Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Automotive OBD-2 and CANBUS support in OS X

Automotive OBD-2 and CANBUS support in OS X
JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2005, 04:41 AM

Why doesn't apple show any support in this direction?

When a person becomes involved in diagnosing or tuning cars the only way to go is Wintel..
If support from the OS could be added maybe a lot of those apps could come to mac also.

sideus
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 06:14 AM

Most autoshops are not going to purchase Macs for car diagnosing so there is no incentive to create OS X based software.

nerd
Senior User
Mar 30, 2005, 10:32 AM

There is some Linux binaries over at SourceForge. If you know programming all you would have to do is put a GUI on top of it and maybe change a couple lines of code.... If you know how to program give it a try, I don't like using my PC for it either.

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 07:06 PM

Any overviews on what sort of market there is for this stuff, aside from the obvious autoshops? What's it good for?
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

nerd
Senior User
Mar 31, 2005, 02:45 PM

There are a lot of people out there with Macs that want to be able to reset check engine lights, etc. without using a PC. The Mini boards over at http://northamericanmotoring.com have quite a few Mac users.

I think this is something that was made it would sell good once the word got out. I'm going to get a Palm based solution because I don't want to drag around my work provided laptop. If there was a Mac solution I would get that instead.

Brad

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2005, 03:50 PM

It would be great to check and reset status codes via a mac. And with the MacMini being used in a bunch of auto installs, I'd think that there would be some market for a conduit to display all that junk onto your desktop. And a software app that is skinnable and priced about the same as some of the panic/unsanity goodness would go like gangbusters.

nerd
Senior User
Mar 31, 2005, 04:19 PM

Exactly, I was just thinking that. Use that 7" USB touch screen that one of the guys used to install a Mac Mini. I think it was in a VW GTI. Make a cool app that showed sensors in real time and make the interface completely accessible from the touch screen so you don't need a mouse and keyboard. Add data logging to it and your all set.

Hummmm, I need to get back to learning Cocoa. I kick myself in the butt for not finishing the book I started about a year ago. Someday I'll get back to it.

Brad

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 04:30 PM

I read about a motorbike team doing this with a GAMEBOY Color, so there is no excuse for them to don�t do it with a Mac.

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2005, 08:06 PM

Can anyone link to specs?
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

JohnD  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2005, 02:59 AM

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 1, 2005, 10:44 AM

There's many aftermarket fuel injection setups for performance cars that can be tuned with a laptop. or a PDA/Pocket PC for that matter. Nothing on the Mac.

I'd love to dial in more fuel pressure, remove/add timing, change fuel curve, adjust rev limiters etc on my Mustang. but I won't be buying a Wintel to get it done, so I won't be doing it.

until there's a Mac software solution.

DO IT!
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules