Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > mount razr as usb device

mount razr as usb device
pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2006, 12:44 PM

how can i mount my razr as a usb device [to transfer files skins ringtones etc...] i can sync but the razr won't mount as a usb dive

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 03:41 AM

I'm pretty sure you can't do as you suggest. It doesn't have enough RAM to worry about using it in this way anyway. What were you trying to do?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

pyn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2006, 08:12 PM

i don't want to bother with my crappy windows box to load some skins on it.. thanks anyway..

is it possible to use it with iphoto though?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2006, 10:49 PM

The Motorola OS is pretty specific for what it will and won't work with. It works with iSync but just to sync address book and calendar data and (maybe) pictures. Depending on what form the skins are in, this might help you.

And it doesn't just take a Windows machine to properly talk to such Motorola phones; it also takes Motorola's "Mobile Phone Tools" software (which you can find for $30 or less if you look around). This is powerful stuff; it does quite a lot of formatting and converting for you. I took some MP3 clips I wanted for ringtones and just shortened them for looping (about 10 seconds works great for most ringtones). The software converted the clips to mono, reencoded them to the proper bitrate and stored them in the right spot with only a couple of clicks. Worthwhile if you're going to play a lot with your phone.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 11:08 PM

The RAZR is pretty low on functionality, it won't even work with Salling clicker. My wife, brother, mom & dad have them and they're nice for being slim, but they don't seem to be very advanced.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 11:39 AM

You don't abolutely need the Mobile Phone Tools for the Razr (v3) for most functions. Mine works just fine using Bluetooth, to sync and transfer files. As ghporter pointed out, it does make some things easier, but you could do those yourself anyway, just with a few extra steps.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by schalliol
The RAZR is pretty low on functionality, it won't even work with Salling clicker. My wife, brother, mom & dad have them and they're nice for being slim, but they don't seem to be very advanced.
or rather it does everything but work with sailing clicker.
ice

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2006, 09:03 AM

I just use Bluetooth to send things to and from my RAZR. Works great. You can use just about any MIDI file as a ringtone, which is pretty cool. It's also an easy way to get pictures to and from the phone.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 17, 2006, 09:42 AM

Well for a game platform, PIM, Internet browser platform and camera it's pretty simplistic. For a phone, it's great. Since I already have all those other things, not being able to do non-phone things on the bleeding edge isn't much of a problem for me...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2006, 10:53 AM

I have just got a RAZR 3i, with a Transflash RAM slot - and this is supposed to mount as a USB storage device - the Motorola instructions even mention that it works with OSX. Only problem is, there's a software fault in the phone, and the "connections" menu just isn't there (normally you'd goto connections, and enable USB storage). The phone is at Motorola service right now getting re-flashed with new firmware. Hopefully they'll sort it out because this is a feature I really want.

joe
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I just use Bluetooth to send things to and from my RAZR. Works great. You can use just about any MIDI file as a ringtone, which is pretty cool. It's also an easy way to get pictures to and from the phone.
Could you give us more details about retrieving the photos? Is Bluetooth a requirement? My G5 Tower doesn't have Bluetooth so I bought the RAZR's mini USB cable instead. That works fine with iSync for email addresses and phone numbers. But iPhoto won't recognize it as a camera and I haven't had any luck getting it to mount as a USB device

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Feb 20, 2006, 07:37 PM

Well considering Salling Clicker only supports Sony Ericsson phones and Series 60 smart phones, of course it won't work. Neither will any other Motorolla, Samsung, or most Nokias (except the Nokia Series 60 phones). I thought that was made pretty clear on the site, but I guess not.

To transfer files using Bluetooth, just use the Bluetooth File Exchange program located in Applications > Utilities. This will work for images and ringtones just fine. Skins are another story, however. That will require Mobile Phone Tools I believe. I actually like the techno skin that came with my v330 just fine, so I left it with that one. Check out www.howardforums.com for some more information. It's the best cell phone forum on the net and there are lots of mac users there. FYI: the v330 and the v551 use the same firmware as the RAZR, so almost any posts regarding those phones will relate to the RAZR as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules