Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ARGHHHHHHH! Install Kernal Panic Powerbook.

ARGHHHHHHH! Install Kernal Panic Powerbook.
IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 09:58 PM

I have a stock 1.5Ghz, 15" Powerbook. I boot with the Tiger install DVD and get a kernel panic! ARGHHH.

It says something about no drive for powerbook5,4 or some such thing.
"This is fun, right?"

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 10:54 PM

I'm having the same problem on my Quicksilver tower PoweMac 800Mgz... I't seams to be and issue with the DVD drive...

Originally Posted by IonCable
I have a stock 1.5Ghz, 15" Powerbook. I boot with the Tiger install DVD and get a kernel panic! ARGHHH.

It says something about no drive for powerbook5,4 or some such thing.
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 09:03 AM

This is the only way to install if you get the Tiger Install Kernel Panic:

How to Install OS X from a Partition, External Firewire Drive, Second Computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode, or iPod

USB will not work

1. Mount your partition, external firewire drive, second computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode or iPod as a volume on your desktop and make sure you have at least 3 GB of free space available.
2. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. In the left window of Disk Utility, select the volume mounted on your desktop that you want to install from.
4. Click Restore tab (upper right of window).
5. Drag the icon (left window) of the volume you want to restore from to the Source field.
(.iso & .dmg are both disk image files)
6. Drag the icon (left window) of your partition, external firewire drive, second computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode or iPod to the Destination field. You have a choice to checkmark "Erase Destination" so that it will erase the volume first, before restoring the installer onto that volume. If you do not wish to erase the volume and you want to keep your existing files on that volume, do not checkmark the "Erase Destination" option. Erasing a volume results in a clean volume. Erase Destination is NOT necessary, just be sure you have at least three gigs of free space available on that volume first or errors will result.
7. Click the Restore button (bottom right).
8. Go to Finder and rename your "Destination Volume" to: Mac OS X Install DVD
9. Go to the Apple in the upper left corner of the menu bar at the top. Scroll down to System Preferences. In the fourth row down select Startup Disk. Select the Mac OS X Install DVD.
10. Reboot
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 01:03 PM

Has anyone comfirm that this works? ... installing from and external FW disk.
--

IonCable  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 09:39 PM

I used Target Disk mode to install. I started up my old pismo in target disk mode connected to my Powerbook, put the Tiger install in the Pismo DVD drive and went from there.
"This is fun, right?"

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by IonCable
I used Target Disk mode to install. I started up my old pismo in target disk mode connected to my Powerbook, put the Tiger install in the Pismo DVD drive and went from there.
But do you have Tiger installed on your PowerBook? or is not necessary?
--

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Betox
This is the only way to install if you get the Tiger Install Kernel Panic:

How to Install OS X from a Partition, External Firewire Drive, Second Computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode, or iPod

USB will not work

1. Mount your partition, external firewire drive, second computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode or iPod as a volume on your desktop and make sure you have at least 3 GB of free space available.
2. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. In the left window of Disk Utility, select the volume mounted on your desktop that you want to install from.
4. Click Restore tab (upper right of window).
5. Drag the icon (left window) of the volume you want to restore from to the Source field.
(.iso & .dmg are both disk image files)
6. Drag the icon (left window) of your partition, external firewire drive, second computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode or iPod to the Destination field. You have a choice to checkmark "Erase Destination" so that it will erase the volume first, before restoring the installer onto that volume. If you do not wish to erase the volume and you want to keep your existing files on that volume, do not checkmark the "Erase Destination" option. Erasing a volume results in a clean volume. Erase Destination is NOT necessary, just be sure you have at least three gigs of free space available on that volume first or errors will result.
7. Click the Restore button (bottom right).
8. Go to Finder and rename your "Destination Volume" to: Mac OS X Install DVD
9. Go to the Apple in the upper left corner of the menu bar at the top. Scroll down to System Preferences. In the fourth row down select Startup Disk. Select the Mac OS X Install DVD.
10. Reboot
Couldn't you just mount the disk you want to install onto in Target Disk Mode, then boot another Mac from the Tiger DVD and install onto the target mode machine? That seems like much less of a hassle than repartitioning the drive.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules