Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > general question

general question
d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 11:55 PM

1. say you have 2-3 safari windows opened, can u cycle to one another wiithout using the mouse?

2. again say you have 2-3 safari windows opened, can u put them (vertically/horizontally arranged) without having to use the mouse to move them around?

im obviously a new MAC user who currently switched from a PC hehe

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 12:08 AM

1. To cycle between windows, Apple+tilde
2. To cycle between tabs, Shift+Apple+left or right arrow
3. Wrong forum.

utidjian
Senior User
Jan 16, 2005, 12:51 AM

Even easier is to use the tabbed browsing feature.

Safari --> Preferences --> Tabs
then check the box for 'Enable Tabbed Browsing'
Apple-Shift-Tab to cycle between tabs.
-DU-...etc...

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 12:52 AM

Also, don't forget about the magic os Expose. F10 will arrange all the windows of one app on the screen so you can choose one. F9 arranges all windows of all apps. And F11 moves all the windows out of the way so you can see the Desktop.

Chris

d0GGii  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2005, 02:50 AM

hmm sorry for posting this on the wrong forum

what is a tilde??

and by having all the windows (not tabs) arranged veritically/horizontally, i want to view everything at once and be able to do things on them. its like this feature they have on the windows XP..if anyone knows

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 02:57 AM

~ <-- tilde

Last time I checked, XP has nothing remotely close to Expose, other than a 3rd party rip-off.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by d0GGii:
and by having all the windows (not tabs) arranged veritically/horizontally, i want to view everything at once and be able to do things on them. its like this feature they have on the windows XP..if anyone knows
No, Safari doesn't have a feature to automatically tile windows. You have to manually arrange windows if you want that, or you could switch between windows using Expos� (having a screen corner assigned to Expos� is very handy for this).

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
~ <-- tilde
This is on an US keyboard only. As far as I can tell the window cycle shortcut is the key to the right of the left shift key. That's not always the tilde on non-US keyboards.

d0GGii  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2005, 04:31 AM

isnt "~" to the left of "1"

oh well i guess not since "command" + "~" doesn't cycle the window on my machine. i probably have another kind of keyboard since i purchased my iBook in Taiwan. Does anyone know if i can change the keyboard on the iBook somehow? i know this probably has been discussed before but since i already opened this thread i'll just ask you guys here

im currently a happy user who has just made the switch and i got a lot of questions

Thx ppl!

d0GGii  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2005, 04:40 AM

nvm im able to cycle between windows now
w00t

this helps so much even tho expose is still a great feature!

now i got another question but its about hardware dunno if i should ask it here: my harddrive is making such a loud noise. its is almost cracking me up. i wish i could put my iBook right next to someone else's to see if its normal.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2005, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by d0GGii:
now i got another question but its about hardware dunno if i should ask it here: my harddrive is making such a loud noise. its is almost cracking me up. i wish i could put my iBook right next to someone else's to see if its normal.
I've never noticed a loud noise from iBooks. If you live somewhere there is one, you could check out some iBooks at an Apple Store (or any other computer store that sells them, obviously).

Originally posted by TETENAL:
This is on an US keyboard only. As far as I can tell the window cycle shortcut is the key to the right of the left shift key. That's not always the tilde on non-US keyboards.
That's Z on every keyboard I've seen, American or not. Anyway, though, I don't think it's command-tilde; it's command-backquote (`). Shift isn't required.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
That's Z on every keyboard I've seen, American or not.

You're right, that's Z on an American keyboard. However, what I wanted to say is that the window cycle shortcut is not ⌘` on every keyboard layout. If you have a non-English keyboard you might have to experiment a little bit to find it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2005, 06:46 AM

Technically, it's a zed on non-American keyboards.

And to answer the hardware problem, go to Preferences > Energy Saver and adjust the settings to see if that helps with the fan noise.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2005, 07:08 AM

Well, I'll be doggoned. Is that a normal AZERTY layout (or normal for any locale)?

However, what I wanted to say is that the window cycle shortcut is not ⌘` on every keyboard layout. If you have a non-English keyboard you might have to experiment a little bit to find it.
Huh. That's pretty annoying, actually. They should just pick a key and stick to it. (Not really directed at you. Just observing.)
Chuck
___

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2005, 07:17 AM

Well, I'll be doggoned. Is that a normal AZERTY layout?
Good catch.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 07:21 AM

They should just pick a key and stick to it.
They can't stick to the backtick key because not every keyboard has one. The German keyboard doesn't have a backtick key, because that character is never used in German language (I wonder what it's used for in English, but anyway).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2005, 07:46 AM

As far as I can tell, it's only used by people who want to be excruciatingly precise when they write "m&eacute;nage &agrave; trois."

But I wasn't saying I want it to be the backtick everywhere. I just want it to be something everywhere.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules