Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ATI 9600 Pro 256MB PC & Mac Edition coming

ATI 9600 Pro 256MB PC & Mac Edition coming
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2005, 01:51 PM

From Accelerate Your Macintosh

ATI guys say:

That's our brand new mainstream product. PC & Mac compatible. With support for Apple's 30" display on both PC and Mac. Ships with Mac and Windows software in the box and should support Linux with driver download.
It has a special ROM structure and the ability to dual-boot designed into it.

It's gone out to production and boxes should be in the process of being packed. It's been announced to the channel in preparation for a public announcement. Stores aren't supposed to be listing it yet in any publications though. Web content has been prepared for it and will be live when it's officially announced.
It's AGP 4x and for Windows I believe requires a minimum of Windows 2K (XP SP2 recommended). For the Mac I think we're supporting 10.3.x minimum (Tiger recommended)... "

So you are going to be able to drive the Apple 30 inches even with an 'old' PowerMac, how cool is that?

Agent69
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 02:14 PM

Announced as I am selling my MDD. Figures.
Agent69

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2005, 03:04 PM

Under $200! This does sound good.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 9, 2005, 05:29 PM

Color me impressed.

Here I was, thinking that ATI had given up on the Mac retail market. This is good news, though not the greatest of news since this card will perform slower than the 9800 Pro which you can already find from a variety of places for around $200-225.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 09:34 AM

Hi!

I wonder if any Windows users would by such a card if they can get a Radeon 9800 Pro for little more than half the price.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 10:33 AM

From Buy.com:

RADEONĂ— 9600 PRO PC & MAC EDITI 256MB AGP - 100-435060

Our Price: $196.99
Temporarily Sold Out.

Might have to pick me up one of these. And who cares about Windows users?

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 10:57 AM

How would this card fare against the 9600 XT that came in my G5 dual?
It sounds like a similar card but with more memory. Does anyone have the details?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2005, 11:24 AM

The only two things that separate any 9600 series card are clock speeds and memory. So, it'd probably outperform your 9600 XT in a few things, because of the larger memory. Once overclocked to 9600 XT speeds though, it'd be better on the whole.

Bottom line is that it really isn't worth the upgrade unless you're driving large displays.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Agent69
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Here I was, thinking that ATI had given up on the Mac retail market.
Once Apple switches to Intel processors there won't be anymore "Mac specific" cards, since they should work out of the box (provided drivers are available). Personally, I think this will be a real boon to PowerMac users.
Agent69

Al G
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
Personally, I think this will be a real boon to PowerMac users.
Big understatement.
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2005, 10:57 PM

I'll reserve my stance on the future of Mac video cards until we know exactly how proprietary Apple can make an Intel Mac.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2005, 11:26 PM

From a PC perspective those cards look like 3 years old now. AGP 4x as maximum is a rare thing on an AGP PC card (they scale down 8,4,2 pending on the mobo) .. practically all are now 8x, PCI Express or the old PCI.

I bought last month an ATI x700 Pro for my PC gaming rig and sincerely didn't saw a 9600 or 9800 on display. Those are considered a past generation video card, then again it doesn't mean they are "old". They do in fact perform well in pc games. As a reference my x700 cost me 199 USD. Having said that, I do not think it is a good deal for a pc user, since that card has a price of a current generation video card with specs of an older one.

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2005, 12:32 AM

Once Apple switches to Intel processors there won't be anymore "Mac specific" cards, since they should work out of the box (provided drivers are available). Personally, I think this will be a real boon to PowerMac users.
Not true. The situation will remain as it is now. ATI's workload will likely increase because they will have to perform QA for 2 platforms.

danman
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 11:54 AM

I agree. As it is now, AGP on the PC is AGP on the Mac platform. The hardware is virtually the same. Drivers will still be completely different as they are written for different OS's.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 04:49 PM

The situation may or may not change with mac video cards depending on the firmware apple decides to use in the end...

