Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dont think I'm upgrading anymore

Dont think I'm upgrading anymore
kevs
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 01:21 PM

After this last upgrade to Tiger, I think i'm calling it a day.

Right after upgrade (which did with migration method), I have

spelling not working
permission issues

Done all disc warrior, repair permission etc. created, new user.

And the funny thing is, spotlight, great feature, I was on phone with Adobe other day, and we tried to find a plug in with it and it could not find it. It's not that important a feature it turns out.

So I'm no longer leaping to get every new OS.

And I have new technique for dealing with issues: start getting used to not having them.
No more spelling for me
no more start up items for me.

Becasue I'm also burnt out on having to re-install the OS for every feature that breaks.

Any other opinions welcome. thanks.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2005, 01:42 PM

It works for me, so I see two possibilities:

1) You are doing something wrong.

2) You had bad luck this once, and it's illogical to be afraid of it happening again.

If you don't want to upgrade anymore, that's no problem for me. But I don't see any good reason here.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 01:50 PM

Perfect for me too. no problems here. <-- just thought id post a positive - as everyone always just posts problems on forums, never when everything works well.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
I heard OS 9 is superior to OS X...

-t

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 01:59 PM

Ah I can't wait until the first Intel version is released.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2005, 02:04 PM

No significant issues here, either. Tiger r0x.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2005, 02:54 PM

Most of those sorts of problems are caused by third party apps that need to be upgraded for Tiger. My dad had horrible problems when he first installed Tiger, couldn't type into anything that used a spell check, that sort of thing. Turned out it was because he had installed Cocoa aSpell a long time ago. Getting rid of that deleted it.

Upgrades inevitably break things which are inevitably fixed with upgrades of their own. This is why most IT departments don't update OSs until they've made sure that everything will work.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 10:29 PM

spelling not working
permission issues

Done all disc warrior, repair permission etc. created, new user.

And the funny thing is, spotlight, great feature, I was on phone with Adobe other day, and we tried to find a plug in with it and it could not find it. It's not that important a feature it turns out.

So I'm no longer leaping to get every new OS.

And I have new technique for dealing with issues: start getting used to not having them.
No more spelling for me
no more start up items for me.

Becasue I'm also burnt out on having to re-install the OS for every feature that breaks.

Time to do an "Archive and Install" to clean out any corrupted files.

But personally, I've upgraded three machines so far - two with an archive & install, and one with an upgrade install - and no problems like yours anywhere.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 10:44 PM

Drama!

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2005, 12:41 AM

Erase and perform a custom install from your restore DVD / retail DVD. If you still have problems it's either hardware-related or 3rd-party software. Tiger kicks serious ass on my new iBook. Running flawlessly.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2005, 09:44 AM

Hi!
So I'm no longer leaping to get every new OS
...but sticking with the one that gives you problems instead?

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2005, 10:09 AM

spelling not working
permission issues
Yeah, I've had a lot of permissions issues with Tiger. I still do actually. My permissions just keep disappearing in the Finder until I relaunch the Finder. I think if Apple designed the Finder as a front end to some unix tools like Spotlight is, there would be less trouble with permissions.

Spelling works great for me though.

I have problems with Spotlight too. It has certain excluded folders where it doesn't search. That shouldn't affect plug-ins in general though. You can get Spotlight to reindex your drive by dragging your drive into the privacy panel and out again.

Now that I'm settled with Tiger, I'm ok but it did break compatibility with a lot of little apps I had and it's a hassle getting updates all the time. I think it's all very well releasing OSs every year but having to pay nearly £100 a time and suffering upgrade issues regularly is not. The justification you get is that OS X will have had 5 major releases for Windows' 1 release next year. But to me that means we've paid £500 for a system that will rival a system (which admittedly copies a lot of the features) for the price of a single OS X purchase.

Ok there's no way I'd prefer to use XP over that time but still more upgrades should mean cheaper upgrades.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2005, 10:28 AM

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Jun 30, 2005 at 11:54 AM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 12:16 PM

I've had big problems with Spotlight and indexing that I've only managed to fix by turning Spotlight off completely. I hope 10.4.2 fixes things.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 02:09 PM

thanks for cool replies.
As for spelling and vanishing log in items.
I talked to two Apple reps, and they both said that they have never heard of either issue before, and I'm the very first person to ever bring it up -- so I don't expect anyone else to have these problems I'm having.

But I'm taking in some of these comments here and will absorb them fully for my future Apple endeavors, thanks again.

cambro
Senior User
Jun 30, 2005, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by osxrules
My permissions just keep disappearing in the Finder until I relaunch the Finder
What exactly does this mean? Permissions don't just "disappear."

As others have noted (and you seem to be figuring out), kevs, your situation is just not normal. Although Tiger certainly has some annoying bugs, the problems you list are not among them.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 04:10 PM

Do you have any way to back up? An external HD? A friend's Mac in Target mode? Anything? If you do just back up do a fresh install and drag your user folder back in. Your problems will hopefully be gone.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by cambro
What exactly does this mean? Permissions don't just "disappear."
I mean that after using the Finder for a while, I sometimes come across folders that I have read/write access but the Finder doesn't let me write. When I check in the permissions under the finder, the owner, group etc. are all blank.

The permissions are correct as determined from the command line. On restarting the Finder, the permissions are suddenly back and I get write access back.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen all the time. What does happen all the time though is that as soon as I change permissions via the Finder, when I reopen the get info window, they have reverted back. On restarting the Finder, it appears that they were set just fine but the Finder Get Info window was wrong.

With a whole host of unix tools that do a fantastic job, does the Finder really need to be a separate app? Why not just call unix tools to get the right file size info, set permissions or to move items etc? It would probably be faster too.

alex627
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
I've had big problems with Spotlight and indexing that I've only managed to fix by turning Spotlight off completely. I hope 10.4.2 fixes things.
Spotlight hardly works at all for me. If it doesn't find all the files with my name in them or with the certain words than what is the use of it?

iTunes and podcasts?

Tiger? Glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Funny thing is all the media and press hoopla you would think the true Mac fans would be pooping their pants. Fact is I think most long-time OS X users and recent switchers are underwhelmed to say the least. I have had people complaining that they spent money on Tiger. If Microsoft released a new OS with this lack of new features Mac users would have a field day.

I for one will never purchase another version of OS X unless it comes with new hardware. If 10.5 is the snorefest that 10.4 is...

Dashboard? I'm not sure I've found a single use for it yet.

Don't believe the hype.

Don't get me wrong, we need Apple. I'm a shareholder. But they better get their shi-ites together on the computer front. Remember those? The computers? Apple Computer. Not Apple MP3 Player.

I'm pretty sick of all the iPod BS! I don't give a @#$@ about iPods!!! Yeah I have one! So what! No I don't need any accessories for it! It plays music. I know. I get it! And no I don't want to buy any of the low quality MP3s from the store either.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2005, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by osxrules
I mean that after using the Finder for a while, I sometimes come across folders that I have read/write access but the Finder doesn't let me write. When I check in the permissions under the finder, the owner, group etc. are all blank.

The permissions are correct as determined from the command line. On restarting the Finder, the permissions are suddenly back and I get write access back.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen all the time. What does happen all the time though is that as soon as I change permissions via the Finder, when I reopen the get info window, they have reverted back. On restarting the Finder, it appears that they were set just fine but the Finder Get Info window was wrong.
Most of us have probably seen the Get Info bug under Tiger at one time or another.
But I do believe that is simply a display issue. So, what are the pathnames of these
folders to which you are *actually* losing write access? (Are they perhaps items that
everyone already has? If not, maybe we could create them to confirm this behavior).
-HI-

Forum Links
Forum Rules