Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rev A TiBook and Firewire port

Rev A TiBook and Firewire port
Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2003, 12:03 PM

Hey folks!

I've got an almost two year old Rev A 400Mhz TiBook that has recently refused to talk to my iPod.

Anytime I plug in the iPod, the iPod reboots (ok), but it never shows up either in iTunes or on the TiBook 'Mac' Finder window.

I've also got a dual Firewire iMac DV+ that can see the iPod, both in iTunes as well as Finder.

Any suggestions? My first inclination was to say the Firewire port on the TiBook was broke, but complicating matters the iPod 1) knows it was connected, and 2) is quite happy to recharge.

I'm stumped. Anyone else run across this? I guess its possible that part of the Firewire port is broke.

But does anyone else have a view?

Take care
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

Macola
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 05:08 PM

This is entirely speculative, but I think the first rev TiBooks (I also have a Ti/400) had somewhat flaky FW controllers. I had lots of FW problems with mine...it seemed to get slightly better in Jaguar, but not by much. I now have a 12" AlBook, using the same external FW drives, and so far no problems.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2003, 10:24 PM

Ignore the charging aspect.
Concern yourself over the data aspect.

Yes, Ti 400 and 500 are reported to have flaky firewire.

By "knows it's connected" do you mean it says "do not disconnect" ?

If that's the case, I wonder if you can use Disk First Aid on the ipod from the Ti and see what the story is?
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Karim
Senior User
May 11, 2003, 11:25 PM

The first rev Powerbook Ti's the 400 and 500 not only had "flaky" firewire they could develop BURNED-OUT firewire. There was a widespread problem that the firewire could be damaged through routine use on these machines. The only solution was a logic board replacement.

I never had the problem on my machine, but remember alot of people did. I forgot the exact trigger, but it was very common.

Sorry to hear that your firewire ports are burned out. Cost wise, I wonder if it is even worth repairing..

Mutant  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2003, 04:38 PM

Ouch!

I'll try the DiskFirst Aid, but its not sounding promising.

Oh well, my PowerBooks typically visit Mr Ebay every other year so I'll have to be honest about the machine, and someone will get a hell of a deal!

Thanks again - take care

M

Originally posted by Karim:
The first rev Powerbook Ti's the 400 and 500 not only had "flaky" firewire they could develop BURNED-OUT firewire. There was a widespread problem that the firewire could be damaged through routine use on these machines. The only solution was a logic board replacement.

I never had the problem on my machine, but remember alot of people did. I forgot the exact trigger, but it was very common.

Sorry to hear that your firewire ports are burned out. Cost wise, I wonder if it is even worth repairing..
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

Forum Links
Forum Rules