Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm goin' to Sebring 12 HR. (American LeMans) March 18th

I'm goin' to Sebring 12 HR. (American LeMans) March 18th
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2006, 02:11 PM

I lost my camera a few weeks ago but I'm getting a new one in a few days, I'm excited!

Audi will be debuting their diesel powered racer(R10). The R10 is powered by a 5.5-liter turbocharged aluminum V-12 diesel engine produces 650 HP and weighs 2000lbs.

Aston Martin, Porsche, Mazda, BMW, Panoz, Vette C6-R, Maserati MC12(Enzo sister), Viper, Saleen S7 etc..

Saturday, March 18th, 'round 10.30am it starts. I'm stoked!

The Budweiser Clydesdales will be there too. Now THAT'S A PARTY.

any of you florida peeps wanna roll out?!
ice

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2006, 02:19 PM

My father and brother are headed down there as well. I'm not a big race fan myself though...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 03:32 PM

i might be going to the MotoGp race at Laguna Seca this summer. But your trip sounds fricking awesome, make sure you post those pics.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2006, 03:36 PM

Congratulations on the new camera, I hope that you will have a good time.

Hopefully you will post some pictures.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

milhous
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 08:52 PM

definitely get pics of the R10, and the fact that it's diesel-powered makes it most impressive! have fun!
F = ma

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2006, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by milhous
definitely get pics of the R10, and the fact that it's diesel-powered makes it most impressive! have fun!
I understand the idea is to sell more diesel powered cars in the US.

none for me, thanks. I'm drivin'.
but it'll be a beast of a racecar, and promise I'll take some mother****ing photogs of that ****.
ice

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2006, 04:40 AM

The R10 is powered by a 5.5-liter turbocharged aluminum V-12 diesel engine produces 650 HP and weighs 2000lbs.

I'm so drunk.

The R10 is powered by a 5.5-liter turbocharged aluminum V-12 diesel engine produces 650 HP and weighs 2000lbs.

ice

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2006, 10:08 AM

HAHAHA Diesel at races !! Don't let Bernie & Max know about this !! No wonder Audi has some magazine ads telling bullshit like there will be a Diesel engine in F1 someday…

5.5 litres V12 and turbocharged delivering 650 HP… and people think that is great !?

What is next for VAG, a Diesel Lambo ? Maybe you American people don't know it but honestly DIESEL SUCKS big time.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2006, 10:52 AM

You MIGHT be interested in knowing that a diesel powered car won the Indy 500 many years ago, so don't be shocked if this car is somewhat competitive. Diesels make insane amounts of torque, and that's what is most important in road racing. Also, their fuel mileage is superior, and that's a big plus in racing.

Have a great time at the track man. I'm going to a driver's school at New Hampshire International Speedway to get my road racing license in April, only 6 weeks away, I can hardly wait!

Tom

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2006, 12:11 PM

Don't forget Formula 1 in Indianapolis July 2, I got my tickets yesterday.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2006, 12:40 PM

Diesel Pros and Cons… great torque is the only good thing they have, once you put all sort of tech on them fuel mileage is not that insanely superior, and that engine is awful big… 5.5 litres… take a F1 engine side by side with it and we would have a good laugh.

You know what?, people over Europe is crazy about Diesel engines because automakers place turbos, multivalvles and all sort of stuff on them so their super-mini cars (barely four meters cars) are speedy… and do a 'ra-ta-ta' hell of noise, and come with lots of brivations and bring smoke out to your live like hell… but since Diesel oil 'was' way more affordable than petrol and the turbocharged models fooled people thinking they have some kind of sporty toy, automakers sell them more and more, even when the Diesel model is more $$$ than the petrol powered model… they just need to try a good petrol engine and will change their mind…

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 11, 2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
HAHAHA Diesel at races !! Don't let Bernie & Max know about this !! No wonder Audi has some magazine ads telling bullshit like there will be a Diesel engine in F1 someday…

5.5 litres V12 and turbocharged delivering 650 HP… and people think that is great !?

What is next for VAG, a Diesel Lambo ? Maybe you American people don't know it but honestly DIESEL SUCKS big time.
PSST tell that to Audi (Europe). Not America.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2006, 06:11 PM

Audi took home the overall championship last year (and the year previous I think?) with the R8, I'm sure they don't plan on running a sub-stellar car this time around.
ice

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2006, 06:17 PM

~~~~
( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Mar 11, 2006 at 06:34 PM. )
ice

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2006, 06:33 PM

Porsche RS Spyder will be racing as well

The car:
The heart of the new Porsche LMP2 is its newly designed 3.4-liter, 90-degree, V-8 engine. Limited to 480 horsepower at 10,100 rpm by ACO air restrictor regulations, the power plant is lightweight with a very low center of gravity. It features four valves per cylinder, a dry sump lubrication system, and an air intake manifold with individual-cylinder throttle valves.

The engine is mated to a Porsche-engineered, sequential, six-speed constant mesh transmission. A structural part of the car, the gearbox is operated via a paddle shift system on the steering wheel and incorporates a triple-disc carbon fiber racing clutch.

Like the 1998 911 GT1 racecar and current Carrera® GT street car, the Porsche LMP2's monocoque chassis is constructed of carbon fiber. Attached to this strong yet lightweight framework (built to the latest safety standards of international road racing) is a front and rear double-wishbone suspension with ball joints, adjustable front and rear anti-roll bars, and ZF Sachs four-way shock absorbers.

For optimal stopping performance, the braking system includes twin master cylinders, adjustable brake balance, and internally vented carbon brake discs (380 mm front and 355 mm rear). For driver comfort and safety, the new prototype is equipped with power steering and a tire pressure control system. An integral partner in the car's development process, Michelin is supplying race tires for the new Porsche prototype.

Similar to modern aircraft construction, the bodywork is comprised of carbon fiber reinforced by Kevlar composites. Incorporating an adjustable rear wing, it has been created for maximum aerodynamic efficiency and the lowest possible weight and replacement cost. Considering the car is intended for customer teams, its LMP2 mandated weight of 1,705 lb. or 775 kg. was achieved through an integrated lightweight design rather than the mere use of expensive and exotic materials.

The drivers
Sascha Maassen and Lucas Luhr, who drove the car to its inaugural LMP2 class win at Laguna Seca last October, and Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas, who teamed up for a very successful Series GT2 season in 2005, will be the season-long team drivers. For the longer races - the upcoming Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring and Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in September - requiring three drivers, Emmanuel Collard and American Patrick Long will join the regulars.

Maassen, originally from Germany and now living in Belgium, is the most successful GT driver in American Le Mans Series history (22 wins) and has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 12 Hours of Sebring (four times) and the Series GT2 championship (three times). Luhr, also originally from Germany and now living in Monaco, has also won at Le Mans, also won Sebring four times, and shared in the Series GT2 championship with Maassen 2002 - 2003 - all in Porsche 911 GT3 RS/RSR race cars. Lucas and Sascha moved on to the European FIA-GT N/GT Series in 2004, where they won the championship in a Porsche 911 GT3 RSR.

Bernhard (Germany) and Dumas (France) won four Series GT2 events in 2005 in their Alex Job Racing Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, and finished a close second in the year-end championship. Bernhard won the Series GT2 title in 2004.

Emmanuel Collard, originally from France and now living in England, has won a race in Series (with Maassen and Luhr at Petit Le Mans in 2004). Collard was co-champion in the GT2 class in the FIA-GT Series this past season, and also won the 2005 Le Mans European Series LMP1 championship.

Patrick Long, originally from Los Angeles and now living in Las Vegas, as the only American employed as a Porsche factory driver, teamed with Jorg Bergmeister this past year to win the American Le Mans Series GT2 class championship in the Petersen Motorsports/White Lightning Racing Porsche 911 GT3 RSR. Also, Long and Bergmeister were named as a American Auto Race Writers and Broadcasters (AARWBA) All-American racing first team selection for their efforts. Long has won the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 24 Hours of Le Mans, both with Petersen/White Lightning.
ice

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2006, 06:53 PM

You know what?, people over Europe is crazy about Diesel engines because automakers place turbos, multivalvles and all sort of stuff on them so their super-mini cars (barely four meters cars) are speedy… and do a 'ra-ta-ta' hell of noise, and come with lots of brivations and bring smoke out to your live like hell… but since Diesel oil 'was' way more affordable than petrol and the turbocharged models fooled people thinking they have some kind of sporty toy, automakers sell them more and more, even when the Diesel model is more $$$ than the petrol powered model… they just need to try a good petrol engine and will change their mind…
What the heck are you rambling about ?

Well, you don't seem to have a lot of clue about diesel engines in Europe.

The MAIN reason why diesel is so popular is the fuel economy, paired with subsidized diesel fuel.
The great torque is reason for some as well.

-t

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 07:17 PM

I get to go to wilmington deleware on the 18th. I bet I'll have more fun taping a community forum then you will watching the race.......

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2006, 07:37 PM

Kicked a V8's ass with a 2.5 TDi many, many times. You don't look at the BHP with a diesel - you look at the lbs/ft.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ambush
Banned
Mar 11, 2006, 07:52 PM

You'll get to hang out with rich people

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2006, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
The MAIN reason why diesel is so popular is the fuel economy, paired with subsidized diesel fuel.
The great torque is reason for some as well.

-t
Well, I read about economy in my post… but the price difference between fuels is no more that huge (at least in my country) as it used to be in the 90s 80s and so… Diesel version of cars are always more expensive than petrol versions, you have to do a huge amount of mileage to the additional Diesel cost being worth. Again, torque is the only worth thing Diesel engines are about… but for some it doesn't mean a **** because Diesel are noisy and come with brivations all the place, but automakers fool people just doing a great job isolating the engine noise… and most Diesel engines deliver the power in a 'non polite way'… there is a 'push' and that is all, some people can like it, but if that is 'excellence' in technology I am made by gold… the noise is still there, just drive any diesel and let the engine down to low revs (when you would like to shift some gear down) and you are going to hear the typical annoying 'glot glot glot' diesel engines noise… or an easier one, place your Diesel inside a garage that has some sort of inner door and you are going to hear how fun a diesel car is… hell everytime I am on a red light I can hear any sort of Diesel model car near me… it doesn't matter if it is a TDI, HDI… just because they (Diesel engines) are not the freaking noise machines they used to be in the past doesn't mean they are 'silent' nowadays.

And petrol engines are not longer that fuel' suckers they used to be… there are some V8 beast with almost 600 HP and a displacement of 5.5 litres with a torque about 800Nm that gets barely a fuel consumption 10 l/100 km, if that isn't excellence in engine technology…

If you like Diesel engines, I have no problem with it, good for you, but they are not the 'panacea' the media and some automakers marketing dept want to spread over the world.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2006, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Kicked a V8's ass with a 2.5 TDi many, many times. You don't look at the BHP with a diesel - you look at the lbs/ft.
What kind of V8 dinosaur are you talking about? It has to be a shame for the automotive world! Could be it was just a sticker?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2006, 12:41 PM

Diesel version of cars are always more expensive than petrol versions
That's just plain wrong. Let's take my Jeep - exactly the same price for the 2.5 TDi or the 4.0 petrol.

What kind of V8 dinosaur are you talking about?
Whatever it was they used to put in Landy Discoveries and Range Rovers.

Did you know that the previous generation BMW 330D accelerates faster than the 330i?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2006, 03:08 PM

Ice, still waiting for pics of hot chix. What's wrong with you ?

-t

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
That's just plain wrong. Let's take my Jeep - exactly the same price for the 2.5 TDi or the 4.0 petrol.

Whatever it was they used to put in Landy Discoveries and Range Rovers.

Did you know that the previous generation BMW 330D accelerates faster than the 330i?
Where do you live? -if I can ask- Nevertheless for the same money you are getting a 2.5 diesel (four cyl?) engine instead of a four litres (six cyl?) petrol engine?, I think that is a clear example of Diesel being way more expensive.

Oh please… a Disco or/and a Range Rover… and don't take me wrong, those are nothing close to a great example of a good petrol engine inside of the right car But yes, that kind of vehicles are easily a good example where you can use a Diesel engine, but Diesel is not a kind of 'one size fits all' engine. Give me instead a petrol engine any day of the week.

Don't know about the bimmers engines, I don't like them really… nevertheless that kind of comparison is typical nowadays… being honest it doesn't mean much for me, maybe in bmw world that is the best a diesel engine a 3 series can get, but I am sure bmw has better petrol engines and that 330d is not the fastest 3 series, huh?, place them face by face The only Diesel powered car I could give a look is the Mercedes-Benz CSC CDI AMG, it is a 'rara avis' but even so… give me the same Mercedes-Benz CSC AMG with petrol engine all the way.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 12, 2006, 06:16 PM

It's just different, and would be neat if they could take the championship for the entire racing season vs. the petrol rides.

now shuddup aboutdit and talk about sick race cars
ice

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2006, 04:20 PM

I'm off at about 8 AM tomorrow for the track, I think it's a 1.5hr drive to get there

My friend is already up there with his 700HP 427ci. Z06 Vette in the 'Corvette Corral' which is set up right next to the 'Porsche Corral' which is where we'll be.. I'm gonna fill up my 1 gig card with my new (replacement) camera!

I'm excited!
ice

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
My friend is already up there with his 700HP 427ci. Z06 Vette in the 'Corvette Corral' which is set up right next to the 'Porsche Corral' which is where we'll be.\
I only get my hair cut at the Cotton Corral.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2006, 03:34 AM

Diesel Audi Triumphs at Sebring Twelve Hours
Written by: ALMS MediaSebring, Fla. – 3/18/2006

McNish, Kristensen and Capello celebrate the first-ever Sebring victory by a diesel-powered machine. (Greg Aleck/Fastlines photo)

Audi Sport North America made history Saturday as the diesel-powered Audi R10 TDI of Tom Kristensen, Allan McNish and Rinaldo Capello won the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. The new prototype is the first diesel car in the world to win a major sports car race.

"Our R10 TDI is a real racing car," Kristensen said. "Over two stints, you can drive it very precisely, which is a combination of the diesel power and immense torque. It's simply pure fun to drive it."

The No. 2 Audi won the opening race of the 2006 American Le Mans Series by three laps over Intersport Racing's No. 37 Lola B05/40-AER. After winning the pole position, the No. 2 car had to have its heat exchanger switched before the race and had to start the race from pit lane and in 34th position. But by the two-hour mark, the pole-sitting car had moved back into the lead when the No. 1 sister car had to pit.

Kristensen gave the No. 2 car the lead for good when Marco Werner, driving with defending Series champions Frank Biela and Emanuele Pirro in the No. 1 Audi R10 TDI, pulled the car into the garage just shy of the four-hour mark. Shortly thereafter, the car was retired due to overheating.

That left Kristensen, Capello and McNish to comfortably run out front. Kristensen added yet another record to his already impressive résumé. He is now has four overall wins at Sebring, the most in the race's 54-year history. He also has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans seven times, including the last six in a row.

Intersport Racing stole the thunder from Penske Racing in LMP2, outlasting the two Porsche RS Spyders for the team's second class win at Sebring. Defending class champion Clint Field teamed with his father Jon Field and Liz Halliday for the victory over the No. 6 Penske Porsche, which lost drive after 323 laps while leading.

Like the Audi, Intersport's Lola also came from the rear of the field after turning in one qualifying lap Thursday.

Olivier Beretta, Oliver Gavin and Jan Magnussen gave Corvette Racing got a measure of revenge in GT1 by beating Aston Martin Racing in a rematch from lasT year. The trio from the No. 4 Corvette C6.R won at Sebring for the first time as a group. They topped Aston Martin Racing's No. 009 Aston Martin DBR9 of Pedro Lamy, Jason Bright and Stephane Sarrazin by a lap.

The victory gives Beretta 25 career Series victories, the most in its eight-year history. Magnussen also has won at least one race in each of the eight years of the American Le Mans Series.

In GT2, David Brabham, Scott Maxwell and reigning Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais piloted their No. 50 Panoz Esperante of Multimatic Motorsports Team Panoz to a 33-second victory. The trio beat the No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche of Johannes van Overbeek, Jon Fogarty and Marc Lieb for only the second Series win for the Panoz Esperante GTLM.

Four different marques - Panoz, Porsche, BMW and Ferrari - all led laps during the race, which featured 25 lead changes in class.
ice

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2006, 03:36 AM

It was freakin' awesome. Super-fun time, I'm wasted. G'night!
ice

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 04:51 AM

Pix Please
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules