Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What is this about 100ppi with the new monitors...

What is this about 100ppi with the new monitors...
mr.human
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 07:52 AM

So I know in the old CRT days of web design it was considered wise to remember that macs used 72ppi and pc's used 96ppi as the defaults. This never made a lot of sense to me as I knew that pixels-per-inch was a user-adjustable parameter--one that photoshop users in particular would always push to its extreme. Now Apple is pushing the 100ppi spec as an ideal so I guess these new LCD's run at 100ppi natively. Isn't that the same as the last generation? My sister has a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop that has the most amazingly high-rez screen I've ever seen. It's not for everybody's eyes of course but it's native at 1920x1200 and 15.25" viewable. That's roughly 150ppi and it's the best resolution vs. portablility solution I've seen for a photoshop-laptop. With LCD's still looking terrible at anything but their native resolutions, Apple needs to look at higher ppi's *at least* in their portable line.

Oh yeah, I'm not getting a Dell. I'm not recommending Dell and I don't want to start some stupid flame-war for having mentioned that there is this one component in one of their machines that I'm jealous of.
The good news? I'm just kidding, she's dead.

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 09:50 AM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 1, 2004, 02:50 PM

Damn... that site looks like it has a lot to say, but I can't bring myself to read that long a document in Comic Sans.

tooki

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by TommyLeeRoth:
http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html
thx for the link v interesting, I've been a bit confused about screen dpi (ppi?) for some time and that explained a lot

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 08:39 PM

Sure you can fit more on a 1920 x 1200 res screen, but can you see/read anything when that res in on a 15" display? Maybe, but it's sure going to be hell on your eyes. Apple explains that the 100 dpi number was arrived at by balancing the need for higher resolutions with the need to actually see what you're working on.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Forum Links
Forum Rules