Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > TiSkin Unveiled

TiSkin Unveiled (Page 2)
haley
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2004, 08:14 AM

Very nice-looking theme. I actually like the widgets how they are. Makes complete sense to me. They'll be less in the way visually, but the area to click on them is larger than the widgets appear to be. Smart.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2004, 08:57 AM

I bet this is what he did (or should have did). The widgets are small... yes... but, we don't know what they look like when they're hovered over. Has anyone thought of that? What if you go to hover over them and they grow or change in some way.

This is also one of the only themes I haven't seen
( x ) ( - ) ( + ) in. This theme looks very well done.

But, I have to ask one question. On the rounded buttons, the top of the button's rounded edges looks smaller than the bottom rounded eges... is that an illusion or is that intentional? Maybe you could add a border that's a tad bit darker. Just a suggestion.

haley
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2004, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by xanthic eye:
the widgets are actually not too bad. the click mask is actually a little bit bigger than the actual button, so it shouldn't be a problem clicking them. bigger widgets ruins the flow of the titlebar in my opinion. these small widgets don't get in the way, and make everything else look more spacious.
How many people actually read this?? Just curious...

Zee_on
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 09:38 AM

sadly I read these posts all day long, (endlessly)

its really better then TV...

Zee

FB Eye
Senior User
Feb 10, 2004, 09:56 AM

My 4 year old daughter is more mature than most around here...

It's so easy to understand: if you feed the trolls with replies, you only encourage them.

Why even bother?

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 10, 2004, 10:32 AM

Im gonna get flamed but please remember its just my opinion.

Firstly, this theme does indeed look hot; totally slick, well executed soothing aesthetics for a great theme to use in a working envrionment. Pretty much meets all of the criteria I expect for a working theme in a creative environment.

Secondly, I expected the theme to resemble the Xanthic icons a bit more, not so gray-ish (I know its not really gray) and more dynamic elements. It also bares a striking resemblence to BBX Mercury. Im surprised no one else has mentioned that, are we all so excited to see a new theme that we dont wnat to ruffle feathers...justifiably. Sure the trolls are getting off with their un-backed up rants and rips, but this is justifiable, with visual, factual support. I must say too that the cloning of the Neos brushed titlebar so soon after Neos was released is a tad in bad taste, whether it looks good or not (which it obviously does look hot), try to add your own flavor to that, a custom bevel or something. Just my opinion but with a theme that looks this well polished at its first release, I think something as prominent as the titlebar needs to exude its own sense of uniquity, not borrowedness (whether you did borrow it or not is not the point, it IS feeling borrowed simply because Neos was released with it first, such a short time ago.)

Again, flame me if you want but I have justified all of my complaints, so if your gonna flame me at least justify yourself.

Let me reiterrate though, this is a hot theme, I just think it could be all the hooter (Edit: I spelled hotter, hooter on accident and loved it so I just edited this post to tell you I like hooter better than hotter and Im not changing it!- Yes I did just wake up) with some more individuality.

Congratulations Xanthic on a grand first product and all the potential it has for the future.

(please, no one post another original SimpleX preview to show what my first theme looked like, Im sure we all know by now )

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 11:17 AM

Looks a BIT like Max's port of BBX Mercury, but not much like the k-scheme.
click one

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
I must say too that the cloning of the Neos brushed titlebar so soon after Neos was released is a tad in bad taste, whether it looks good or not (which it obviously does look hot), try to add your own flavor to that, a custom bevel or something. Just my opinion but with a theme that looks this well polished at its first release, I think something as prominent as the titlebar needs to exude its own sense of uniquity, not borrowedness (whether you did borrow it or not is not the point, it IS feeling borrowed simply because Neos was released with it first, such a short time ago.)
So, you suggest that he should change his theme simply because someone elses theme has a similar element in it? I don't think he should compromise his product because of coincidence (and I do believe it's just that, not that I know him, but he doesn't seem the type to clone someone elses work because it looks good).

Would you change GUiPod because I thought it had elements too similar to Milk? Would anyone? I wouldn't.

quandarry
Feb 10, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Steb Mad:
oh, you're too easy

Invictus = quandarry
you created Invictus so you can get away with personal attack and nonconstructive feedback

try again
if you knew me like others do around here you'd realize i'm very outspoken and do not need an alter ego. get my point with your dull madcowed rotted brain matter, sonny boy!

this place is being invade by idiots.

or are you all of them?

keep it up i like a good boxing match.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 03:35 PM

Invictus = quandarry
Nah, Invictus = Catskank?

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2004, 03:52 PM

( Last edited by Steb Mad; Feb 16, 2004 at 03:16 PM. )

quandarry
Feb 10, 2004, 04:12 PM

i'm sure BBX and several others will strongly disagree with you on that one.

you created an alter ego at macthemes for bbx's article, remember?

try again, dude
remember what?

i haven't got a clue what the fuk you are talking about!

i never even read an article by or about bbx at macthemes...i don't make it a daily thing to go there...but i will go there to see what your rotted brain thinks it sees.

now shut your fukking mouth and die.

attacking me will only cause you to derail threads.

don't be thinkingi you are some avenging angel defending someone's honor.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
remember what?

i haven't got a clue what the fuk you are talking about!

i never even read an article by or about bbx at macthemes...i don't make it a daily thing to go there...but i will go there to see what your rotted brain thinks it sees.

don't be thinkingi you are some avenging angel defending someone's honor.

blah blah blah, does it ever get boring? come up with a different front.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 04:20 PM

It also bares a striking resemblence to BBX Mercury.
I don't agree, but I can see why you might think that.

quandarry: Where'd you get those awesome smileys?

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2004, 04:21 PM

if you knew me like others do around here you'd realize i'm very outspoken and do not need an alter ego. get my point with your dull madcowed rotted brain matter, sonny boy!
I'd have to defend Quandarry on this - his balls are big enuff that he doesn't need an alter ego

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2004, 04:23 PM

Nah, I don't think it was him... some other wacko probably.

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Nah, Invictus = Catskank? :err:

Only ever show one face at a time.
The 999 post = death of that sig.

Simple Empire...

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:

quandarry: Where'd you get those awesome smileys?
http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/dueling.gif

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
Mm, it's just because of the general contrast/tone and horizontal reflection. It definitely has that thing I love so much going on tho' - duotone futuristic minimalism with stylized glyphs. etc... I'd love to take credit for popularizing that sort of thing, but that would just be inviting accusations of monsterous ego abuse, so I won't go there

quandarry
Feb 10, 2004, 05:16 PM

i'm sure BBX and several others will strongly disagree with you on that one.

try again, dude
ok...i just got back from macthemes...took me a while but i found the bbx article...two months ago...jeezuz!

i still haven't read it but i read the comments. there were quite a few negative comments but two of the juiciest i'll copy and paste here...

---------
Posted by: Jiminy at January 1, 2004 07:47 PM

This BBX dude is so presumptuous, vainglorious in fact, narcissistic to a point; completely full of himself. I admit he has some skills, but for the most part he's 99% hype.
---------

not my style of writing.
so many people feel this way...but i have never ever even come close to saying any such thing about bbx...why would anyone suspect me?

next..this one is sweet...

-------
Posted by: Dave at February 8, 2004 02:42 AM

Man F**K WILLIAM BART and HIS THEMES/SKINS!!
The dude didn't even reply to Nav and the rest of others questions....Which means....he don't give too shits about his fans, and don't even have balls to reply back to our questions. F**K HIM!!
Take your themes, your skin, your hype and shove it up your ass....bitch.
-------

just noticed this one was posted 2 days ago.
never knew you were so well liked bbx.
again not my style...

-------
why do you think i have got some evil thing going with bbx...i've never put him or his omega theme down.

if you go thru thru the bbx omega thread you will find many peeps who don't like him very much.

i think it was you 'mad' and your rotting stinking grey matter trying to push the filth you spew onto me.
and thanx for polluting this thread.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2004, 06:14 PM

Man F**K WILLIAM BART and HIS THEMES/SKINS!!
The dude didn't even reply to Nav and the rest of others questions....Which means....he don't give too shits about his fans, and don't even have balls to reply back to our questions. F**K HIM!!
Take your themes, your skin, your hype and shove it up your ass....bitch.
Wahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Oh god, I must be doing something right

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 06:34 PM

Uhh yeah, I didn't know people were still posting there. Geez. Guess what happened to that guy?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 06:42 PM

wow what's happened to this forum? There's a new flame/argument every day now! Most of you don't get out enough do you? Everyone's got a lot of anger built up. It's no F*ing big deal, themes are supposed to be a fun hobby.

As for this theme, I like it a lot.
click one

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 10, 2004, 07:02 PM

why don't you all just calm down.
if you don't, i have a small wooden shed i can lock you in. it's very nice. well, except for the rabid mutant platypus i keep locked in there.
just don't look at her for too long. she's self conscious about her appearance.

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2004, 07:28 PM

I have an awesome shed too-- it's called the ignore list. I recommend it to anybody who gets too worked up about the silly stuff that is sometimes written on this board.

It's only a message board, people. Put the idiots that cause your blood pressure to go up on ignore and live a happy, healthy and long life.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 07:30 PM

That's it ! DH, go back to your lounge, start a new thread, and post that bit again. NOW !!

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 10, 2004, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by justinp:
So, you suggest that he should change his theme simply because someone elses theme has a similar element in it?
If you read my post slwoly and carefully you would have noticed that I said he should individualize the shared element, not remove it or change the theme.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 10, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by unlinear:
I have an awesome shed too-- it's called the ignore list. I recommend it to anybody who gets too worked up about the silly stuff that is sometimes written on this board.

It's only a message board, people. Put the idiots that cause your blood pressure to go up on ignore and live a happy, healthy and long life.
Is it just me or does adding people to your ignore list alomst FORCE you to click on their messages everytime anyhow? Man Im apathetic.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2004, 08:14 PM

If you read my post slwoly and carefully you would have noticed that I said he should individualize the shared element, not remove it or change the theme.
When I said "change his theme" I didn't mean literally change the entire theme, just the questionable elesment.

By individualize I have to assume you mean change. If this isn't what you mean, correct me; otherwise, my question stands.

If thr bushed titlebar is displayed the way he intended, I don't think he should change it just because something similar can be seen in another theme.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 08:15 PM

Yup, I find it pretty useless too. (Just what if he posted something smart, intelligent, and witty this time??)

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

xanthic eye
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 08:25 PM

wow, lots happened here while i was gone lol.

lol trust me, the window widgets are fine and usable. if there is still lots of people asking for them to be larger once the theme is released, then i'll create a variant with larger widgets. oh an when you hover over them, they turn a lighter shade of gray. i did think of having them become larger when the mouse hovered over them, but i didn't like the way they looked all being large at the same time. i would have preferred if they would become larger individually... but aqua doesn't allow that.

as for the shape of the buttons, they are even at the top and bottom. its an optical illusion that make it look as if they are a little bit more round on the bottom. the reason is cause of the line underneath which gives the illusion that the buttons are raised.

as for similarities with other themes, they are by coincidence. while i do very much love bbx's work (and am as excited as the next guy to see omega), mercury was not at all an inspiration to the design of tiskin. i can now see some slight similarities with some small bits and pieces, but in my opinion, mercury has a more graphic and extra sharp look to it. as for neos, yeah both themes share a similar concept for the brushed titlebars. i was actually kind of mad at myself for not releasing a screenshot or something of tiskin earlier after seeing neos. so, that again is an unfortunate coincidence. i don't know how long the author of neos had been working on his theme, but i do know that i have had my brushed metal titlebars like this in some form since before i transitioned the theme to panther. hmm, hope that all those words came out right lol... just want it to be known that while i am not downplaying the similarities between the two themes, and the fact that neos is also a very tasty looking theme... that i did not copy or "steal" neos titlebars. *feels better getting that off his chest*

as for all this bickering and arguing, can't we all just get along? yeah i know it won't happen, but hey doesn't hurt to ask nicely.

quandarry
Feb 10, 2004, 08:31 PM

Im gonna get flamed but please remember its just my opinion.

Secondly, I expected the theme to resemble the Xanthic icons a bit more, not so gray-ish (I know its not really gray) and more dynamic elements. It also bares a striking resemblence to BBX Mercury. Im surprised no one else has mentioned that, are we all so excited to see a new theme that we dont wnat to ruffle feathers...justifiably. Sure the trolls are getting off with their un-backed up rants and rips, but this is justifiable, with visual, factual support. I must say too that the cloning of the Neos brushed titlebar so soon after Neos was released is a tad in bad taste, whether it looks good or not (which it obviously does look hot), try to add your own flavor to that, a custom bevel or something. Just my opinion but with a theme that looks this well polished at its first release, I think something as prominent as the titlebar needs to exude its own sense of uniquity, not borrowedness (whether you did borrow it or not is not the point, it IS feeling borrowed simply because Neos was released with it first, such a short time ago.)
just a little rebuttal and since pictures are worth a thousand words...

in my opinion it looks nothig like mercury.

neos

samples of beveled brushed metal before neos,,,

http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/...maggrax_lg.jpg

http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/..._fatale_lg.jpg

Dave-o�
Senior User
Feb 11, 2004, 11:17 AM

I have to agree with the Q-Man on many levels. TiSkin looks nothing like Mercury nor do i think that Neos and TiSkin look that much alike. Sure there are some design elements that are similar but the styles are too differnent.

I would also like to back up Q on the flaming he has received about the 'lack in good manners' posts.. If you read over the forum threads you will see that all his comments are SUPPORTED by facts, thoughts, and intelligence. Though they maybe brutally honest and to the point, which can hurt feelings and ruffle back side feathers, it can also help designers to better themselves in the long run.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
I have to agree with the Q-Man on many levels. TiSkin looks nothing like Mercury nor do i think that Neos and TiSkin look that much alike. Sure there are some design elements that are similar but the styles are too differnent.
I agree.
click one

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 11, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
Sure there are some design elements that are similar but the styles are too differnent.
I agree with this too, I think overall the theme is its own entity, I was just pin pointing two things which I think could be addressed to really make it stand out even more.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Feb 11, 2004, 03:20 PM

I agree with this too, I think overall the theme is its own entity, I was just pin pointing two things which I think could be addressed to really make it stand out even more.
nod, nod.......... . . . .

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 04:59 PM

Hope it's as good on, as it looks in
that shot.

It's shouting out to be tried.
Really interesting choice of color/tone/metallic hue.

Especially dig the finder window bg
image with the drop shadow - makes
the theme shot look super-sexy without
actually doing very much - the way
sexy should be.

Simple Empire...

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2004, 03:27 AM

[but i will go there to see what your rotted brain thinks it sees.

[/QUOTE]
Prediction: You're going to be banned.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 12:12 AM

? bump ?

gimmee gimmee

Dave-o�
Senior User
Feb 13, 2004, 09:30 AM

DJ: it's going to be a couple of weeks before the release of TiSkin.. or at least that's what Xan has been posting around the internet... ~sigh~

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 12:27 PM

Yeah, I saw that over at the Xanthic forums....guess I'm just gonna have to be content with this crappy ole Swizcore theme...

J/K Kevin!

P.S. Where's my drive icon?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Yeah, I saw that over at the Xanthic forums....guess I'm just gonna have to be content with this crappy ole Swizcore theme...

J/K Kevin!

P.S. Where's my drive icon?
lol too bad it's hard to use with the near white text on white text boxes, like the one I'm typing in now.
click one

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2004, 01:30 PM

I sure do miss MagraX... I loved that theme - I wish I could use it in Panther, but I can't even find it to try anymore.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2004, 02:11 PM

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Invictus:
Flat, simple, boring, artistically handicapped, easy
to throw together themes seem to be the in thing.

or not?

What a scizzoid bunch you are.
It's great. It's not easy to "throw" together an aesthetically pleasing theme.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 03:52 PM

in defense of tiskin:
i must say, some of you guys are wacked if you think this looks like bbx or neos.... wow, i don't see that at all. that is reaching a bit for sure. maybe step back from the pixel pushing and see it for what it is, which is a dynamic and well-executed theme.
kudos!
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 17, 2004, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by bluevertical:
in defense of tiskin:
i must say, some of you guys are wacked if you think this looks like bbx or neos.... wow, i don't see that at all. that is reaching a bit for sure. maybe step back from the pixel pushing and see it for what it is, which is a dynamic and well-executed theme.
kudos!
bv.
Color me whacky then. Its more about an aesthetic semblence than actual pixel for pixel artwork. I already stated that i still think its an awesome work.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 05:26 PM

what color would wacky be anyway? lol
all in good fun. aesthetics are always and will always be subjective... beit architecture, art, graphics, etc... no sweat.
peace.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 06:56 PM

Awesome metallic theme Xanthic. Been a fan of your site for a long long time. Keep up the good work.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2004, 12:25 PM

I'm really looking forward to this release because this looks like an unobtrusive, super clean theme. A gray that's colorless with no hue like Studio Pro... not that there's anything wrong with that theme or other similary well executed designs, I just prefer the colorless themes. Very nice work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules