Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 6+

iTunes 6+
gdw-mac
Dec 17, 2005, 02:34 AM

Maybe I am goofy, but I have a question about iTunes. I have imported songs into the library, now I want to organize them into difrent foldres. Now my question is how do I do this. I tried makeing a new folder, but when I choose the songs in the main library list and drag them to the folder that I just created they do not go there.

Please help

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 02:36 AM

They do go into the playlist you made (unless you created a smart playlist), but they also stay in the Library. The Library always contains all your tracks.

maccrazy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 02:40 AM

You need to put a playlist inside the folder.
maccrazy.net - Your
news, rumors and forums....

gdw-mac  (op)
Dec 17, 2005, 11:12 AM

OK I see I had to use the litle "+" sign at the bottom, I was useing the drop menu, new folder, then trying to move them there.

Thanks all

Next question then, is what are the folders for if you can not put things into them?

George

mduser63
Dec 17, 2005, 11:52 AM

Folders are for organizing playlists, not tracks. You can put tracks in a playlist, then playlists in a folder, but you can't directly put tracks into a folder.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

alexander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 12:21 AM

You could make some playlists of certain bands, then stick them in folders based on their genre, or something like that.

jmault
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 05:27 PM

I am not sure if this is the right board to put this discussion so please do not get mad just let me know if this is incorrect. This question is when I transfer music from my mac to my ipod how does it organize the music on my ipod? Do it organize it the exact way it looking like in my iTunes music folder, meaning that I would have to go into the folder and organize that way I want to with new folders and all?

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by jmault
I am not sure if this is the right board to put this discussion so please do not get mad just let me know if this is incorrect. This question is when I transfer music from my mac to my ipod how does it organize the music on my ipod? Do it organize it the exact way it looking like in my iTunes music folder, meaning that I would have to go into the folder and organize that way I want to with new folders and all?
This should probably be a new thread in the iPod forum. That said, the iPod has a different organization scheme (if you can even call it that). It puts the audio files in numbered folders with no apparent organization. You can find the files by accessing the iPod in disk mode. They're in a subfolder (I can't remember the subfolder's name) of a hidden folder called iPod_control. If you move the files around, I would expect the iPod's library to lose track of them...so I suggest leaving things as they are.

Forum Links
Forum Rules