Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about my recent AppleCare service

Question about my recent AppleCare service
dennett
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2005, 09:20 PM

I just got my PB Ti back from service due to flickering and graying monitor. The paperwork returned with the PB doesn't really explain what was done. Firstly, the paperwork says the failure was caused by my non-Apple brand 256mg memory chip, which they then removed and returned to me. They say that the machine failed to pass all the "Apple diagnostic and reliability tests" with the non-Apple memory installed. I bought the chip at the Chip Merchant in San Diego over 2 years ago and installed it myself, it always worked flawlessly. Is this just something that Apple does to any non-Apple product that has been installed or should I accept that the chip is bad?

They also say that an unnamed Apple product failed and was replaced free of charge. On the invoice it says the following product was replaced "675-0018 PBG4,ECN,CASCADING" Any idea of what this is exactly??

The machine works fine now and I'm satisfied with the repair, I'm just wondering exactly what they replaced and whether or not I should just re-install my memory chip.

Thanks in advance!

johnpop
Jan 24, 2005, 09:30 PM

I can't answer your question, but does this mean that if my newly purchased ram doesn't work with my computer and I send it back I send my computer to apple and they will replace it?

I have APP too.

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 11:27 AM

Wow, I thought for sure that someone here would be able to decifer those codes that Apple used to explain what was done to my PB... I did call Apple to ask for an explaination but didn't get much help, at first the person said it appeared that they replaced the monitor, then he said it looked like they had replaced the hinge as it was pinching the cable and that they also had to replace the damaged cable. I got a pretty lame explanation for the memory chip removal, they said it was usually standard procedure to remove any 3rd party products prior to servicing anything as a way of confirming it wasn't the cause of the failure. The guy said the chip is most likely fine...

Any comments or thoughts?

Forum Links
Forum Rules