Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > BlacBook may have flaking problems with its matte black finish (Pic!)

BlacBook may have flaking problems with its matte black finish (Pic!) (Page 3)
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 10:17 AM

I took my fingernail and ran it down the palmrest on the black MB. No damage at all.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 24, 2006, 10:26 AM

Ouch. I'm surprised at how many people are going into stores to intentionally try to scratch the MacBook.

Given this thread I can sort of understand why I suppose, but still...

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
I took my fingernail and ran it down the palmrest on the black MB. No damage at all.
Me too. There were no marks at all. The BlackMacBook looks really nice in person. If it only had a real video card....<sigh>
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

kw99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 12:22 AM

What is that photo of the "flakey" Black MacBook supposed to show? It looks someone touched it after eating french fries and left a grease stain.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Ouch. I'm surprised at how many people are going into stores to intentionally try to scratch the MacBook.

Given this thread I can sort of understand why I suppose, but still...
I think it's perfectly justified. I mean, if it'd been a real problem, this would've helped to uncover it; since it's apparently not, people probably aren't doing any damage to these floor models. It's not like folks are using their keys when, to their disappointment, fingernails don't work. (Or are they?)

I should note that I haven't done it on the one BlackBook I've seen up close, since I was too busy just gawking at its fabulous design. And cursing the fact that the store it's in doesn't have any flippin' internet for me to watch HD movie clips on.

pouceo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 09:25 AM

after spent 10 minutes with black MB in person.. I like it, I was so against the idea of having a black plastic (doesn't seem much different and but charge with higher price!)

I believe that some people intentionally try to damage the black model.. Yes, I agree that a scratch will be easily seen on a black MB.. I saw a white MB demo was badly trashed as many people just played it around like they didn't care..

I always wash my hands before I opened up my ibook, and gets really pissed off if people can't take good care on my baby..However, I still can see the unwashable area on wrist rest, which I think it wouldn't be a problem on black MB.

I don't think I would need a 13 MBP if a future MB will come with a better graphic card and ideally an express card..

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 05:35 PM

From the other thread...

LagunaSol
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 05:52 PM

My employer-issued Compaq laptop has the a black rubberized coating and it is showing damage similar to the Flickr photo. So if the MacBook is indeed experiencing this problem, it's not an issue exclusive to Apple.

My VW Passat also had rubberized black coating on the interior door pulls and the center console. It made for a very expensive and high-quality feeling (and looking) interior when new, but after several years it started to peel. That's life I suppose.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by LagunaSol
My employer-issued Compaq laptop has the a black rubberized coating and it is showing damage similar to the Flickr photo. So if the MacBook is indeed experiencing this problem, it's not an issue exclusive to Apple.

My VW Passat also had rubberized black coating on the interior door pulls and the center console. It made for a very expensive and high-quality feeling (and looking) interior when new, but after several years it started to peel. That's life I suppose.
I don't think anyone here really cares if it's exclusive to Apple or not. They just care if it happens to BlacBooks.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 07:24 PM

Is that a MacBook or a painted iBook?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 07:39 PM

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Is that a MacBook or a painted iBook?
it's not a macbook.

the macbook has an opening beneath the trackpad to open the lid.
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 07:41 PM

Did you read the other thread...?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 07:56 PM

If true, that's the same as the TiBook. My TiBook scratched like crazy along the edges of the machine, where my watchband frequently touched it. The paint also scratched off near all the ports. It looked hideous.

It could be fake though, the jury is still out.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 27, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I'm aghast at the number of people intentionally trying to damage a computer that they don't own. What's next dropping the laptop to test the sudden motion sensor or how about a hammer to test the plastic resiliency
~Mike

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 11:44 PM

People wouldn't be doing this if Apple hadn't developed a reputation for making poor quality hardware. eg the easily scratched iPod, the flaky tibook, the whining mbp, mysterious firmware updates, etc.

jwoods
Forum Regular
May 28, 2006, 12:12 AM

Aren't they made with the same plastic as on the iMacs and IPods? Are they flat black?

I figured they were painted on the inside, like the iMacs are.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2006, 07:03 AM

People wouldn't be doing this if Apple hadn't developed a reputation for making poor quality hardware. eg the easily scratched iPod, the flaky tibook, the whining mbp, mysterious firmware updates, etc.
You don't happen to think that's a slight exaggeration, do you?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 28, 2006, 07:25 AM

if Apple hadn't developed a reputation for making poor quality hardware..
Really developed a reputation of poor quality, that's news to me and the majority of Mac users.

Mike
~Mike

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 11:03 AM

It's become obvious over the past few years that Apple has forgone durability for the sake of aesthetics. The MBP is generally considered to be crap in terms of its build quality, and now Apple tells us that we can't put the MacBook on our laps because of heating problems. It would come as no surprise to me if they repeated the TiBook mistake and made flaky MacBooks.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 11:21 AM

And because of this opinion, you are justified in damaging the property of others?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2006, 11:25 AM

Let's not blow this out of proportion. Most people were talking about going up to a demo machine and trying to scratch it with a fingernail (which is what the first person who mentioned flaking problems supposedly did). They were just trying to see if it was in fact so easily damaged. Surely any computer should be able to stand up to that much.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 11:25 AM

cql
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 11:42 AM

Just got the black book. I was a little scared from all the complaints people had, but in the end I'm glad i got it. I think the black is just plan sleek and the white while crisp looking...does sway on the girly side for me ( no flames just MHO) .

I hear people complain about heat, wine, and finger print. I've had mine for about 3 days know. Let me tell you. no wine and quiet as any powerbook that i've one. Heat wise, its not that bad..computer do get hot live with it. Finally the finger print, my god just get a micron rag and wipe it down. The biggest advange for having the black, beside looks, is that if you ever have a scratch or blemish you could just buff it off with a rag. It is not that easy to buff out scraches on the white one.

I would also like to state that unless you have used one that was not in the store you can't make a fair judgement on the fingerprint issue and look of the blackbook. You notice the white on display at the apple store have scratches all over the the top usually...on the other hand the black one can be cleaned and buff with a micron rag within minutes to it orginal condition. So for all you black bashier.... don't bash if you have not seen other than the one that hundreds and thousand of people have mess and intentionally scratch. To sum up i'm very happy with my blackbook and don't take the bad review by alot of people whom only knowledge if from web not and not presonal expreince. When it come down to chosing a color, do so on wich one asthetically please you the most...the rest is just a bunch of people way over reacting.

Thanks for reading my rambling

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2006, 11:54 AM

I don't condone doing damage to anyone else's property, but the Apple Store is a different story altogether, for this reason...

Why do they have them set up? They're not for use, necessarily. They're for people to get a feel for the machine. Typing on the keyboard, observing the display, and examining the overall quality of the product. If someone takes a fingernail and scratches on the MacBook to see if the quality is sub-par, then I think that's totally okay. MacBooks are going to be rubbed and scratched on lightly on a constant basis. If they can't hold up to that, then you shouldn't buy one. If the black MacBook scratches too easily and/or "flakes," then it's a huge problem for mobile users. We need to see for ourselves sometimes, and IMHO that's what the Apple Stores are for.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 28, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
I don't condone doing damage to anyone else's property, but the Apple Store is a different story altogether, for this reason...

Why do they have them set up? They're not for use, necessarily. They're for people to get a feel for the machine.
Your saying that apple is displaying the computers for people damage. I thought it was to show off what they look like and how they work. Getting a feel for the machine should not entail trying remove the finish.
~Mike

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 04:36 PM

Agreed. Ikea makes easily damageable furniture but that doesn't justify going into their store and breaking their flimsy chairs.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2006, 05:29 PM

If any product has a finish that will rub off with a soft fingernail scratch, I sure as hell would want to know that before purchase.

craigb6
May 28, 2006, 05:49 PM

Agreed. Ikea makes easily damageable furniture but that doesn't justify going into their store and breaking their flimsy chairs.
LOL!!! Just imagine that, someone walking in and throwing a cabinet across the store just to see if the varnish comes off!

amazing
Professional Poster
May 28, 2006, 08:03 PM

This thread is now at 13 pages of comments. There has not been a single corroboration of the original allegation of plastic flaking off on the BlackBook. Nor has any turned up anywhere else on the web.

What's that tell ya?

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by cql
I think the black is just plan sleek and the white while crisp looking...does sway on the girly side for me ( no flames just MHO) .
Girly? I think not. White is neither "girly" nor "manly". It is white, a pretty neutral color. I sometimes tire of white, but I've never thought it was girly. If you were talking about pink, that would be another thing. But white? Perhaps you have some arbitrary association with the color white.

Like I said, sometimes I tire of white, and I was really hoping for a color change, but after seeing the black MacBook in person, I've realized that the white really looks best to me. First off, the black does make the MacBook look like a PC, and the easily visible grease marks are a big turn-off for me. It's funny, because no other prior black Macs had this problem. All PowerBooks were black once upon a time, and they didn't have this grease problem (I know, I had one).

The black does look better while playing a movie because it "disappears", but that cannot justify extra cost and aesthetically-unpleasing grease marks for me. Add to this that all the peripherals that come with the black MacBook are actually white, and it just doesn't do it for me.
( Last edited by Gamoe; May 29, 2006 at 01:01 AM. )

cql
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 12:12 AM

like i said imo to each it own, didn't make judgement...just MO. Wasn't making a personal attack...read it for what it is and CHILL..."IMO no flame remember"
( Last edited by cql; May 29, 2006 at 12:18 AM. )

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Girly? I think not. White is neither "girly" nor "manly". It is white, a pretty neutral color. I sometimes tire of white, but I've never thought it was girly. If you were talking about pink, that would be another thing. But white? Perhaps you have some arbitrary association with the color white.

Like I said, sometimes I tire of white, and I was really hoping for a color change, but after seeing the black MacBook in person, I've realized that the white really looks best to me. First off, the black does make the MacBook look like a PC, and the easily visible grease marks are a big turn-off for me. It's funny, because no other prior black Macs had this problem. All PowerBooks were black once upon a time, and they didn't have this grease problem (I know, I had one).

The black [I]does[I] look better while playing a movie because it "disappears", but that cannot justify extra cost and aesthetically-unpleasing grease marks for me. Add to this that all the peripherals that come with the black MacBook are actually white, and it just doesn't do it for me.

I thought the white was girly too. I tried to be practical cuz the white's cheaper. But right away my wife said it looked girly. Then a friend of mine used the same description. I thought it was more bathroom-y. I got a blackie!

ashesindust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 12:34 AM

Well here is the truth in my opinion the black Macbook does not look good and deep inside most people know it doesn't look good but don't want to accept it. It reallly looks like a old dell pc but its just my opinion.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 01:01 AM

All I can say is I opened mine to change the thermal paste and all that plastic inside is black too, so I have to believe it's solid black plastic.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by cql
like i said imo to each it own, didn't make judgement...just MO. Wasn't making a personal attack...read it for what it is and CHILL..."IMO no flame remember"
LOL... Yeah, that last line will surely protect you. I must remember to include that every time I write something incendiary!

In all seriousness, it wasn't a flame as such, just my own opnion, as you've expressed yours. 'Twas not an insult nor a personal attack.

I'm just a little tired of hearing how great *black*, the mainstream color for PC notebooks, is, and how horrible the white looks. This is nonsence. I've seen the black and I've seen the white and I was not impressed with the former. And I bet you a few years down the line these black MacBooks will look the worse for wear compared to their white brothers.

Originally Posted by Heavy
I thought the white was girly too.
Well, I think men who think white is girly are girly... so there!!

Originally Posted by Yandel
Well here is the truth in my opinion the black Macbook does not look good and deep inside most people know it doesn't look good but don't want to accept it. It reallly looks like a old dell pc but its just my opinion.
The truth hath been spoken!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Star-Fire
All I can say is I opened mine to change the thermal paste and all that plastic inside is black too, so I have to believe it's solid black plastic.
The black color scheme actually goes even further.

You know the plastic parts in the ports? The ones holding leads in the plug? USB has one wide piece in it's center, MagSafe has one holding the five conducting 'pads', FireWire has one in the center carrying the signal leads, MiniDVI has the same.

Apple has made sure these plastic pieces match the MB and MBP in color. On my MBP and Al PBs they're gray, on my BlackBook they're black and on my iBook they're white. I'm guessing they're white on the white MB too.

That's what I call attention to detail!

Now, why are there no black MiniDVI adapters and black MagSafe cables to go with the BlackBook?

Brien
Professional Poster
May 29, 2006, 04:13 AM

The same reason there's no black iPod headphones or cables?

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 12:38 PM

Kinda weird how black is a premium nowadays. Last year I wanted to buy a TV. I went everywhere and there were hardly any black TVs. My wife and I wanted a black one but every one's silver. we asked every store salesman if they could order a black one and they said "if I had a nickel everytime someone asked that..."

The same thing happened when I went to buy a small stereo/boom box. Everything was cheap silver and looks like some star wars props. They look horrible. Slowly electronics are finally coming back to black finish. I'm glad. But it sucks I had to pay more for it.

I know it's just preference, but could you imagine a TV in that smooth, plastic'y white ibook finish?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
This thread is now at 13 pages of comments. There has not been a single corroboration of the original allegation of plastic flaking off on the BlackBook. Nor has any turned up anywhere else on the web.

What's that tell ya?
Well, there was this pic:

But yeah, it does seem to be a fairly isolated incident.

Originally Posted by Star-Fire
What, and you didn't post pix? Shame on you!

Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 04:28 PM

That's not a MacBook.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hairllama
That's not a MacBook.
Originally Posted by Icruise

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by HarriganC
Does anyone even consider how many times you've seen disgusting dirt, sweat stains on ibook's palm rests/keyboards?
I also have never seen this...There are four-year-old iBooks at my university (which get a lot of use) and there is no discoloration...Perhaps the ones you have seen are owned by people with poor hygeine...*cringe*

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 05:00 PM

I agree with previous posters - the white is NOT girly!!! It's very contemporary and modern. In my in-store experience, the black (which scratches extremely easily, and not always buff-able) will look absolutely horrid in months of average use. Even in its new, unspoiled splendor, the white IMO is much more attractive. The white disguises scratches and fingerprints like the black cannot do, it's shiny (personal preference), the black looks like it has a chalkboard finish. Yuck. It just feels nasty (to the touch) - and yes, I think it looks like any other Dell or Gateway notebook. White for me.

rcl1221
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 01:37 AM

I am having the flaking issue with my black macbook. Above the top edge of the screen, at the lip of the lid. It looks like there is a clear, semi-translucent coating over black plastic. The coating is flaking off. And I have been treating the computer with kid gloves.

Not major, but I’d be interested in trying to get the computer replaced. Anybody have any idea on how I should go about doing this? Could really appreciate some good advice. It's barely noticable, and I'm almost positive that the rep at the store is "not going to be able to see it".

http://web.mac.com/ck420/iWeb/Site/macbook.html

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2006, 02:22 AM

Hmm. I can't really see what the problem is from the pictures.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 02:30 AM

I noticed some 'flaking' on a Blackbook at the Apple store. It was just around the bezel edges and I didn't find it to be noticeable unless you were looking for it. However time will tell how well the finish holds up under use.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Hmm. I can't really see what the problem is from the pictures.
It looks like it's just on the edges, if I'm seeing it correctly.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 12:04 PM

Eug Wanker,
I saw this on my MacBook and got nervous, I took a wet napkin and it came right off. Looked just like that, if that's your macbook, have you tried that yet?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 12:59 PM

It's not Eug's, it belongs to mac off, who started this other thread about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules