Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is there a (relatively easy) way to run linux on a mac?

Is there a (relatively easy) way to run linux on a mac?
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2005, 10:57 AM

Ok, so i dont really know much about linux (actually next to nothing) but i want to learn as much as i can. i have a ibook. i wanted to use a cd based distro of linux so as to not have to install it on my computer. is there a way to do this on a mac? if so is it free and how would i start?

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2005, 12:34 PM

I recently got interested in Linux too, and a Slashdot post tipped me off about Ubuntu. I'm downloading the Live CD right now to try in my old rev. b iMac (233 Mhz).

doucy2
Senior User
Jul 11, 2005, 12:40 PM

cool im downloading it now on my emac
ThinkMac.org

Mini Duo 1.66ghz 1.25gb

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2005, 01:39 PM

Hi!

There's another distribution called Yellow Dog Linux which many consider the best distribution for the Mac. I don't know if there's something like a live CD, though.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 03:11 PM

Mandrake (Mandriva now?) has a PPC variant as well

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2005, 07:48 PM

You don't really need to install Linux to begin learning about it--you have the Terminal application which will let you use all the standard Unix commands.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 08:04 PM

SuSE has/had a PPC version as well. I used that in the time between buying my Pismo and the release of OS X Public Beta. Once OS X was release, I didn't see the point of keeping a second *nix OS on the machine.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 08:23 PM

Play around in the terminal. Apple considers OS X to be a linux release, I'm not sure if I agree, but nonetheless... playing in the terminal is as *nix as it gets.

ImpulseResponse

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
Play around in the terminal. Apple considers OS X to be a linux release, I'm not sure if I agree, but nonetheless... playing in the terminal is as *nix as it gets.
What are you talking about? Mac OS X is definitely Unix (by almost anyone's definition), but it is not in any sense Linux and Apple has never even implied it is. It's based on on the BSD branch of the Unix family.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jul 11, 2005 at 08:46 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2005, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
What are you talking about? Mac OS X is definitely Unix (by almost anyone's definition), but it is not in any sense Linux and Apple has never even implied it is. It's based on on the BSD branch of the Unix family.
Shh, 'Linux' refers to a Unix with a GUI. It certainly has nothing to do with the kernel. There is nothing that distinguishes OS X from Linux other than Aqua.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 11, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Shh, 'Linux' refers to a Unix with a GUI. It certainly has nothing to do with the kernel. There is nothing that distinguishes OS X from Linux other than Aqua.
Nothing? F--.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jul 11, 2005, 09:30 PM

1. BSD is UNIX. Linux is a "unix like" OS.

2. The history of BSD - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opens...k/kirkmck.html

3. What Apple says about OS X - http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

4. History of Darwin - http://developer.apple.com/darwin/history.html

This is BSD baby!! Not Linux.

Linux is not just UNIX with an X11 interface. Gnome and KDE are Windowing environments, not an OS.

As to the OP, Ubuntu has many devotees now and there is lots of support to be found. YDL is the older distro and thus has more fans.

Play with both and see what you like best But you already have the best *nix around installed on your Mac. Using the Terminal and any *nix book, you can learn/do anything. Most people think the Window environment is the *nix, and that is not so.

Best of luck!
( Last edited by Chinasaur; Jul 11, 2005 at 09:47 PM. )
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2005, 09:45 PM

Er...nonhuman was pretty obviously joking.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
Apple does not consider OSX to be a Linux release. To set some records straight:

Unix, in the original sense, was an OS developed at AT&T in the late 1960s. Its claim to fame was a solid, stable core with good underlying technology and easy programmability. It was invented by the same people who invented the famous C programming language, who used it to write their operating system.

The source to Unix was made available from the start, but it was not Open-Source in the sense that we know the term today. In time, however, several different "flavors" of Unix developed. There were two main flavors: System V, which was a late revision of the AT&T version, and the Berkeley Standard Distribution, often abbreviated to BSD, developed at the college of the same name. It's worth noting that BSD was eventually Open-Sourced in the way we currently think of things. In the process it forked off several other flavors, notably FreeBSD (the most popular version), NetBSD (which has been ported to many platforms), and OpenBSD (which has the best reputation for security).

Now, having defined these, let us consider a kernel: a set of low-level routines which control how the computer interacts with the hardware it's running on. System V and BSD have their own kernels. Most Unix kernels are based on one of these. However, neither Linux nor OSX is.

Linux is its own kernel. It was inspired by a kernel called Minix, which was itself based on System V, but Linux shares no code with these. Because it is not a descendant of these kernels, it cannot properly be called Unix, nor has this ever actually been a goal of the Linux developers. They mimic Unix in many ways because it provides a convenient base to work from, but it does its own thing in many cases. Still, however, it is "close enough" that most code written for Linux will run on most versionf of Unix, and vice versa.

Mach was a specialized kind of kernel created at Carnegie-Mellon University. It was intended to be used for research more than anything else. The architecture is nifty in many ways, but performance has been known to suffer. But anyway, at one point in its development, Mach integrated a lot of code from BSD, and when used in this way it becomes a true Unix variant. xnu, the kernel behind Darwin and therefore OSX, is a descendant of this kernel.

Now, one final thing: Unix has never had its own GUI, per se. Many GUI systems have been built on top of it, however. Two of the most famous are the X Window System and Display PostScript. The X Window System, sometimes abbreviated to X11 (being in its eleventh version), is the most common system on Linux and many flavors of Unix, and a version of it comes with OSX as X11.app. Display PostScript, meanwhile, is a descendant of Adobe's PostScript printing language. Quartz, the GUI behind OSX, is a descendant of Display PostScript.

So the point of this? OSX is not Linux. Linux is most definitely not "Unix with a GUI". Linux is not Unix, but is close enough that it can sometimes be hard to tell the difference.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2005, 10:25 PM

Linux≠Superman
Mac OS X≠Clark Kent
Aqua≠Glasses

Forum Links
Forum Rules