Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight overriding my hotkey settings

Spotlight overriding my hotkey settings
Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2005, 08:32 PM

Ok, this thing is beginning to annoy me, so I hope someone here has a solution.

Basically, I've been using a piece of freeware called X-Tunes as my iTunes controller for several years now, and I've configured it to activate when I press Command+Space. I'm used to it activating with Command+Space. Anything else...no.

Well, Tiger came along and decided that Spotlight deserved that key combination more. Simple fix: reset the Spotlight kotkey to Ctrl+Space, problem solved. Or so I thought.

I recently created a new user on my computer so that I could run some new software on a clean account. Everything seemed fine at first, but then I noticed that whenever I log into the new account then go back to my main account that Spotlight has retaken the Command+Space hotkey for its own use.

I have to go into the Spotlight preferences and reset it back to Control+Space each and every time.

Does anyone have any idea why Spotlight does that or how I can fix it? Many thanks in advance.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

mduser63
Oct 11, 2005, 01:41 AM

The same thing happens to me on my PowerBook when I log out and back in (or restart). I use cmd-shift-space for Spotlight because cmd-space is my Quicksilver shortcut. I find this bug really annoying. Haven't been able to find a workaround or fix.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

Anubis IV  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2005, 05:22 PM

So no one has any suggestions? I can't delete some preferences file or something to fix it?

swamibooba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2005, 12:08 PM

Yeah, Cmd-Space is the kind of key sequence that's always been reserved. For a long time it was open, and any developer could write to that sequence, but Apple would warn that it could be used by the system at any time.

And now it's reserved for Spotlight; so unless there's some weird haxie I don't know about, it might be time to find another key combination.
there is suffering; it is caused by attachment to desire; it ends by ending attachment; freedom from suffering is through the eightfold path.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2005, 02:13 PM

what about turning off the Spotlight keyboard shortcuts in the Keyboard system prefpane?

Anubis IV  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton
what about turning off the Spotlight keyboard shortcuts in the Keyboard system prefpane?
One of the first things I tried.

Regarding the reservation of the hotkey, if Apple didn't provide a way of reconfiguring it I wouldn't have a complaint, but the fact that they did provide a way to change it in the System Preferences and it doesn't seem to stick is what upsets me.

poocat
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 08:16 PM

This is really annoying to me as well. I understand the conflict, I changed a hotkey to insure I wouldn't have a conflict, and it doesn't stick. The default isn't the problem, the fact that a restart sometimes resets my preferences is.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2005, 02:55 AM

Mine just worked, I went to the spotlight pannel, set it to F1 insetad of command space. Worked fine .

Anubis IV  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2005, 08:27 PM

Well, I can do that, but once I log out and log back in after going to another account, it seems that it doesn't like to stick to those settings.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2005, 09:19 AM

Started happening to me since the last update (previously Spotlight/Quicksilver shortcuts would stick after restart/logout). I am not sure what is causing the problem, but turning off spotlight keyboard shortcuts, deleting spotlight preferences and redoing all that multiple times doesn't fix the problem. So for now spotlight has the combo.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

artiefufkin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 11:22 PM

I had the same problem that Spotlight would forget my new keyboard shortcuts. I finally tracked down the conflict to the "Input Menu" tab of the "International" System Preference Pane. It has the same keyboard shortcuts as Spotlight, and for some reason this causes Spotlight to forget the keyboard changes.

On one of my Macs the "Input menu shortcuts" area was disabled, but was not on the Mac I had the problem with. So I turned on another Keyboard layout in the scrolling checkbox area above, and then turned it off. That disabled the shortcut area and Spotlight remembered my change after the next reboot.

(The Input Menu also activates, so turn that off if not needed.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules