Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Floppy disks on a mac!

Floppy disks on a mac!
jamesl
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 05:56 PM

Hi

We have a set up of networks os 10.3 emacs running at my workplace. However, some colleges are looking for a simple way yto transfer work to and from home. On a pc, the answer would ba a floppy disk, but macs dont come with floppy drives anymore.

If i were to purchase an external usb floppy drive, would a mac be able to write to floppy disk, inserted to this drive, if it had been formatted on a pc, and contained pc files?

Thanks

york28
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 06:27 PM

Yes, it should.

You might want to investigate a USB thumb drive, which will probably cost around what a floppy drive does, and be more convenient (and larger.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 06:59 PM

Definetly go with the USB thumbstick, I've seen ads for them going as low as $15 for 64MB, way better than floppy discs.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Jadey
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 07:11 PM

I have an external USB floppy, as I have 1 client who still brings me work on a floppy, and gives me enough work that it was worth it to buy. However, it is extremely slow. Much slower than a tradtional, internal floppy drive, which you'd think would be impossible.

I'd recommend the USB thumb drive also.

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Sep 8, 2004, 10:21 PM

definitely thumb drive. But if you must have a floppy drive, I have a SmartDisk USB external and it works well with my Macs. Wal-Mart sells them. Perhaps that is a solution.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2004, 12:11 AM

Can't they just email the small files? Or set up an FTP site.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2004, 12:17 AM

why not use a cd-rw ? most machines have them by now, and it's a much more viable option to the usb devices, or floppy.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by anim8ing:
why not use a cd-rw ? most machines have them by now, and it's a much more viable option to the usb devices, or floppy.
Not really, always having a blank disk on you in a case just for a 1 meg file doesn't seem worth it.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2004, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by jamesl:
Hi

We have a set up of networks os 10.3 emacs running at my workplace. However, some colleges are looking for a simple way yto transfer work to and from home. On a pc, the answer would ba a floppy disk, but macs dont come with floppy drives anymore.
Email: The number one reason floppies are dying.

If it'll fit on a floppy, you can mail it.

jamesl  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2004, 10:59 AM

Hi, thanks for all the responses.

The problem with emailing the files in is that seveal poeple dont have access to email at home, or the internet. Thum drives are also expensive for them to have to buy,. so floppeys are still the ansxwer really.

Basically, would a floppy drive read and write mac and pcs files to the same disk, without any special formatting?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2004, 11:13 AM

Basically, would a floppy drive read and write mac and pcs files to the same disk, without any special formatting?
The Mac should be able to read and write PC-formatted floppies with no problems - albeit slowly.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2004, 12:15 PM

What ^he^ said.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

benhamtroll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 12:35 PM

Having worked in higher-ed with plenty of folks who use floppies on a regular basis, I recommend that you strongly encourage them to use something else. I've had plenty of experiences with professors (and staff) saving things to their floppy directly, only to have the floppy crap out on them. Floppies are notoriously unstable, and people WILL lose data, it's just a matter of time. Let them know this.

Of course, if these people don't have internet access at home, the chance are that they are using computers old enough to not have a USB port for a thumb-stick.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Sep 10, 2004, 12:25 AM

Hi, thanks for all the responses.

The problem with emailing the files in is that seveal poeple dont have access to email at home, or the internet. Thum drives are also expensive for them to have to buy,. so floppeys are still the ansxwer really.

What you need is to have DOS formatted (i.e. PC) floppy disk, and you can store both PC and Mac files on the same disk. Make sure you have 1.44Mb high-density disk, as those USB external floppy disk drive cannot read the old 800Kb Mac double density disk.

aljawad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2004, 07:21 AM

MacOSX still recognizes floppies? I didn�t know that!

OK, I still have the floppy drive in my G3 beige � which is a totally different beast today than when it was born 7 years ago with the added G4/USB/Firewair/SATA components, and it runs Jaguar nicely. Problem is, I can�t find any floppies to test it! I still have a few 20+ years old 5� floppies that I used with my first Apple/computer: the ][, I keep them for nostalgia really!

Anyhow, I add my vote for a thumb/USB memory unit.
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell."

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2004, 12:38 PM

Using floppies is just begging for pain. There's really no excuse for using them anymore.

USB thumb drive or email. Tell whoever it is to join the rest of us in the 21st century.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 01:58 PM

a CD-R can hold a LOT of floppy-sized sessions.

besides, floppies are Craptacular�. They had their day. In fact, they lasted much longer than they should have, if only for lack of an accepted standard for replacement.

Email is best for small files. Thumbdrives are convenient for lots of small files or a few larger files... depends on the size. CD-Rs and CD-RWs are good for fairly large files. iPods and external HDs are best for 700MB+ transfers.

floppies make a good excuse for not having your term paper done ("I put it on a floppy... 'nough said." |...| "oh, okay, I understand"), and they aren't good for much else.

Zip drives are equally dead, although not quite as useless.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 02:11 PM

This thread makes me wonder if freelancers are STILL getting SyQuest cartridges in the mail.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 07:01 PM

At least in my school floppies are dead. I have turned in papers on USB flash drives with no problem.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 09:45 PM

if your school has a little money, buy some cheap 16mb thumb drives in bulk, like 50 of them, and sell them for $5-10 each whatever makes a small profit.

That'll do it
Aloha

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 09:54 PM

Thum drives are also expensive for them to have to buy,. so floppeys are still the ansxwer really.
Expensive? They must be on the poverty line if they think $20AU (~$15US) is expensive for a drive that will be far more reliable than a floppy...not to mention the extra capacity.

Depending on the number of staff - it may be easier to buy the ones who like floppy's USB drives. If there are only a few stuck in the last decade, then it will still be cheaper to buy them USB drives, than even 1 USB floppy drive.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by aljawad:

OK, I still have the floppy drive in my G3 beige � which is a totally different beast today than when it was born 7 years ago with the added G4/USB/Firewair/SATA components, and it runs Jaguar nicely. Problem is, I can�t find any floppies to test it! I still have a few 20+ years old 5� floppies that I used with my first Apple/computer: the ][, I keep them for nostalgia really!

The built in floppy drives on older Mac don't work under OSX. The only way to use one is with a USB floppy drive.

Go with the USB Pen/Thumb/Flash (whichever name you call it). Floppies are made sooo cheap these days. High failure rate and easily broken isn't a good thing when it comes to important data.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Sep 14, 2004, 03:09 AM

Well, didn't want to say that, but otherwise people would keep on saying things that doesn't help jamesl.

Have a look carefully on jamesl's original post

Hi

Thanks
OK, it is jamesl's work and his/her colleagues. So there might be work restriction or budgetry reasons behind why floppy solution has to be used (there might have heaps of blank floppies available, but cannot fund the thumb drive for each employee, just an example).

Bear in mind that jamesl's probably is not the boss of his/her work, so he/she can only implement what his/her boss permits.
( Last edited by veryniceguy2002; Sep 14, 2004 at 05:52 AM. )

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 04:05 AM

Well the more expensive but more convenient for your collegues would simply be to pick up some USB floppy drives. Several companies make them and I've seen them advertised in Mac catalogues as well as a few in Apple Stores. Unless you need three floppy drives running at the same time I'd suggest you just pick up one and either share it among the eMacs or better yet designate one eMac as your input eMac. This system you can load up with an AV program to scan incoming files before they're distributed to the other computers. This is essential if you've got Windows PCs on your network or give files to other folks. The eMacs won't be susceptible to the viruses but other Windows systems will.

However you might want to think about setting up an FTP server or teach people how to e-mail files. Floppies made anymore get really unreliable really quickly. A couple years ago floppies might survive for a while but new ones made have a large number of defects and tend to fail miserably. Do what you can to get these people online in some form or another. If nothing else you can set up a dial-in server using a Mac running OSX and a little Unix chicanery or an Airport base station with a built-in modem. Using a dial-in server it would be possible for them to dial the office from home and be connected to the office network as if they were at the office (albeit connected slowly).

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 08:57 AM

---
( Last edited by RayX; May 20, 2006 at 06:16 AM. )

jamesl  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 06:42 PM

Also, we are looking at creating a portable hard drive, by inserting a standard hard druive into a case. However, if i was to do this, would i be able to read and wrote files from both macs and pcs to this same hard drive? How would i format the drive to do so?

PS, it will be a firewire case which i used, with a standatrd pc hard drive.

thanks

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 08:39 PM

Also, we are looking at creating a portable hard drive, by inserting a standard hard druive into a case. However, if i was to do this, would i be able to read and wrote files from both macs and pcs to this same hard drive? How would i format the drive to do so?

thanks
You shouldn't have a problem. Format the drive with a PC. OSX can recognize a drive formatted with a PC. The PC can't recognize a drive formatted with a Mac without special software, if I'm not mistaken.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by discotronic:
You shouldn't have a problem. Format the drive with a PC. OSX can recognize a drive formatted with a PC. The PC can't recognize a drive formatted with a Mac without special software, if I'm not mistaken.
If you want to use Mac formatted hard drive on a PC, you will need something like MacDrive.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 12:27 PM

Here's a list of 64 MB USB drives, with prices starting at $12.48.

If your colleagues can go to the movies, then they can buy this device. I like the suggestion of buying some in bulk to make it easy for people.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 03:03 AM

thanks
Buy a Firewire hard drive. If you put a drive in an enclosure you're not going to get any warranty or support for it. If you buy a pre-assembled drive you're going to get support from the company you bought it from.

I'm not really seeing the utility of a FW drive in this situation. If you only need to share small files you can find extremely cheap USB drives which will be more compatible than Firewire drives since PCs have come standard with USB for a while now but few have Firewire.

WmLambert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 12:09 AM

But what do you do when you absolutely have to read a floppy - because that is where the data is? My eMac can read just about everything - but I have close to 50 old floppies with artwork on them that I need for a publication. I went through floogle and got the lowest priced USB floppy drive available - a TEAC FD-05PUB for under $20. It arrived within a week but won't put an icon on the desktop when reading a disk. I emailed the company - they researched it for me and said they tried the drive on a Mac and it worked fine. Triangle Laptops sent out another free of charge in case the first was Kaput, and it behaves the same way.

Perhaps a better disk drive will work that has external power? I guess I'll send these back to them. I appreciate their support, but still need to read these disks. I thought it would be nice to have the capability - but maybe I should just find an old computer somewhere and take the eternity necessary to copy them onto a zip drive or CD.

new newton
Banned
Dec 15, 2005, 03:05 AM

USB powered floppy drives have always worked well and without drivers, in my experience. If you need the data on the disks, what on Earth are you doing storing it on floppies? I can think of few methods that are less reliable. It's entirely possible that the floppy you tried to read was just dead.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2005, 04:38 AM

WmLambert - what OS are you runningon the eMac?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by WmLambert
But what do you do when you absolutely have to read a floppy - because that is where the data is? My eMac can read just about everything - but I have close to 50 old floppies with artwork on them that I need for a publication. I went through floogle and got the lowest priced USB floppy drive available - a TEAC FD-05PUB for under $20. It arrived within a week but won't put an icon on the desktop when reading a disk. I emailed the company - they researched it for me and said they tried the drive on a Mac and it worked fine. Triangle Laptops sent out another free of charge in case the first was Kaput, and it behaves the same way.

Perhaps a better disk drive will work that has external power? I guess I'll send these back to them. I appreciate their support, but still need to read these disks. I thought it would be nice to have the capability - but maybe I should just find an old computer somewhere and take the eternity necessary to copy them onto a zip drive or CD.
If the disks are 800KB Mac disks then you're out of luck - as tooki explained a few weeks back, the variable speed floppy drive was a special Apple device that is no longer produced. You'll have to find an old Mac if you want to read the disks, and once you do you definitely need to copy the data over to a drive or CD as soon as you can.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 06:45 AM

Have you priced USB floppy drives lately? The USB thumb drives will be cheaper!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

WmLambert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 01:48 PM

The art files are old - that's why they are on floppies. The dead sea scrolls were on parchment, weren't they? Old things are often inconvenient.

My eMac is running OS X 10.3.9 - and I believe it should read USB floppy drives without additional drivers needed. I did have trouble getting low power warning dialogue boxes when I had to plug in my scanner, printers, hubs, external Zipdrive and camera cradle, and had to move them around until I got a constellation of plug-ins that worked. I've disconnected all other USB externals and just had the TEAC floppy drive plugged in directly to the eMac.

When I stick in an MF2DD floppy the green LED flashes , the drive hums, wiggles, and shakes - and then - zilch!

I may bite the bullet today and go to Granma's house where my old PowerTower Pro resides. It will surely read them, because it wrote them originally. But know I wonder if the internal Zip drive will write to 250mB Zips - or if I have to dig up some old 100's before going over there...
Actually it will be a good break from shoveling snow.

Thanks for input, folks - hope you all have a Merry Christmas, and a happy holiday season!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by aljawad

The internal Mac floppy drives are the exception. These will not work, although I thought I saw open source drivers for them somewhere a long time ago.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by WmLambert
The art files are old - that's why they are on floppies. The dead sea scrolls were on parchment, weren't they? Old things are often inconvenient.

My eMac is running OS X 10.3.9 - and I believe it should read USB floppy drives without additional drivers needed. I did have trouble getting low power warning dialogue boxes when I had to plug in my scanner, printers, hubs, external Zipdrive and camera cradle, and had to move them around until I got a constellation of plug-ins that worked. I've disconnected all other USB externals and just had the TEAC floppy drive plugged in directly to the eMac.

When I stick in an MF2DD floppy the green LED flashes , the drive hums, wiggles, and shakes - and then - zilch!

I may bite the bullet today and go to Granma's house where my old PowerTower Pro resides. It will surely read them, because it wrote them originally. But know I wonder if the internal Zip drive will write to 250mB Zips - or if I have to dig up some old 100's before going over there...
Actually it will be a good break from shoveling snow.

Thanks for input, folks - hope you all have a Merry Christmas, and a happy holiday season!
Yeah, since you mention 2DD, they must be Mac formatted double density 800KB disks; no external floppy drive will read them. That's why it's a good idea to keep one older Mac around. At least your grandmother will be happy to see you.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 02:29 PM

buy a load of thumb drives and give them out.

Where i work the staff are constantly loosing work as they ahve it on floppies - i simply explain how old-tech floppies are and have no sympathy (yep im mean). I tell them to buy a thumbdrive - nearly all the staff have them now!
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2005, 05:09 PM

USB!!!! These are cheaper than ANY Mac floppy I've ever seen, and they're compatible with EVERYTHING I've tried them on. I've used them to transfer data from a work PC to my wife's iBook and vice versa, to keep documents I edit on whichever platform is handy, and so on. The very best option in my opinion is the USB, flash-based "thumb" drive.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduser63
Dec 17, 2005, 12:14 PM

This thread was started over a year ago. I'm pretty confident that the OP's issue with colleagues using floppy was solved a long time ago. Somebody revived the thread asking for help with a floppy drive that doesn't seem to work. It seems 95% likely that it's because he's trying to read 800 KB DD floppies in it, and those don't work on any external USB floppy drive. I have a bunch of those disks, and they have important stuff on them, so I've been slowly transferring them to zip disks and then CD-Rs using my Mac II. AFAIK, that's the only way to do it. Find an old Mac that can read/write 800 K disks, and then use that to transfer them to something more modern like zip disks (which will work in System 6) or CDs.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

WmLambert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 02:46 PM

Problems, problems, problems...

Yeah, so like I said, I went to Grandma's house and transferred the contents of the old floppy disks onto a 100mB Zip, and brought them back and uploaded them via my 100-250mB Zip drive to my eMac. These pieces of artwork were created with Freehand 3.1+ some upgrades - which are anybody's guess!

Freehand MX 11.0.1 won't read the ones named Artwork.FH - but at least the ones labelled Artwork.eps come over fine and can be opened in Illustrator or Freehand. So I've got about 50 files with the .FH extension, and changing it to something else doesn't work either.

So now the new task is to reload the original Freehand Graphics Studio 7, in which I originally created them - and lo and behold! I can't find the serial number. I tried the Warez cracks hacker numbers and they didn't work - so now I'm going through decades-old paperwork looking for an old piece of paper with my original serial number on it.

Sigh! Ain't nothing easy...

Forum Links
Forum Rules