keep it in this one? Moving it will only make the lounge even more boring.
It's true then. Irony is dead.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Awesome?
Well, I'm in it already so it's already awesome.

So it can't be in danger of turning into an awesome thread.

jersey
Senior User
Jul 18, 2007, 09:33 AM

I kills me that this is a cash post .........

Although, the funeral / plus one scenario is the funniest thing I've read this week.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 09:36 AM

Well, I'm in it already so it's already awesome.

So it can't be in danger of turning into an awesome thread.
durr herr herr

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 09:40 AM

I think this is actually what is happening to the mac community at large. We used to be a very tight knit group, a very small, yet very strong collection of people. Willing to defend each other, willing to help each other, willing to support each other in a world that rejected us.

Then, sometime in the past decade or so, the Mac actually became popular. Apple was no longer deemed to be on it's deathbed, and people took notice of the products that we'd been raving about for so long. So along with more cool people to join our ranks, we got the other half. In some cases we got some really great people. There are a few tech authors who used to be horribly against the mac, and now they love it.

I think it's just the cost of popularity. I imagine that if we still had mugs around that we'd be getting a lot of riff raff in them. It happens when you have an increased popularity in something.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 09:42 AM

So forums should only be frequented by dreary, geeky little omega males who have no opinions of their own and will never get laid because they're still in the basement looking for their stapler?

Grow a set, hippie.
reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit with William Shatner doing a Star Trek convention....

'move out of your parent's basement! You - you must be like 30 years old. Have you even ever kissed a girl?!'
( Last edited by osiris; Jul 18, 2007 at 09:49 AM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
Then, sometime in the past decade or so, the Mac actually became popular. Apple was no longer deemed to be on it's deathbed, and people took notice of the products that we'd been raving about for so long. So along with more cool people to join our ranks, we got the other half. In some cases we got some really great people. There are a few tech authors who used to be horribly against the mac, and now they love it.
Did you see the other day that NPD said we had 10% market share in desktops and 15% in laptops?

Unbelievable.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 09:46 AM

I think this is actually what is happening to the mac community at large. We used to be a very tight knit group, a very small, yet very strong collection of people. Willing to defend each other, willing to help each other, willing to support each other in a world that rejected us.

I think it's just the cost of popularity. I imagine that if we still had mugs around that we'd be getting a lot of riff raff in them. It happens when you have an increased popularity in something.
Personally, I think the Lounge being dead has nothing to do with Apple at all.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 18, 2007, 09:48 AM

The lounge is dead? I go away for 2-3 days a at a time. I always have to go back 2-3 pages to see what I missed.

I don't call that dead. Now lately since of all the forum problems Less people have been coming in.

Once the problems get taken care of, it will be back to normal.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Personally, I think the Lounge being dead has nothing to do with Apple at all.
Agreed. Lounge traffic seems to be affected more by Rickey Henderson's career than it is by Apple's popularity.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Other than that, it's summer time. If it's not raining outside, you should be reigning outside.
Fixed
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 09:54 AM

So... this is gorickey's fault then?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 10:01 AM

Fixed

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 18, 2007, 10:02 AM

This might be a sour grapes post from Rob since he's been banned more often and not allowed to post as much. "OH well MacNN sux now anyhow"

BTW why is rob not banned?

ps. I know of people that HAVE quit the forum because of lack of consistent/fair and quick modding.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 10:07 AM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 10:18 AM

Analogika: Most of the ass-jackery was in response to other jackasses picking fights with me constantly. I don't set out to do so*.
Do you think this was appropriate?:
Just because it's funny doesn't mean it's less of a jack-assery.

Forum Links
Forum Rules