Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Adc?

Adc?
Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 06:32 PM

Hey all, I entered ADC with my login user and am not sure how it works? Like to download the segments and etc? Could someone fill me in what's ADC really is all about? are the ADC good to users like me or only to those who went to WWDC??? Help me out, thanks.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

fitter
Senior User
Sep 1, 2003, 06:43 PM

If you've only got a free online account, you won't be able to download any pre-release software.

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by fitter:
If you've only got a free online account, you won't be able to download any pre-release software.
And, why's that? Is there something that I had to do?

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

yellowdog
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2003, 07:04 PM

Do you have your checkbook handy?

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by yellowdog:
Do you have your checkbook handy?
WTF...... (Pardon my language).

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2003, 07:23 PM

As was said in the previous thread you created about this same issue, read the info on the ADC site. It's all there. Free online accounts can only download the free developer tools and a few other utilities. You can not download early releases of commercial software, such as Panther, unless you pay for a Select or Premiere account.
Vandelay Industries

sandsl
Senior User
Sep 1, 2003, 09:03 PM

No Payment = No Legal Panther Download
Luke

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2003, 10:46 PM

funny thing yesterday
i was updating java from there, and happened to look at the osx section and it had the stuff for 7b53, but i couldnt download it
but it was there like i could download it
got me excited for 15minutes till i gave up on trying to download it, since it was never going to happen

got my friend to check his online ADC account and it wasnt there for him, so i gave him my login and it was there for him too, but couldnt download it either
w3rd..
surrey represent

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2003, 12:03 AM

like the others said, ADC is very expensive, i was a student member for a year (so i could get my powerbook for rediculously cheap), and other than the occasional OS mailing (@ .2 and .2.3) and the monthly mailers, i didnt get much...
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

stew
Senior User
Sep 3, 2003, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by fitter:
Yes, you do. E.g. the IP over Firewire prerelease is a free download for all (even non-paying) ADC members.

Stink different.

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2003, 02:40 AM

ADC is NOT very expensive.

The Select account is only about $500.

If you make your money from software, this is nothing to pay for all the stuff you get.

The Premiere account is an even better deal if you need all the extras.

ADC is not a paid beta program. Folks that don't write software and just want to get betas shouldn't join ADC... I guess unless they have a fair amount of disposable income and they don't mind paying $500 a year for an OS.

I'm a Select member and it basically allows me to make my money writing software... The $500 is nothing amortized over the year...

Anyway, ADC offers seeds with the Select and Premiere memberships. Student memberships get some GM stuff (OS's) but no seeds.

ADC is a great deal, especially compared to other major computer vendor's developer programs.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2003, 03:55 PM

Indeed... ADC doesn't make sense unless you are a devloper. That's what the D stands for, ya know?

Forum Links
Forum Rules