BIOS: same selection of video cards as PCs
OF: same selection as currently available (you'd be able to stick a current mac video card into an intel mac)
EFI: who knows.

That's what it comes down to
Aloha

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by polendo
From a PC perspective those cards look like 3 years old now. AGP 4x as maximum is a rare thing on an AGP PC card (they scale down 8,4,2 pending on the mobo) .. practically all are now 8x, PCI Express or the old PCI.

I bought last month an ATI x700 Pro for my PC gaming rig and sincerely didn't saw a 9600 or 9800 on display. Those are considered a past generation video card, then again it doesn't mean they are "old". They do in fact perform well in pc games. As a reference my x700 cost me 199 USD. Having said that, I do not think it is a good deal for a pc user, since that card has a price of a current generation video card with specs of an older one.
But as you know... the 9800 is still well within current generation's high-performance range.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2005, 04:36 AM

You can get a 9800 pro and flash it over for a lot less..
http://www.directron.com/sa9800pro128mb.html

Granted that, the flashing process is still one with risks, it's usually going to go over just fine but some people aren't fine with that one.
Aloha

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by elvis2000
But as you know... the 9800 is still well within current generation's high-performance range.
I beg to differ. Don't get me wrong, the 9800 was considered a beast of a video card. I wouldn't question it if we were in 2003. Two generations have passed already and video card reviews (at least in Anandtech) do not even list the benchmarks of the 9800 series cards. For example the 9800 (pro 256) core clock speed and RAM clock speed are going at 380/700 mhz respectively with 8 pixel pipelines. The current generation of ATI high performance video cards are hitting 520/1120 with 16 pixel pipelines. If you pc game it means alot, otherwise its a waste of money.

By the way, I'm talking here about desktop PC video cards.

Mac_happy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 01:40 PM

ATI says they have never heard about this card? the have 9600 Pro card that is 1-dvi and 1-vga connections but the 30"apple display requires 2-dvi connects?

So whats up? Are you blowing hot air here?

Originally Posted by angelmb
From Accelerate Your Macintosh

ATI guys say:

That's our brand new mainstream product. PC & Mac compatible. With support for Apple's 30" display on both PC and Mac. Ships with Mac and Windows software in the box and should support Linux with driver download.
It has a special ROM structure and the ability to dual-boot designed into it.

It's gone out to production and boxes should be in the process of being packed. It's been announced to the channel in preparation for a public announcement. Stores aren't supposed to be listing it yet in any publications though. Web content has been prepared for it and will be live when it's officially announced.
It's AGP 4x and for Windows I believe requires a minimum of Windows 2K (XP SP2 recommended). For the Mac I think we're supporting 10.3.x minimum (Tiger recommended)... "

So you are going to be able to drive the Apple 30 inches even with an 'old' PowerMac, how cool is that?

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 15, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mac_happy
ATI says they have never heard about this card? the have 9600 Pro card that is 1-dvi and 1-vga connections but the 30"apple display requires 2-dvi connects?

So whats up? Are you blowing hot air here?
The 30" display requires what is called a dual-link DVI connection. It is not two physical connections to the card.

Al G
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 03:57 PM

It's a new version of the 9600 that hasn't been released yet. The people you spoke to at ATI either don't know about it or have been told not to talk about it until it's officially released.

And as has already been pointed out, dual-link DVI is a single DVI port which has extra internal connections which aren't wired in regular DVI. One port and one cable but it's different than regular DVI.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2005, 04:49 PM

A better analogy for "Dual link" DVI is like this:

Regular DVI = Half Link = Not all the pins on the DVI port are used for anything
Dual Link DVI = Full Link = all the pins on the DVI Port are used for something.

Simple nuff
Aloha

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2005, 07:08 AM

Dream on. I don’t know where people are getting this crap from - did Apple say that, did ATI say that? No. Everyone seems to think that because Apple may use Intel processors then everything will be level in the PC world, all the periferals will just work. Think again, moble phones and hand-helds use Intel chips, but they can't run these cards either!

Also, look at what is happening right now with the Intel development machines that Apple is putting out to developers. It should have been obvious to anyone right from the start that these boxes are just PCs in a G5 case. Apple isn't going to build custom machines just so it can test a new OS, it's been testing on standard PCs all the way along.

But, if they were just going to release standard PCs why are they going to take the best part of two years to do it? Because they aren't. Apple will release it's own specific boards, that will most likely be as different to PC boards now as the G5 is

Agent69
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 10:24 AM

If you look very closely at my statement, I said "should work". There is no reason, at this time, to think standard PC graphics cards will not work in a Mactel but since there is a possibility they won't, I said "should work". And your moble phone point is idiotic since moble phones are likely to use Intel ARM processors, not x86 processors, and they do not have PCIe or AGP slots in any case.

Get off your high horse.
Agent69

DrBoar
Senior User
Aug 16, 2005, 03:43 PM

So we are going to pay the price of a midrange card like the nvidia 6600GT to get what now is alow end gaming card like the 9600. Have we not have similar deals before
As a pure mac card for 130-150 dollars it would not be to bad...

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 04:31 PM

Thought.

How does the 9600 pro compare with the 9600 XT Pro?
I wasn't initially excited since I have already have a 128 meg 9600 XT in my G5.
Is there substantive improvements here?

I wish it was easier to figure out which cards were faster than the others
since the numbering scheme ATI and nVidia use aren't exactly intuitive.

It's obvious the X800 and 850 are the higher-end gaming cards to get but

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2005, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by DrBoar
So we are going to pay the price of a midrange card like the nvidia 6600GT to get what now is alow end gaming card like the 9600. Have we not have similar deals before
As a pure mac card for 130-150 dollars it would not be to bad...

Exactly Doc.. very well written. From a PC side doesn't make sense to buy this card, since a current generation mid range video card can be found for that amount of money.

Al G
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2005, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Clive
did Apple say that, did ATI say that? No. Everyone seems to think that because Apple may use Intel processors then everything will be level in the PC world, all the periferals will just work.
Apple didn't officially say MacIntels would use regular PC video cards. They haven't officially said much of anything detailing future systems--they never do until they're released. However, some Apple engineers did say that. Obviously, those engineers don't officially speak for Apple and certainly don't have the final say in how things are done, not to mention lots of things could change along the way.

But, the biggest obstacle to PC video cards in a Mac--the endian difference between x86 and PowerPC--is going away when Macs switch to Intel. Of course we will still need Mac drivers, but at least ROM flashing monkey business to reverse byte order will no longer be necessary.

metallimacman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
Thought.

How does the 9600 pro compare with the 9600 XT Pro?
I wasn't initially excited since I have already have a 128 meg 9600 XT in my G5.
Is there substantive improvements here?

I wish it was easier to figure out which cards were faster than the others
since the numbering scheme ATI and nVidia use aren't exactly intuitive.

It's obvious the X800 and 850 are the higher-end gaming cards to get but

Other than clock speeds (XT is clocked faster btw) and memory size they don't differ much performance wise. There would be no reason to go from a 128 MB 9600 XT to this 256 MB 9600 Pro unless you need to run a 30" Apple Cinema Display. Otherwise, would be a waste of your money and time. Only a 9800 Pro or x800 XT would give you a noticable game perfomance increase over your current card.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 09:19 PM

Unless the Mac retail 9600 Pro is actually clocked at the PC retail 9600 Pro speeds. Anyone else remember the thread where folks discovered the 9600 XTs were clocked at the same speed the PC 9600 Pros were while the OEM Mac 9600 Pros were clocked significantly slower?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 11:29 AM

It's officially announced now:

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon96...mac/index.html

According to the product comparison page
http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/

The Mac Retail Radeon 9600 Pro is clocked at 270 Memory/400 GPU. The PC Radeon 9600 Pro is clocked at 300 Memory/400 GPU. I don't recall the specs for the Mac OEM Radeon 9600 Pro.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2005, 02:46 PM

Will this new 9600 work in Quicksilvers? This would be a nice upgrade to my current 9000 in my dual 800.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2005, 03:49 PM

Yes.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 19, 2005, 04:14 PM

Nice to see, and it's nice that it's fanless, but it's still an old GPU. One can only hope that ATI will do this for future top end releases too. (Apple will have to incorporate PCIe into their Power Macs though of course.)

BTW, here is a review: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Mac & PC Edition: One Card for All

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 04:15 PM

Seeing that at the time my G5 2.5 was made, it was a top of the line machine
wasn't the 9600 XT that came with it already including 30" monitor support? That
was my understanding anyway.

The extra 128 megs of memory would be nice for large-ish images but not
imperative. Humm...

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 05:31 PM

ATI Radeon 9600 XTs could not run the 30" displays. No Dual link DVI. The first display that could handle the 30" ACD at the native resolution was the GeForce 6800 series which came out after the dual 2.5s started shipping. The first ATI card which could run it was the Radeon X800 XT.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2005, 06:57 PM

I will probably get one for my MDD, then I need the $99 DVI-to-ADC adapter as well.

BTW, I'm using the stock Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB right now.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2005, 07:13 PM

Seeing that at the time my G5 2.5 was made, it was a top of the line machine
wasn't the 9600 XT that came with it already including 30" monitor support? That
was my understanding anyway.
It's the OEM Radeon 9650 that runs a 30" monitor.

News is that prices are going to come down. The X800 is supposed to come down in price by $100 US according to http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08/19/ati/index.php
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2005, 02:48 PM

Yes.
Holy crap. Sign me up! I think I'll pick one up when I get a little extra cash. Of course, I'll need a new monitor, too, but that's cool. I sure got screwed with this 17" CRT ADC.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2005, 04:10 PM

Nah, I think it's probably the most beautiful monitor Apple ever designed. I never had luck of getting to own one, you have.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 05:09 PM

Nah, I think it's probably the most beautiful monitor Apple ever designed. I never had luck of getting to own one, you have.
I agree

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2005, 05:34 PM

Oh, I agree. I think it looks great. It is indeed a sweet monitor. I'm just restricted as to which cards I can use it with on my current Mac. But know that I can connect it to a future X850 XT Power Mac? That's heartening, at least.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 11:53 AM

I think that the 17" CRT ADC is a beautiful monitor. I bought one along with a G4 Cube. They were beautiful together.
Agent69

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 10:41 AM

X-800 going down $100? That I would be interested in.

gangster
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2005, 12:04 AM

X-800 going down $100? That I would be interested in.
Is the x800xt actually dropping another $100? I see it at Buy.com for about $360 using a coupon discount, and this is almost $100 lower than Newegg. Did the price drop already?

And...the 9800pro 256mb is $210 after the stilll current $50 rebate.

I don't get the excitement over the 9600 pro dual platform edition, not for almost $200 and compared to the above. What are the core/mem speeds on this 9600 pro as well? This varied ALOT on the pc versions and made quite a difference.
( Last edited by gangster; Aug 23, 2005 at 02:43 AM. )

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 02:26 AM

Yes, the price has dropped on the X800 already. It's just taking awhile for some stores to readjust their prices.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2005, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by gangster
I don't get the excitement over the 9600 pro dual platform edition, not for almost $200 and compared to the above.
Well, I guess the main reason is being able to attach a 30 inches to an 'old' PowerMac AGP 4X, X800 XT is not G4 friendly. Of course if you have a G5 you better get the more powerful AGP 8X card.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2005, 11:41 PM

It looks like ATI doesn't offer any trade-up program for the R9600 Pro card.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 04:13 PM

Either way, it's got to be better than the default Nvidia 5200 that shipped with my G5...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

gangster
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2005, 06:17 PM

now i get it, G4 support!

Forum Links
Forum Rules