Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook and Panasonic UJ-845 DL Superdrive

MacBook and Panasonic UJ-845 DL Superdrive
azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2006, 12:04 PM

I just received the Panasonic UJ-845 Dual-layer Superdrive and I am contemplating whether to put it in my Powerbook, or save it for a MacBook.

Now, the big question is of course, will this drive fit in a MacBook and will it be recognized by the iApps/MacBook?

This way, buying a 1.83GHz and let an Apple Store put in the drive looks very appealing to me.
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 12:31 PM

don't think it'll fit in the MB. My understanding is that there isn't enough height in the case for the DL drive (one of the corners??) until you get to the roomy case of the 17" MBP.

azt33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2006, 05:38 PM

So there is no way this drive would work in a MacBook?

I guess I'll just put it in my Powerbook and wait for DL Superdrives, whether it will be in a MBP or MB.
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 05:56 PM

There was a great bit of indignation when the 15" MBP superdrive didn't have DL (since the previous AlPB did have DL)--then the 17" MBP came out with DL.

In any case, the 17" is 8X. You'd be better off getting an 16X DL drive for $40 and put it in a $45 fw-400/usb 2.0 case. You'd be able to switch it between Macs, and take it with you to whatever new laptop comes out.

azt33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2006, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I guess that is the wise thing to do. The thing is, I already have the drive in my hands, as my initial plan was to put it in the PB. I guess I'll stick to that for the time being, and upgrade the HDD too right now, and hang on till January when hopefully new MacBooks/MacBook Pro's will be announced together with Leopard

Thanks for your help Amazing!
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 09:11 PM

Well, I've also got a 12" 1.33 and I admire your fortitude in contemplating opening it up--by all accounts, it's a bear. My 60 is too small, so I've got a case the size of pack of cards with 120 GB in it. And I've got the external Pioneer 16X DL which is much faster than a superdrive. For the odd moment when I need to slip it into a backpack for a job on the road, it's not too cumbersome.

It'll definitely do quite well until the 2nd gen MB comes out.

kaido
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2006, 12:08 AM

Most laptops = 12.7mm optical drive
MacBook = new 9.5mm optical drive

Reason it's only 4x is because there are no 9.5mm optical drives at faster speeds available yet. Soon, I'm sure, and probably with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD or whatever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules