Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Startup Problems, New 60GB for 266, 3 Partions. I have never seen this.

Startup Problems, New 60GB for 266, 3 Partions. I have never seen this.
mrsld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2002, 12:20 PM

I have recently installed a new 60GB hard drive (WesternDigital) into my iMac 266 (256MB). Initialized the drive (Drive Setup 2.0.7) and partioned it into three volumes; 8GB for volume 1, 47GB for volume 2 and 300+ MG for volume 3.

I have the main startup drive as volume 1, volume 2 is for data storage and volume 3 is a small volume for Techtool to start from.

Here is my problem, if I set Startup Disk to either volume 2 or 3 and restart I get something I have not seen before. On Volume 2 I get a blank gray screen and nothing happens. On volume 3 I get a blank gray screen with a scrolling error message. I don't remember the error. But if it helps I can get it for you. The only way out is starting from the CD (the Startup Disk control panel still has last chosen setting) and rechoosing volume 1 and restarting.

All three volumes work fine when I startup from volume 1.

What I have done, I have run (on all three volumes) Disk First Aid 8.6.1, complete diagnostics with Techtool 3.0.6 (including Zaping PRAM and rebuilding desktop), Updated Hard disk drivers. The system folder on volume 2 is the same as on Volume 1.

I am stumped!! Any ideas? Need more info?

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2002, 03:55 PM

For those early iMac's the system folder had to be in the first 8gb of the hard drive or the boot ROM will not find it, as it doesn't know to look beyond that. I think it had something to do with the small hard drives that were available back then, with no larger ones in sight. This is what I have heard anyway. I partition to make sure that the startup folder in in the first 8GB and everything has always been ok for me.

val

mrsld  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by ValVashon:
<STRONG>For those early iMac's the system folder had to be in the first 8gb of the hard drive or the boot ROM will not find it, as it doesn't know to look beyond that. I think it had something to do with the small hard drives that were available back then, with no larger ones in sight. This is what I have heard anyway. I partition to make sure that the startup folder in in the first 8GB and everything has always been ok for me.

val</STRONG>
After looking around I have come up with the same thing also. Still unconfirmed though.

Now for the follow-up question. Can I make two (or more) partions on a large drive, all starting at under the 8GB limit (but maybe not residing entirely below that point), and be able to startup in both volumes?

Thanks for your reply.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by mrsld:
<STRONG>

After looking around I have come up with the same thing also. Still unconfirmed though.

Now for the follow-up question. Can I make two (or more) partions on a large drive, all starting at under the 8GB limit (but maybe not residing entirely below that point), and be able to startup in both volumes?

Thanks for your reply.</STRONG>
This is a confirmed issue, with an Apple KBase article on the topic.

To answer your follow up question,
The boot partition(s) have to be within the first 8gb. They can't be a 10gb partition with the system folder within the first 8, the partition has to be within the first 8 with 8gb as a max.

Now, you can put more than one system folder within that first 8gb- for example, OS 9, and OS X...

But I prefer to divide that up even, usually doing two 4gb partitions, or three 2.5 partitions.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

mrsld  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2002, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the information.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

I am a PC convert from the "Clone Years" and have never looked back.

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2002, 02:44 PM

If you are going to partition the hard drive for this machine, I would recommend tow 4gb partitions. I learned the hard way that many files get written to the same partition as your operating system, whether you know it or not. Most browser caches are on the same partition as your operating system, along with everything on the desktop and the trash. I have two 2gb partitions (os 9 and "future" osX) and the os9 one crashed due to my careless and clueless housekeeping. Another 2gb of space would have prevented this problem, I feel.

Val

Forum Links
Forum Rules