Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB Updates: Delayed?

PB Updates: Delayed? (Page 2)
Agazzie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 05:24 AM

Do you think they will release new iBook uppgrade without a PowerBook uppgrade? Has apple ever done that before, released a new/uppgraded serie of iBook before powerbook?

//Andr�
Do not do anything today, which
someone else can do tomorrow..

mrmister  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 08:54 AM

Yes, usually when they are holding off for a big PowerBook update.

georgelien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 12:40 PM

Expect PowerBook G5 at the next MacWorld Expo, or expect no G5 for portable Macs at all. Who knows--we might see dual core G4s in future PowerBooks sooner than we see a G5 processor inside a Mac portable.

But my money is on the PowerBook G5 at the next MacWorld Expo.

I'm no "insider." Nor do I have inside information. I just believe in Apple's engineering skills.

After all, I did wait to get the first PowerBook G4, which thought impossible by many people.

A PowerBook G5 with current $1,499 model spec should blow most PC laptop away.

cambro
Senior User
Oct 19, 2004, 01:01 PM

Well, according to Apple's president of worldwide marketing:

"This new line-up of iBooks, along with the current PowerBooks we have will make-up the complete portable line-up we will be offering for the holidays," said Moody." (from maccentral).

So, it looks like whatever happens to the powerbook won't happen until 2005. In the meantime, they have a very, very similar Powerbook G4 and iBook G4 with a $600 price gap!

mrmister  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 01:57 PM

I bet correctly--bought a 2 month old 15" 1.5 gig with 1 gig of RAM, 128 megs of VRAM and the 5400 rpm drive for the startling price of $2550, inclusive. No tax, no fees, no waiting, and now I feel pretty certain this is the last one in its form factor, as MacCentral is saying they won't update until after the holidays. Saved 5 or 6 hundred dollars, and got to inspect the machine before purchase. Woot!

Fenbar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 03:55 PM

"This new line-up of iBooks, along with the current PowerBooks we have will make-up the complete portable line-up we will be offering for the holidays," said Moody." (from maccentral).

I guess no updates before Xmas.

I had been hoping they'd atleast boost the G4 Powerbooks a bit so I could get one. Atleast now I'll be comfortable getting a 1.5Ghz 17".

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 04:35 PM

This could only mean G5 Powerbooks are coming at the next expo. It makes no sense to keep the current Powerbooks at the same price point while raising the specifications on the ibook, and then not doing anything for the Powerbook for the next 2+ months.
Unless they are going dual core or have to wait (wouldn't surprise me) for Motorola to make chips worth of an upgrade.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 19, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
This could only mean G5 Powerbooks are coming at the next expo. It makes no sense to keep the current Powerbooks at the same price point while raising the specifications on the ibook, and then not doing anything for the Powerbook for the next 2+ months.
Or it could mean that Motorola can't produce reasonably powered chips faster than 1.5 GHz at the moment, but may in the next few months. ie. Apple could just as well ship a G4 7448 up to 1.8 GHz in a few months, with a G5 PowerBook coming later (if at all).

poocat
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 05:32 PM

Wow. I'm amazed. The 12" iBook is barely worse than the 12" powerbook. Apple really needs to step the 12" PB up to match the 15" and 17", and then step the 12" ibook up to match the 14" ibook.

Strange. One would think they'd want as hot a laptop (powerbook) as possible for christmas. Holding off till January seems like a... mis-estimate?

Who knows though. Was hoping for newer powerbooks though. The 12" is just too much like the iBook for the money.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Fiete5401
Oct 19, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
Wow. I'm amazed. The 12" iBook is barely worse than the 12" powerbook. Apple really needs to step the 12" PB up to match the 15" and 17", and then step the 12" ibook up to match the 14" ibook.
Strange. One would think they'd want as hot a laptop (powerbook) as possible for christmas. Holding off till January seems like a... mis-estimate?
Who knows though. Was hoping for newer powerbooks though. The 12" is just too much like the iBook for the money.
This way they cannibalize themself.
Nobody will buy a 12"-PB when you can get the same speed with more features in an iBook!

Damn Apple! I'm really disappointed!

mrmister  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 06:42 PM

And so my long wait has come to an end--I'm typing this on a 15" Powerbook 1.5 gig, with the 128 megs of VRAM and 5400 rpm hard drive. Bought it yesterday slightly used, risking that there'd be an update today--but because the seller feared the same thing, I got a great price, as he wanted to move it before a possible price drop. Fantastic, fantastic machine.

McFarmer
Oct 19, 2004, 08:35 PM

It seems more and more obvious that the 12" PowerBook is EOL - as in discontinued for good. My guess is Apple realized that the G5 won't make the cut for a tiny enclosure like the 12" PowerBook's. Cooling a G5 is just not possible. Therefore the idea to beef up the 12" iBook to a point where potential 12" PowerBook customers are 'happy' and then silently discontinuing the 12" model when the G5 PowerBooks come out.

poocat
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 08:40 PM

That would really suck because the 12" powerbook is one of the best models. It's far more versatile than the 17" and many mac users really appreciate the full-featured (mostly) laptop in the smaller form factor. I really want a 12" and if they drop it... i'll just get an old one, but i'll be really disappointed.

Hope apple knows...
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

8minute
Oct 19, 2004, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by McFarmer:
It seems more and more obvious that the 12" PowerBook is EOL - as in discontinued for good. My guess is Apple realized that the G5 won't make the cut for a tiny enclosure like the 12" PowerBook's.
If indeed the 12" is being discountinued cos it's too small for G5 ... maybe they're bringing out a 13" widescreen PB to replace it?

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2004, 10:24 PM

I just price compared the iBook 12" and the PB12" -- not that big a difference in price. You can get the 5400 rpm HD and the superdrive for the PB12, and you have digital video out.

I agree that the 12" iBook is the best value, but this happens all the time. The Xmas market is largely value-based shopping, so this is understandable for Apple to emphasize the consumer notebooks for xmas 2004.

I really do not think the PB12 is EOL -- indeed, the latest word from Intel on mobile processors is cheaper, not better -- so I think Apple is just taking advantage of Intel's processor roadmap revamping.

And there is at least one more update for the current PB line.

Xanadu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2004, 03:28 AM

"the Xmas market is largely value-based shopping, so this is understandable for Apple to emphasize the consumer notebooks for xmas 2004."

I agree totally, I think Apple are expecting people to be buying ibooks for christmas presets, which is quite a sensible strategy, since they have announced them quite early which enables people to buy them and get them delivered before Christmas. However, I suppose Apple are still trying to differentiate the current Powerbooks on price (although perhaps too much!) since they are quite similar to the ibooks, and perhaps this is intended to target them more at the business/corporate market where individual prices aren't such an issue. However I still think they should lower the price since a $600 price difference for essentially the same computer can only reflect bad on them!

Forum Links
Forum Rules