Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > crucial.com (Crucial memory)

crucial.com (Crucial memory)
Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2005, 02:01 PM

Can someone explain this to me...

I go to crucial.com and compare the 1GBx2 memory prices for both the new and older dual G5 2GHz...

New (4 slots)
184-pin DIMM DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64 $229.99

Older (8 slots)
184-pin DIMM DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64 $223.09

Shouldn't these be the same price? What's the diff?

sheer
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2005, 03:19 PM

The new 2.0 dual G5 is takes PCi cards and can only handle 4g of ram in a 4x1 config. The older Dual 2.0 takes PCi-X cards (like the new 2.3 and 2.7s) and handles 8g of ram in 8x1 config. I guess it's Apples way of providing a cheaper low-end model to the G5 dual range but having PCi card slots is also essential for a lot of, eg, musicians with money invested in PCi cards that are eseential to their work/workflow.

As far as the price goes, since they look like identical sticks, why not ask Crucial themselves. Nice price too, must say I'm tempted as that would give me 3.5g total.

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2005, 03:58 PM

They should be the same price. Certainly someone screwed this up in Crucial's system. Both G5's (new and old) take the same spec'd ram sticks. One just has more slots than the other.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

Chito
Senior User
Jun 2, 2005, 05:24 PM

The interesting thing to me here, and I posted this on Apple's discussion board, is that Apple specifies 2.5v ram and Crucial is selling 2.6v ram. All of the Crucial ram I've bought for my G5 is 2.5v. I wonder when they changed and with G5's being picky about ram, or so I've always heard, are there going to be problems?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

MIKX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2005, 12:16 PM

I live in Japan and have a late 2004 Rev. B DP 2 Ghz G5 with 3 gig of ram.

I was in a frenzy worried about getting extra ram for my G5 when I first bought it. Japan is a long way away from anywhere.

Then I noticed in the G5 manual in the "adding ram" section that there was amention about "JDEC" specification RAM.

I took a chance and went to a japanese PC mart and bought two 512mb JDEC certified RAM sticks.

They worked perfectly

I havesince done this twice more at different shops without any problems and even better, I get a better price than I would from an Apple re-seller.

Hope this has been informative.

MIKX

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 12:32 PM

Crucial is pretty weird. I'd suggest skipping thier "system selector" and just going straight to their generic RAM.

$219.99:
DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules