Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > In Search of Application

In Search of Application
mr.human
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2005, 07:48 PM

I'm not a developer but there's something that I'd like to build to maybe get my fet wet. The most I've ever done before is an applescript or two to change memory allocation to different programs (under OS 9) for different concurrent program usage. Like if I was going to use only Illustrator and Photoshop for a particular project I'd click the script that would divide my total (9600=1G) memory among just Photoshop (740M), Illustrator (200), and the System (up to 84M?). Obiously this was only about a 5-line script.

What I want to have now and can't quite find in the system-monitor shareware tools I've seen so far, is some sort of immediate and constant feedback on the empty space available on a hard drive. Ideally this info would be visible in the drive's icon everywhere that icon is displayed (desktop, sidebar, toolbar, anywhere). I was thinking something like the blue chord that Roxio's Toast displays in the lower right corner of the application window. Maybe it could be simply the default Apple hard drive icon filling with green from the bottom, changing to yellow at 80% and red at 90% full.

I have no idea if this would be easy or even possible, but in my mac tech work I frequently encounter people who have boot drives 98% full and they're paying for an expensive housecall to 'find out what's wrong with their computer.' For me I'd like the feedback because almost all of my boxes have 3-5 drives on the desktop and knowing immediately how full they all are would allow me to quickly decide where to put various files.

Any suggestions for existing shareware or the right tools to make this happen would be appreciated. TIA.

-steve
( Last edited by mr.human; Mar 5, 2005 at 08:36 PM. )
The good news? I'm just kidding, she's dead.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 10:20 PM

I'd guess that it would be pretty hard to replace the finder's drives icons.

This app might help you:

http://infinitenexus.com/dg/index.html

mr.human  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2005, 02:30 AM

Exactly what I need! Thanks a lot! I just bought 2 licenses plus a copy of each of their other apps I'm so happy. Unsanity tech support suggested I just turn on Show Info under View Options for the Desktop. This is the far more elegant solution I was hoping for. Searching Versiontracker several ways did not turn this up for me.

Thanks again!

-s

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
I'd guess that it would be pretty hard to replace the finder's drives icons.

This app might help you:

http://infinitenexus.com/dg/index.html
The good news? I'm just kidding, she's dead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules