Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 12" battery fuxxored?

Powerbook 12" battery fuxxored?
sheer
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 05:56 PM

OK, someone help confirm what's happening here (ie someone who's had the same experience).

PB 12", 768mb, rev B, 1ghz.
It's just under 2 years old. Shipped with Jaguar, now running Tiger. After installing Tiger I noticed the battery would run down a bit quick for my liking, but you just get on with things. It's now at the point now where somewhere between 50-60% charge remaining it just switches off. When I restart (using mains power) it's at 0% charge. So basically the battery's had it, right?

TIA.

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 05:58 PM

I have the exact same powerbook and have the exact same battery issue, goes from 40% charge to 0% in a few seconds. I think we need to just buy new batteries. I think this is the result of one of the cells in the battery going bad.
12.1" Powerbook G4

sheer  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 06:42 PM

Thanks for replying tho

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by sheer
OK, someone help confirm what's happening here (ie someone who's had the same experience).

So basically the battery's had it, right?

TIA.
I'd say yes. I have a Revision A 12-in PB and had to replace the battery at about that point -- maybe a little less. (By the way, I also had to replace the power cord at just under two years -- wires got frayed.)

robisconfusedd
Oct 26, 2005, 10:07 PM

dang mine does the same thing, and i have the exact same pbook too dude!! mines worse though mine will get to 70% left and die, it rarely lasts more than 10 mins....

what is a good place to buy a battery for these things? is there cheaper out there beside's apples website or is that the best bet?
BimmerForums - the forum for the ultimate driving machine.

::12" of pure joy::
1Ghz G4, 1.25GB ram

sheer  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 03:04 AM

I've looked on eBay and seen them for £48, which is around half the Apple Store price. One I looked at offered 1 years warranty too, but as ever with eBay, caveat emptor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules