Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 1G Shuffle vs Nano???

1G Shuffle vs Nano???
dennett
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 11:54 AM

With my Educator discount the prices are $89 vs $129, which would be the right choice? The Nano no doubt looks incredibly cool and it would be nice to be able to more fully access it's content, plus it's really not that much bigger. The Shuffle on the other hand is truly tiny and at $89 is nearly a throwaway type of price. I'd be using it out in the yard, bike riding, working out, etc. What do you guys think? I currently have a 6 month old 20gb Color iPod and love it. Would any of the items I've bought for it work with either the Shuffle or Nano, FM transmitter, car charger, monster cable stereo attachment? As you can tell, I'm not too well versed on the iPod world...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 12:28 PM

Both are incredible small; the Nano isn't that much bigger, really. If you ever think you'll want the screen-based functionalities (playlists, having the ability to select a specific artist/album/song to play, etc.), then get the Nano. If you ONLY care about shuffling the music, the Shuffle might be the way to go, but honestly the Nano barely costs more and is probably worth it given the extra features.

I have a Shuffle; bought it before the Nano was released. I like it a lot, but sometimes wish I could do the screen-based things. (I also have a 3G 15 gig, but prefer the lightness of the Shuffle.)
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

webb3201
Senior User
Feb 14, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dennett
With my Educator discount the prices are $89 vs $129, which would be the right choice? The Nano no doubt looks incredibly cool and it would be nice to be able to more fully access it's content, plus it's really not that much bigger. The Shuffle on the other hand is truly tiny and at $89 is nearly a throwaway type of price. I'd be using it out in the yard, bike riding, working out, etc. What do you guys think? I currently have a 6 month old 20gb Color iPod and love it. Would any of the items I've bought for it work with either the Shuffle or Nano, FM transmitter, car charger, monster cable stereo attachment? As you can tell, I'm not too well versed on the iPod world...

I recommend the Nano, especially if its your first/only iPod. The shuffles are nice, but having the ability to better control the experience with the Nano is worth the 40.00 price delta. The machine seems compact and durable enough to use in yard work etc.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 07:39 AM

So far, smaller is better. I have a full-sized, iPod photo. It's in a cabinet and my wife has been bugging me to put it up on eBay. I've rarely touched it since getting a shuffle awhile back. Even though I've had the 1st gen. 5GB and a 10GB one with the red-glowing touch buttons, the tiny, disposable shuffle was my favorite iPod ever.

Until the nano, that is. I bought a 1GB nano and now it's my favorite. The size advantage of the shuffle, but with a screen. Do I wish I could carry around some BSG or The Office episodes? Sure. Still, I'm loving the nano.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2006, 02:48 PM

I have an iPod Shuffle and I do love the size, as well as the fact I can use it as a USB flash drive without a separate adapter. The ONLY thing I don't like about the iPod Shuffle, that I didn't know until I purchased it, is that I can't sync it with one computer, then connect it to a different computer with iTunes and play the music (not copy, not sync, play) in iTunes off the iPod Shuffle like I use to with my 2nd generation Firewird iPod.

My question is, does the iPod Nano allow this? Could I sync it with my home computer where I have all of my songs downloaded to it, then bring it into work and plug it into my work computer (both PC's) and play the music on the iPod Nano on my desktop without copying the music to my work computer?
Troy Murray

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2006, 03:40 PM

If your iPod is set to auto-synch, it is tied to one particular user's iTunes library. If it is in manual mode, it isn't tied to a particular library and can be used to play music through the computer. If the shuffle does not work in that fashion like other iPods, that's a limitation of the shuffle.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2006, 03:48 PM

Is that how you use the Nano?
Troy Murray

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2006, 03:55 PM

I don't have a nano, but it should function like the other iPods; I haven't read anything that would suggest it doesn't function like the others.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 08:08 PM

Well after years and years of wanting an iPod my 1G shuffle arrived today (couldn't resist the $95 price at amazon with free shipping). I just ran with it - its AWESOME! I workout a lot - run, bike, ski, lift so this is the one for me - i don't want to be messing around with a screen. i just loaded it up with good songs and hit shuffle and away we go. i like that you can keep songs in order if you want - for those days you say - you know i just want to hear some cure.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

Forum Links
Forum Rules