Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > quicktime locks up while watching videos

quicktime locks up while watching videos
lAwrencex
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 12:42 PM

for some reason my quicktime started locking up in the middle of videos all of a sudden. the audio will play on but the picture will lock on a frame after a few seconds and won't change until you pause the video and unpause it. it's so annoying and it just happened out of the blue. doesn anyone have any suggestions?
17" aluminum powerbook/ 1.67 / 100 gig / superdrive

pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2006, 08:39 AM

Which os x version and which quicktime version are you running and on which model ?

lAwrencex  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 06:12 PM

im using quicktime 7.0.4 on a 17 inch powerbook 1.67 running os 10.4.4 this problem didn't start after any os update or quicktime update. it was very much out of the blue and is incredibly annoying.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by lAwrencex
im using quicktime 7.0.4 on a 17 inch powerbook 1.67 running os 10.4.4 this problem didn't start after any os update or quicktime update. it was very much out of the blue and is incredibly annoying.

I just recently upgraded to QuickTime 7.0.4 and Mac OS X 10.4.4 and I noticed the same exact thing. Videos that used to play fine, no longer played smoothly... it would skip and stutter and it was unwatchable. But, there IS hope! I went into QuickTime Preferences and I turned off "Use High Quality Video Setting When Available". Now my movies play smoothly again. I'm not sure why QT 7.0.4 has a problem when 7.0.3 didn't but, this trick seems to have cleared it up quite a bit. Try it out and let us know if it cures the problems.

lAwrencex  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 07:12 PM

it didn't work. this glitch actually happened before i installed qt 7.0.4 i thought mayhbe it would have cleared it up but unfortunately it didn't. any other suggestions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules