Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Thinking of Moving to Toronto

Thinking of Moving to Toronto
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 07:06 AM

I know there are a lot of GTA ppl here so I have a few questions. Whats the weather like through out the year. Whats the crime like. Whats the job market like right now. Which areas are good to live. How much does it cost to live, power and stuff.

Im tired of all the crap in my life right now, and the only way out I see is to move far from it all. So Toronto seems like a good choice.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 4, 2005, 09:52 AM

Weather:
It doesn't rain here anywhere near as much Vancouver, but when it rains here, it really rains. Heavy downpour.
In the summer, it's quite humid. Much more humid than Vancouver strangely enough.
It gets very hot here in the summer.
In the winter it gets moderately cold, but it feels colder than say in Sask at the same temp, because of the humidity. But overall it's not too bad (even though it's much colder than in Vancouver.)
There is a fair amount of snow, but it doesn't stick around throughout the winter on the roads.

Job market:
Depends on what you do, but for most stuff, it's usually better than Vancouver.

Cost of living:
Well, I don't know what it costs in Vancouver these days, but I'm told that prices are in the same ballpark for rent. Car insurance is higher in Toronto though.

Areas in which to live:
What kind of area do you like living in? You won't get the greenery that Van offers though. And mountains? Heh.

Crime:
There are some not so nice areas, but so far I haven't found an area quite as bad as East Hastings in Van. with the heroin addicts shooting up in bus shelters.

Life change:
I won't pry, but don't expect just moving to Toronto to necessarily solve much of course... But that's beyond the scope of a forum thread.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 4, 2005, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
I know there are a lot of GTA ppl here so I have a few questions. Whats the weather like through out the year. Whats the crime like. Whats the job market like right now. Which areas are good to live. How much does it cost to live, power and stuff.

Im tired of all the crap in my life right now, and the only way out I see is to move far from it all. So Toronto seems like a good choice.
Probably as good a choice as any. I've considered a short stay in Canada a while ago.
Here is a quick Google for you:

http://www.goinglobal.com/countries/..._of_living.asp

http://www.ottawaregion.com/lifestyle/cost.asp

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Weather:
It doesn't rain here anywhere near as much Vancouver, but when it rains here, it really rains. Heavy downpour.
In the summer, it's quite humid. Much more humid than Vancouver strangely enough.
It gets very hot here in the summer.
In the winter it gets moderately cold, but it feels colder than say in Sask at the same temp, because of the humidity. But overall it's not too bad (even though it's much colder than in Vancouver.)
There is a fair amount of snow, but it doesn't stick around throughout the winter on the roads.

Job market:
Depends on what you do, but for most stuff, it's usually better than Vancouver.

Cost of living:
Well, I don't know what it costs in Vancouver these days, but I'm told that prices are in the same ballpark for rent. Car insurance is higher in Toronto though.

Areas in which to live:
What kind of area do you like living in? You won't get the greenery that Van offers though. And mountains? Heh.

Crime:
There are some not so nice areas, but so far I haven't found an area quite as bad as East Hastings in Van. with the heroin addicts shooting up in bus shelters.

Life change:
I won't pry, but don't expect just moving to Toronto to necessarily solve much of course... But that's beyond the scope of a forum thread.
Actually East Hastings has been cleaned up A LOT, specially since the safe injection house opened up. I cant remmeber seeing a needle anywhere downtown in a year. Even in the alleys. And I work only a few blocks from the heart of skidrow. How is the air pollution out there?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 12:44 PM

Actually East Hastings has been cleaned up A LOT, specially since the safe injection house opened up. I cant remmeber seeing a needle anywhere downtown in a year. Even in the alleys. And I work only a few blocks from the heart of skidrow.
Good to hear.

How is the air pollution out there?
Worse than Van, but not as bad as some other big North American cities.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 01:41 PM

I just moved back to Calgary from a short contract job in Windsor (about 4 hours SW of TO). I can't comment directly on TO, but on southern Ontario I think you'll miss Vancouver's mild winters. This winter in southern Ont. had alot of snow (I'm told it was more than average, so my assessment may not be entirely fair). -10C can feel like -20C with just a little breeze, and from what I've heard of the summers, I know I wouldn't be able to handle the heat/humidity combination (Alberta is almost a desert in terms of moisture), and then there's all the insects ...

Why do you want to leave Vancouver?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 01:46 PM

I wish you every happiness with your move to Toronto. Do you have a job already?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Why do you want to leave Vancouver?
Well, I'm a snowboarder and a mountain biker, and I like Vancouver's mild winters.

But I still prefer living in Toronto. Toronto has more of a big city feel (more arts/theatre stuff), and I'm into that. Plus the job market in Toronto is better.

I do wish Toronto wasn't such an urban jungle though.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 02:09 PM

And I wanna move to Van. Trade?
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Atriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2005, 02:43 PM

most people i know who move from the west coast to toronto completly hate it here. its a big change and alot less laid back in terms of atmosphere.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 03:28 PM

It is very safe but in winter it gets really cold.

I love it though.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Atriot:
most people i know who move from the west coast to toronto completly hate it here. its a big change and alot less laid back in terms of atmosphere.
I moved from Vancouver to Toronto, and I prefer Toronto. However, I'm not a Vancouver native. I'm originally from the prairies.

I do admit though most of the west coasters I know who lived in Toronto want to eventually move back out west, if they haven't already done so.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 03:34 PM

I do admit though most of the west coasters I know who lived in Toronto want to eventually move back out west, if they haven't already done so.
And everyone that I know that move to BC get depressed from the rain and bored to tears and come back to Tdot.

I think eventually I might move to Vancouver as I hate the snow.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 03:46 PM

When I lived in Toronto, I really hated three things: the wind in the winter, the crushing humidity in the summer, and the toxic tap water. The winters are long, so you'll have to give up seeing cherry blossoms in late February or early March. But autumn in Ontario more than makes up for it.

Other than that, I thought Toronto was a great city. And the subway system is fantastic. I uninsured my car for six months because I could get everywhere I needed with the subway.

Mt. Pleasant Cemetary

DeeKat
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2005, 03:59 PM

you guys got it all wrong. Montreal is THE place to be in this country. In Toronto your gonna die of boredom! Espacially for the Arts scene Montreal is 10 times groovyer than Toronto.

There is not as much money than in toronto but we get the most beautiful girl!!! And the F1 Grand Prix, and the Jazz Fest, and the Just for laught fest. And you'll just love the french girls!

Ok, OK i admit it f***ing freezing in the winter...

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by DeeKat:
you guys got it all wrong. Montreal is THE place to be in this country.
I hear parts are cool but it can also be snobby with all those french sticklers.

It is also the coldest place on the planet 8 months of the year.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by DeeKat:
you guys got it all wrong. Montreal is THE place to be in this country. In Toronto your gonna die of boredom! Espacially for the Arts scene Montreal is 10 times groovyer than Toronto.

There is not as much money than in toronto but we get the most beautiful girl!!! And the F1 Grand Prix, and the Jazz Fest, and the Just for laught fest. And you'll just love the french girls!

Ok, OK i admit it f***ing freezing in the winter...
Well, I lived in Montr�al for 6 years. As an English speaker (and yes I took French classes), I always felt like an outsider. The English/French politics is extremely tiresome, but it never goes away. The taxes are quite high there too.

Great place to party, but I wasn't too keen on staying there permanently.

Best looking women in North America though. And the best dressed men in North America too.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 04:17 PM

Toronto is Canada's most international city. If you like diversity this is the place. EVERY person that I have come into contact with who have moved to Toronto from elsewhere, have fallen in love with the city and have made arrangements to live here permanently. YMMV.

Personally, I think the TDOT is without a doubt one of the best places to move to if you are young as there is so much to do especially in the summer. Club life is awesome, shopping is amazing, arts and theatre is top notch (Maybe not so now with the current selection of stuff out there), and moreover the summers in Toronto are so much fun, as every weekend there is something to do. Aside from New York and London, I believe Toronto has the next largest english speaking theatre in the world. If you like that type of stuff.

In terms of recreation, then Ontario has a lot to offer, as a minimum 1.5 hour drive in any direction from the city can get you to some really nice cottage country. Of course if you are willing to drive farther, your outdoor experience may also substanitally get better.

I have travelled a lot through Europe and the US, both for business and pleasure, but I go to school in Toronto, and there is just something about the TDOT that still makes it high on my list of places to live and settle down. But then again, I here the same things about Vancouver so again, I guess you really can't go wrong with either...

Good luck with your decision...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 04:25 PM

TDOT???

Aside from New York and London, I believe Toronto has the next largest english speaking theatre in the world. If you like that type of stuff.
Lord of the Rings musical to debut in Toronto

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 04:52 PM

TDOT???

Lord of the Rings musical to debut in Toronto

Welcome to the Dominon of Ontario...

TDOT... the hip way to refer to Toronto. Originating from how Toronto has also been referred to as and spelled "T.O." (pronounced "T-Oh"). Thus the term TDOT (pronounced "T Dot" is how the city is somtimes referred to as it is a representative of how it is spelled i.e. TO (The "O" is the dot)

Moreover, another way to refer to Toronto is the "T-Dot-O-Dot" also referring to this spelling "T.O."

I have also heard the city referred to as 'Tronna' and 'The Big Smoke'...

One thing for sure is that most other Canadian provinces dislike Ontario specifically Toronto for reasons beyond me. Jealously? Perhaps not....

My personal unofficial Toronto anthem...

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...edItemId=66493

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 05:26 PM

i've only visited my relatives there but toronto is so clean and the people are friendly...

the NHL hall of fame is up there and downtown seems like fun...

one thing that i am still a litle shocked at is the vast chinese community in the north part of the city...i mean walking through a large, crowded mall and seeing not one round eye is amazing! I've lived in hong kong and even there one sees a brit here and there...
btw, i'm a banana too

athens,
from experience, one can't run away from one's troubles...as mike brady might have said, "where ever you go, there you are."

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 05:35 PM

Weather:
In the winter it gets moderately cold...
Ha, Toronto is where I leaned firsthand that -40 degrees Celsius equals -40 degrees Fahrenheit

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Ha, Toronto is where I leaned firsthand that -40 degrees Celsius equals -40 degrees Fahrenheit
Meh. Did you actually experience anything close to that? Back in Saskatchewan, we'd often get close to -40 WITHOUT the wind chill... and in the summer there I've experienced +44.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 05:49 PM

It's a super kinky place. Have fun!
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
I learned the "Tronna" thing from my aunt & uncle, when we'd visit here from Calgary. It's also "Hogtown," as opposed to Calgary's title "Cowtown."

I've never seen it hit -40 air temperature here, even in Calgary it would hit -30 and not too much lower. Granted, it'd stay there for a week at a time...

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 06:27 PM

The weather in Toronto is about the same as in NY City. Actually they get hit with more snow storms than we do.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Leonis
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 06:37 PM

My decision on whether to move to Toronto or not will be depending the outcome of the provincial election this May.

If that pro-unions, communist NDP wins the election I will then move to Toronto for sure.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2005, 06:53 PM

I know this is a bit insulting, but maybe you should see a therapist before you move. You say you want to leave Vancouver because your life needs to be sorted out, but moving will only complicate things.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 07:07 PM

I moved to Toronto from London, in the UK, last year and so far I am loving it. Very safe, great food, excellent shopping. Public transport is cheap and reliable. People, as a rule, are friendly.

As far as rent is concerned, $800 will get you something simple, $1000 will get you a place you won't mind showing to your mom and $1400 will get you a beautiful 2-3 bedroom place.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 07:22 PM

Okay, everyone has been offering good info about Toronto. What do you guys know about Ottawa? My understanding is that Ottawa:Toronto in Canada like Washington, DC:New York in the States. Is this true?

From what I have been told, by a long-time Ottawa resident who has lived/worked in DC for quite a number of years, is that Ottawa is small and kinda insular and holds the political power while Toronto is much larger, more cosmopolitan and much more cultural.

There is the slim possibility of me moving to Ottawa for work reasons and I want to get a sense of the place from you Canucks here on the forum. Thanks!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

hayesk
Apr 4, 2005, 07:33 PM

edit
( Last edited by hayesk; Dec 3, 2016 at 06:44 PM. )

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
The weather in Toronto is about the same as in NY City. Actually they get hit with more snow storms than we do.
so true...

(Buffalo especially).... Buffalo gets way more snow then TO...

also if getting to the US is something you wish to do, Buffalo is a short <2 hour drive from the GTA...

If Detroit is what you wish then that is only about a 3.5 hour drive from the GTA...

Just aside... other large summer events in the GTA include, Beaches Jazz Festival, Caribana, Pride Parade, Dragon Boat Festival, etc.. etc...

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2005, 07:36 PM

Canada will always be culturally inferior to the UK.
Just kidding

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by JohnSmithXTREME:
I know this is a bit insulting, but maybe you should see a therapist before you move. You say you want to leave Vancouver because your life needs to be sorted out, but moving will only complicate things.
Vintage...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
Okay, everyone has been offering good info about Toronto. What do you guys know about Ottawa? My understanding is that Ottawa:Toronto in Canada like Washington, DC:New York in the States. Is this true?

From what I have been told, by a long-time Ottawa resident who has lived/worked in DC for quite a number of years, is that Ottawa is small and kinda insular and holds the political power while Toronto is much larger, more cosmopolitan and much more cultural.

There is the slim possibility of me moving to Ottawa for work reasons and I want to get a sense of the place from you Canucks here on the forum. Thanks!
Ottawa is nothing like Washington, aside from the fact that Ottawa is also a national capital. I'm biased though. I can't say I like Washington DC much, besides the museums and stuff.

Ottawa is a bit too small for me (compared to Toronto). It definitely doesn't have the range of New York or Toronto. However, it is quite a pretty city. Bilingual French and English. Extremely safe (unlike parts of Washington).

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 07:45 PM

Another for TO...

Apple Store Yorkdale is opening REAL soon...

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/jobs/

So who is lining up? Any word if mystery bags are on the menu for this particular Apple Store opening???

---

Thread Hijack...

We should make an Official Apple Store Role Call Thread.... hahha...

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 10:50 PM

Another for TO...

Apple Store Yorkdale is opening REAL soon...

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/jobs/

So who is lining up? Any word if mystery bags are on the menu for this particular Apple Store opening???

---

Thread Hijack...

We should make an Official Apple Store Role Call Thread.... hahha...
They're currently recruiting...I actually turned down an interview 'cause I'm staying for spring term at school tho...
BOT: Toronto is awesome though. I was home for last weekend and I walked from downtown to the Yonge/St. Clair area just to enjoy big city living for awhile again.
I can't think of a place where I feel unsafe in Toronto, but I have seen some shady incidents in my time.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 12:55 AM

well, i moved from toronto to the west coast (victoria) 14 1/2 years ago now...i would never move back....the few times business has taken me back there i have found the weather oppressive (humid in july, freezing in february), the air quality horrendous, and the "feel" of the city tense. i loved growing up in toronto in the 70's and 80's....was exciting and vibrant...but it just seems now to be trying so hard to be a "world class" city and never quite making the grade.

as for the west coast rain, well over here on the south island it is not anywhere as bad as downtown vancouver...we get maybe 65% of the precip that vancouver does, perhaps even less total per year than toronto the last couple years...add to that the mild winter, sunny summer, good paying job (for me anyway)...i am not about to leave!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Atriot:
every single person I know who moved to Toronoto actually moved away from Vancouver ended up coming back. One friend gave up a 70k job with company car and other stuff to move back for less then half of what he was making there.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 09:33 AM

Welcome to the Dominon of Ontario...

TDOT... the hip way to refer to Toronto. Originating from how Toronto has also been referred to as and spelled "T.O." (pronounced "T-Oh"). Thus the term TDOT (pronounced "T Dot" is how the city is somtimes referred to as it is a representative of how it is spelled i.e. TO (The "O" is the dot)

Moreover, another way to refer to Toronto is the "T-Dot-O-Dot" also referring to this spelling "T.O."

One thing for sure is that most other Canadian provinces dislike Ontario specifically Toronto for reasons beyond me. Jealously? Perhaps not....

My personal unofficial Toronto anthem...

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...edItemId=66493

We western folk refer to Toronto as Toronto and the rest of Ontario as GTA also know as Greater Toronto Area LOL.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Leonis:
My decision on whether to move to Toronto or not will be depending the outcome of the provincial election this May.

If that pro-unions, communist NDP wins the election I will then move to Toronto for sure.
Give me a break CAMPBELL is the biggest loser and have he has caused so much damage. They balanced the budget on NDP planning, they are also distroying everything. With the exception of Translink being a NDP mistake, The ferries, bc rail, soon bc hydro and ICBC, will allbe for ever screwed up if we keep the liberals in.

GO NDP!!!!!!!!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 09:42 AM

Well, to each his own. Like I said most people I know from the west coast want to move back to the west coast, and I think Vancouver is a great place.

However, Vancouver definitely doesn't have the metropolitan feel of Toronto, and I've always found it to be a bit insular in some ways. An example:

Eug: Hey, I'm moving to Toronto.
Person: Why? Couldn't you find a job here?
Eug: No the job market for me isn't great right now here, but I found a great position in Toronto.
Person: Oh, I'm sorry. That's too bad.

WTF?!? This happened to me TWICE, with two different Vancouverites. The sad part was they were completely serious and had absolutely no clue as to why I gave them the look.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:

Coldest Capital in the world
Small
Most of the Government is located there with it there BS
Its the High Tech capital of the country for tech jobs.

The real power is Toronto. He who wins Toronto wins the election for the country

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 09:56 AM

WTF?!? This happened to me TWICE, with two different Vancouverites. The sad part was they were completely serious and had absolutely no clue as to why I gave them the look.
That's because most Vancouverites can never fathom anyone leaving Lotusland

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 11:47 AM

Coldest Capital in the world
Small
Most of the Government is located there with it there BS
Its the High Tech capital of the country for tech jobs.

The real power is Toronto. He who wins Toronto wins the election for the country
Well, coming from Washington, DC the political BS can't be any worse than what we got here. I have been here since Clinton's first term and I've met enough politicians and government flunkies to develop a healthy disrespect for ALLof them, regardless of political affiliation. And I don't care if the political power resides in Toronto, I am pretty indifferent to all those trappings. I vote in every single election (local, state, and federal) but that is the extent of my political activism.

The high-tech sector is what I would be looking at for employment anyway so that is a good option for me. Plus you've got the Canadian Museum of Civilization there--I've spent the last 10 years working at the Smithsonian.

Being small is not such a big deal. Every since I was a little kid I have moved to someplace bigger each time I moved: Now I am ready to go in the opposite direction.

Thanks for all the info.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 05:31 PM

He who wins Toronto wins the election for the country
I don't believe this to be the case at all. Twenty-two of Ontario's 107 federal ridings are within Toronto; barely 7% of the national total. This city's power is economic, not political. As with all Canadian municipalities, Toronto punches below its weight in terms of real political clout.

Lots to do in T.O. Big, safe, clean modern city with tons of first class amenities.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 5, 2005, 06:26 PM

Sorry to burst in, but this thread reminds me of a Frank Zappa song: "I might be movin' to Montana soon." (The song is called "Montana.") "Just me and the pygmie pony, over by the dental floss bush."

Ok, thread interruption concluded. Thanks for your kind attention.

P.S., Toronto is THE most cosmopolitan place I've ever visited. Good luck if you do move there-let us know how things go.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 11:07 PM

Give me a break CAMPBELL is the biggest loser and have he has caused so much damage. They balanced the budget on NDP planning, they are also distroying everything. With the exception of Translink being a NDP mistake, The ferries, bc rail, soon bc hydro and ICBC, will allbe for ever screwed up if we keep the liberals in.

GO NDP!!!!!!!!
At the risk of getting this tossed in the political forum.....you have got to be kidding????? NDP planning? We are just getting over the damage done by the NDP - those people have no clue and like so many "lefties" never seem to catch on that it is not *their* money they are spending. We need 'em there in a stronger opposition role to keep the Provincial Liberals on their toes but NDP in power, no way...not yet.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Leonis
Senior User
Apr 6, 2005, 12:15 PM

I am no fan of the BC Liberals but at least it's much better than NDP.

NDP's victory on May 17th will mark the new dark age of this province.

Many of my clients and friends are already starting to making plan to leave BC if NDP wins the election.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 12:35 PM

So far the only NDP government I've been impressed with was in Saskatchewan.

Then again, I'm usually not impressed with governments in general.

Anyways, don't count on Ontario going NDP any time soon. The NDP were elected once, but they overspent by a long shot. They had the chance of shaking things up responsibly, but really went overboard. Since then the voters in this province don't generally consider them very seriously.

Overall, I consider Ontario to be similar in political leanings to the Globe and Mail. Socially centrist, but economically somewhat more conservative. BTW, centrist in Canadian terms is a little left leaning by US standards, IMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules